Join Early Retirement Today

Multi-player family game system
Old 01-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Multi-player family game system

When we were younger parents, my wife and I loved to play video games with our kids. We had some hand held controllers that plugged into our big tower of a PC and we would compete in racing games, etc. One of our favorites was a deluxe version of Frogger by Hasbro (I think). I remember hours of laughter as our kids tricked us into 'hopping' in front of cars, or sat on us until we couldn't avoid getting squashed by a semi, or submerged on the back of a swimming hippo. Sounds violent, but it was just silly animation.

Anyway, all these happy memories now make me wish for something similar to play with my young grand kids. Anyone have any experience using the gaming systems of today for this kind of 4-player family gaming? If so, I'd appreciate your recommendations.
whitet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few years back, I purchased one of the original Nintendo Wii units (after it was already out a couple years) - it is really wonderful. Our kid is out of the house now, but younger nieces and nephews love it when they visit.

The nice thing with the Wii - it is a family entertainment unit more than the PlayStation or Xbox are. Though I'm sure both PlayStation and Xbox do have some similar titles for the family, they are targeted more towards the hardcore gamers.

Nintendo has newer devices out since the Wii, but I think you should check into their lineup. They've stayed pretty true to the lower-end family entertainment that I think you're looking for.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Nintendo has newer devices out since the Wii, but I think you should check into their lineup. They've stayed pretty true to the lower-end family entertainment that I think you're looking for.
Thank you. I haven't used a Wii much, and not for many years now, but I do remember being underwhelmed by the 'action' games like tennis, bowling, golf, boxing, etc... Of course this may be directly related to how terrible I was at them. To me the difference between a winning move and a losing move always seemed very arbitrary and unrelated to the real activity that was being simulated. And I always assumed these hand action games were all that the Wii could do, but maybe I am wrong about that. I will look into Wii to see if there are more traditional, console style games available.
whitet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have the Nintendo Wii and just bought the Nintendo Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Christmas. On the Nintendo website, you can view trailers for many of the games.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought one this Christmas - an Xbox S all-digital for $149 on sale.

The Playstation and Xbox both have versions with Blue-Ray players as well as other entertainment options - like Playstation's cable service. I believe Playstation and Xbox can also use the Oculus Rift VR goggles for totally immersive games. The graphics on these systems is amazing!

You can also buy a digital only version of the Xbox and buy games online - or better yet, subscribe to one of their online services that allows you to play any game on the service. EA has their own service too. (they're like Netflix for games) Highly recommended!

They are both developing the next generation of consoles for release next Christmas.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You might enjoy the Nintendo Switch, which functions as either a portable unit, or a TV gaming console when docked. Nintendo makes a lot of family oriented multi-player games.

My suggestion is to figure out what multiplayer games you want first, and then buy the console that is used to play those games.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote