Music Trivia

The Yarbirds

This group was fluid, shall we say, in their lineup during the 60's.

Your challenges:
1. Name the three highly regarded guitarists who passed through the group
2. Two of them founded bands, one more successful than the other. Name both bands.
3. Members of the less successful band in question #2 were later were part of a group that was more famous. What's the name of that band?
4. Some individuals in the band referenced in Q#3 ultimately achieved substantial renown after leaving that group. Who were they?

Your challenges:
2. Two of them founded bands, one more successful than the other. Name both bands.
3. Members of the less successful band in question #2 were later were part of a group that was more famous. What's the name of that band?
4. Some individuals in the band referenced in Q#3 ultimately achieved substantial renown after leaving that group. Who were they?
Without googling, I'm sure that's John Mayall's Blues Breakers, wait, or was it the Yardbirds?

Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck

Cream, Led Zeppelin, and it was the Jeff Beck Group, so that's a 'band' too.

Jimmy Page was in a band between #1 and Zep, but can't recall the name of the band.

-ERD50

Without googling, I'm sure that's John Mayall's Blues Breakers, wait, or was it the Yardbirds?

Jimmy Page was in a band between #1 and Zep, but can't recall the name of the band.

-ERD50
Yardbirds

Paul Stanley of Kiss, millionaire several times over. One in music, the other in ? (Does not include his performance as the phantom in Toronto production of Phantom of the Opera) He also had a deformity as a child into adulthood that created bullying and ridicule he had to overcome. He credits this to his drive to succeed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

Your challenges:

-ERD50

Yardbirds

Yes, it was the Yardbirds. I put it in the title instead of the body of the post :facepalm:

Correct on the 3 - Clapton, Beck and Page, in order.

On Q#2, Clapton rolled through at least 3 other bands before going solo. Cream was the first, so that is also correct. It was Led Zeppelin and The Jeff Beck Group I was thinking of, with the latter being the less-well-known.

More info to help answer Q3 & 4 - One of them is a vocalist with a long and successful career and the other is a guitar player. Both are still active.

Regarding Jimmy Page between the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, I believe it was The New Yardbirds, which morphed in to LZ.

Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
WAG

Sir Paul
Don Henley
Michael Jackson

Man, that was such a tough question I had to look it up.

Was surprised to see it was an Englishman who's solo music almost makes me turn away, but I like what he did with a group. I have none of his solo work in my iTunes library, but play songs from the group often.
Anyone have the 3rd artist before I reveal? No fair googling, I thought it against the odds that no one would get this.

Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

Your challenges:

More info to help answer Q3 & 4 - One of them is a vocalist with a long and successful career and the other is a guitar player. Both are still active.
Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood

After the Beatles' breakup each of the Fab Four continued as individual performers. Each had one or more #1 hits in the US. Which former Beatle was the first to chart a single at #1 in the US?
And which Beatle was 4th to do so?

Extra credit if you can name the songs. We all know them.

After the Beatles' breakup each of the Fab Four continued as individual performers. Each had one or more #1 hits in the US. Which former Beatle was the first to chart a single at #1 in the US?
And which Beatle was 4th to do so?

Extra credit if you can name the songs. We all know them.
Love the challenge but I"m getting a headache. I want easy answers but I'll guess anyway.

Single #1 Paul McCartney, then again John made "Imagine" which Yoko wrote (very few people know this).

4th Ringo Starr, no maybe George.

Yes, it was the Yardbirds. I put it in the title instead of the body of the post :facepalm:

Correct on the 3 - Clapton, Beck and Page, in order.

On Q#2, Clapton rolled through at least 3 other bands before going solo. Cream was the first, so that is also correct. It was Led Zeppelin and The Jeff Beck Group I was thinking of, with the latter being the less-well-known.

Regarding Jimmy Page between the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, I believe it was The New Yardbirds, which morphed in to LZ.

(the bold part), that's funny, my eyes skipped right over the bold title, I did not see "The Yardbirds"!. Which is why I initially was thinking Mayall's group.

So with the hint on Q 3 & 4, and no googling, and before seeing Rianne's rely, I knew the 'vocalist' hint gave us Rod Stewart. Pretty sure I knew Ronnie Wood, but my eye may have caught that on Rianne's post before the synapses fired.

As a side note to this, Jeff Beck has just got better and better over the years. They are all great guitarists, but Jeff Beck just has an amazing sense of musicality, and such a wide range of techniques and styles. He's just on another level.

OK, that last part's not trivia, but I couldn't help myself. :) Check out the youtube video "British guitarist reacts to Jeff Beck" for an in depth look.

-ERD50

Love the challenge but I"m getting a headache. I want easy answers but I'll guess anyway.

Single #1 Paul McCartney, then again John made "Imagine" which Yoko wrote (very few people know this).

4th Ringo Starr, no maybe George.
McCartney was not first, Ringo was not 4th. Those are probably the standard guesses, understandably.

McCartney was not first, Ringo was not 4th. Those are probably the standard guesses, understandably.
Ok, but did you see my comment "Yoko wrote Imagine??" John admitted this fact on the Netflix documentary "Above Us Only Sky" from actual footage. Yoko later in the documentary believes this was the purpose of their relationship. Meaning all leads up to the writing of this song and the impact it's had on the world.

Ok, but did you see my comment "Yoko wrote Imagine??" John admitted this fact on the Netflix documentary "Above Us Only Sky" from actual footage. Yoko later in the documentary believes this was the purpose of their relationship. Meaning all leads up to the writing of this song and the impact it's had on the world.
I need to see that documentary. Imagine peaked at #3.

Originally Posted by FlaGator

Your challenges:

Yes! They went from Jeff Beck Group to The Faces, then on to legends.....

Yardbirds? Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck?

(the bold part), that's funny, my eyes skipped right over the bold title, I did not see "The Yardbirds"!. Which is why I initially was thinking Mayall's group.

So with the hint on Q 3 & 4, and no googling, and before seeing Rianne's rely, I knew the 'vocalist' hint gave us Rod Stewart. Pretty sure I knew Ronnie Wood, but my eye may have caught that on Rianne's post before the synapses fired.

As a side note to this, Jeff Beck has just got better and better over the years. They are all great guitarists, but Jeff Beck just has an amazing sense of musicality, and such a wide range of techniques and styles. He's just on another level.

OK, that last part's not trivia, but I couldn't help myself. :) Check out the youtube video "British guitarist reacts to Jeff Beck" for an in depth look.

-ERD50

Agree on Jeff Beck. Saw that he is playing the Crossroads Guitar Festival this year (September 20-21 in Dallas)

'Hey Jude' Offspring Quiz

The Beatles' "Hey Jude" was released in August 1968. It was a monster world-wide hit. Its 7:11 length as a single release was a rarity, as was its 4 minute-long coda ("nah nah nah...").

That lengthy coda seems to have inspired at least four other hit songs that were recorded soon after "Hey Jude" was released. Can you name those four songs that I have in mind (that were recorded/released in late 1968/1969)? All four songs are at least ~4:30 long (the LP version of one is ~7:28) with its coda lasting at least some two minutes (although one is actually a second song tacked on and not the same song).

BTW: This quiz was inspired by that new movie called Yesterday that I saw a few days ago. As a Beatles' fan I enjoyed it.

"I Want You"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer/Mean Mr. Mustard" are mixed
"While my Guitar Gently Weeps"
"Revolution 9"
I also saw "Yesterday" very moving scene when John appeared having never been a Beatle

"I Want You"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer/Mean Mr. Mustard" are mixed
"While my Guitar Gently Weeps"
"Revolution 9"
I also saw "Yesterday" very moving scene when John appeared having never been a Beatle
The four songs of late 1968/1969 I'm thinking of were not done by The Beatles. Two were performed by solo acts and two by acts consisting of five members.

Yep, those are three:
- Beach Boys (Brian, Dennis, Carl)
- Heart (Ann, Nancy)
- Wilson Phillips (Carnie, Wendy - Brian's daughters)

These are the pop/rock entries... Hint: the other two are from other music genres.

The last two:

- Mandrill (Carlos, Lou, Ric, Wilfredo - had a Billboard top 50 hit in the 70s - with "Fencewalk" and many R&B hits)
- The Gap Band (Robert, Charles, Ronnie - Billboard top 25 hit with "Early in the Morning" in the early 80s, and many R&B/Funk hits)

Figure out this music trivia riddle. Looking for 2 musicians. The name of a big hit for each of them is in the 2nd, 3rd , 4th, and 5th sentences. Name the musicians AND the songs:

===============================================================

Early in their careers they were in a band together. But as solo artists they ended up with super hits in totally different musical styles. This included songs about a girl. Quite a freak occurrence for it to happen that way. Like cinnamon, the musical variety of these two was certainly a spice of life.

Figure out this music trivia riddle. Looking for 2 musicians. The name of a big hit for each of them is in the 2nd, 3rd , 4th, and 5th sentences. Name the musicians AND the songs:

===============================================================

Early in their careers they were in a band together. But as solo artists they ended up with super hits in totally different musical styles. This included songs about a girl. Quite a freak occurrence for it to happen that way. Like cinnamon, the musical variety of these two was certainly a spice of life.
Rick James with Super Freak and Neil Young with Cinnamon Girl. They were in The Mynahs.

Back
Top Bottom