Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
All I can say is thank godness for streaming. We still watch Survivor and Jeapardy. Also the news and sports. We have our favourites on Streaming. Goliath, American Rust, Ted Lasso. Scenes from a Marriage, Only Murders in the Building, The Good Fight, Billions, The White Lotus, Better Call Saul, Money Heist, The Crown, Mare of Easttown, Your Honor.

And then there are others that we are hoping for new episodes. There is also a lot of crap on streaming too!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
As are all the Real Housewives. Absolutely atrocious people with zero self awareness can be quite compelling nauseating.
These types of shows are the very bottom of the barrel, IMHO. Utterly devoid of any redeeming qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Survivor, one of the oldest reality shows would fall in the enjoyable category for me. I've watched since the beginning.
Totally agree. Survivor is that rare "reality" show (actually, more like a social adventure game show) that actually has some substance and doesn't rely purely on shrill, catty, infantile squabbling among groups of superficial, self-absorbed imbeciles.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #43
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
The existence of reality proves to me that (a) almost everyone has a price they can be bought for, and (b) Many feel that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Another great reply. Verrrrry good.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just about everything on broadcast TV to me seems to me to be driven to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I find it all pretty much intolerable.

Mostly I stream shows. A lot from PBS. I’ve also found a bunch of interesting YouTube channels I really like…
Old 10-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Some of their prices seem to be very low. Was so appalled by the "600-pound life" show, I did a little research. In return for sharing the painful facts of their lives for a whole year, the participants are paid $1,500, plus doctor's fees of course. In addition, they get $2500 to move near the doctor's clinic (and, presumably, back again after their year is up).

Quote:
The existence of reality proves to me that (a) almost everyone has a price they can be bought for, and (b) Many feel that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
“Naked and Afraid”

This is absolutely the bottom of the barrel. And there are people employed to just blur out the particular naked bits that can’t be shown on tv.

Ya, I'm angry that I don't get to see the naked bits too!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well, for one, a clever, resourceful, ER'd friend of mine, who loves all the romance shows. She knows they're fake, and yet loves to criticize the participants.

I have 3 friends (a retired trust attorney, a retired physicist, and I forget the 3rd retiree's prior occupation) who religiously watch The Bachelor and The Bachelorette and send each other snarky texts about the goings-on.

Somehow I was added to their group text chat. As I hadn't seen The Bachelor since season 1 (when I was simply curious to see what it was all about), I had nothing to add and was soon dropped, blessedly.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:44 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Being snarky about fake TV people is a hobby for some people. That is the main reason such programs exist. I suspect few watch them for romantic reasons.

We don't all need to have the same hobbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I

Somehow I was added to their group text chat. As I hadn't seen The Bachelor since season 1 (when I was simply curious to see what it was all about), I had nothing to add and was soon dropped, blessedly.

omni
Old 10-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Too many channels, not enough talent in the business to create quality shows to fill all that airtime. So I think reality shows will continue to thrive. They are cheap to make (no writers, no sets, no high-priced pro actors, no extras, etc. needed) and no shortage of people wanting to be on TV for next to nothing.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
Too many channels, not enough talent in the business to create quality shows to fill all that airtime. So I think reality shows will continue to thrive. They are cheap to make (no writers, no sets, no high-priced pro actors, no extras, etc. needed) and no shortage of people wanting to be on TV for next to nothing.
If I remember, reality shows blossomed during a writer's strike years ago and never left.

I have Netflix only and there are lot of high-quality shows on there. I've been delighted to find some in French and followed one in German.

But- I have to admit that my guilty pleasure when staying in a hotel is to watch Say Yes to the Dress, My 600-lb. Life and various shows on HGTV. Maybe it's because I can look at those people and say that no matter what, I
know I'm not THAT shallow, overweight, clueless, etc.

And when my granddaughters get older I WILL have them watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" if DS and DDIL are OK with it. I want them to see what happens when a teenage girl with an unplanned pregnancy tries to get a job, continue her education and take care of the kid and thinks the Baby Daddy will stick around. So far I haven't seen a single episode where it worked.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:43 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Being snarky about fake TV people is a hobby for some people. That is the main reason such programs exist. I suspect few watch them for romantic reasons.

We don't all need to have the same hobbies.

True. When reality TV shows first came out, I admit I watched them... until I realized that my reason for watching them was in hope to see escalating conflicts. Not unlike going to a auto race primarily in hopes of seeing a spectacular crash. I decided that was not saying good things about myself, so I stopped.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some of their prices seem to be very low. Was so appalled by the "600-pound life" show, I did a little research. In return for sharing the painful facts of their lives for a whole year, the participants are paid $1,500, plus doctor's fees of course. In addition, they get $2500 to move near the doctor's clinic (and, presumably, back again after their year is up).

I agree... and even at that low price, the supply of folks willing to participate far outstrips the "need".
Old 10-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And when my granddaughters get older I WILL have them watch a few episodes of "Teen Mom" if DS and DDIL are OK with it. I want them to see what happens when a teenage girl with an unplanned pregnancy tries to get a job, continue her education and take care of the kid and thinks the Baby Daddy will stick around. So far I haven't seen a single episode where it worked.

Just be sure that they do not get the message "but they're on TV and famous!"
Old 10-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post

You forgot one thing. No brains involved in these shows.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #55
gone traveling

The shows from the 1950s 1960s were much better and made more sense. The game shows were great.

Even the talk shows were better.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I watched the fat-people show once all the way through, and once partway. I felt so sorry for those poor souls, imprisoned in their bodies, struggling to go downstairs or climb into a vehicle. Couldn't go on watching.

The home-flip shows are always on at the dentist's office (even in the chair!). There are some interesting bits, but I get too jealous, because why can't I find a designer who will do all that stuff for $25,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

But- I have to admit that my guilty pleasure when staying in a hotel is to watch Say Yes to the Dress, My 600-lb. Life and various shows on HGTV. Maybe it's because I can look at those people and say that no matter what, I
know I'm not THAT shallow, overweight, clueless, etc.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
I watched the fat-people show once all the way through, and once partway. I felt so sorry for those poor souls, imprisoned in their bodies, struggling to go downstairs or climb into a vehicle. Couldn't go on watching.

The home-flip shows are always on at the dentist's office (even in the chair!). There are some interesting bits, but I get too jealous, because why can't I find a designer who will do all that stuff for $25,000?

25,000 not many peeps have that much money. I never had more than round 18,000. Then I used that to pay a vehicle loan off. Since then I haven’t had more than 2400.00

So those few that have that much wealth are lucky.

So I agree with your comment well.. the second half.

I do t know any of the shows that you wrote about in the first half.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

Medical Police on Netflix is without a doubt the dumbest show that I've ever watched for a full season. I've seen it described as an absurdist comedy. But very often it's not absurd, it's just dumb. Also hilarious. I highly recommend it. (Check out the on youtube).
Hubcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
True. When reality TV shows first came out, I admit I watched them... until I realized that my reason for watching them was in hope to see escalating conflicts. Not unlike going to a auto race primarily in hopes of seeing a spectacular crash. I decided that was not saying good things about myself, so I stopped.

All you have to do is look at these no brain talk shows. This Doctor OZ not is doing a show about old crime stories. What does that have to do with medical things.

Then this other Doctor Phil. He is out telling peeps things about their living arrangements or their lives.

Soon those shows will be as bad as shows like Phil Donahue and Jerry Springer.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #60

My vote has to go to Mork and Mindy. I can never go past 5 minutes without giving up on it. I only tried it because of poor choices at the time. I have since learned to just not watch it even if there isn't anything else on.

Current show that I despise? Naked and afraid would be a good choice. I can't stand that either.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote