Music Trivia

Speaking of guitar layers . I will give several clues to this one ." Eric Clapton once said if you never heard of this man don't talk to me. " This guitar player riffs are heard in lots of old R&R songs from Elvis , Zep , and everyone out there that plays guitar . There are only two photographs of this player , No Vids . This will break the Ice, He is where the curse of 27 came from that is still followed today . It is said any musician who seeks fame can go to the Cross Roads but pay the penalty of dying at 27 . Many songs written about going to the Crossroads . Who is this man?
AHHH, I just saw a documentary about him. I'm getting ready to go out of town and this will drive me nuts. I can't remember his name but he influenced everybody. The doc is on Netflix.

Speaking of guitar layers . I will give several clues to this one ." Eric Clapton once said if you never heard of this man don't talk to me. " This guitar player riffs are heard in lots of old R&R songs from Elvis , Zep , and everyone out there that plays guitar . There are only two photographs of this player , No Vids . This will break the Ice, He is where the curse of 27 came from that is still followed today . It is said any musician who seeks fame can go to the Cross Roads but pay the penalty of dying at 27 . Many songs written about going to the Crossroads . Who is this man?

I just got here - nice thread.

Too many clues on this one. Robert Johnson. I have seen a questionable video that some say is of him but I doubt it.

So, name the 80's movie where they try to find his "missing" song. Bonus, name the guitar player in the movie who works for the devil.

I just got here - nice thread.

Too many clues on this one. Robert Johnson. I have seen a questionable video that some say is of him but I doubt it.

So, name the 80's movie where they try to find his "missing" song. Bonus, name the guitar player in the movie who works for the devil.

I remember reading that Clapton went through a phase where, if you didn't know who Robert Johnson was, he didn't want to talk to you.

I think I saw the same video you did... about 10 seconds, silent, black and white... it sounds like "experts" claim it's not him.

The movie was "Crossroads" with (The Karate Kid) Ralph Macchio. Scratch's guitar player was Jack Butler (Steve Vai).

Final song, #4, with its long coda (a repeat and repeat of the song's ending musical phrases) was recorded in November 1968--when The Beatles" "Hey Jude" was a hit, and may have been inspired by it with its long ending.

It's a song on an LP with an album cover that included images of a cake, rubber tire, etc.

Last edited:
Final song, #4, with its long coda (a repeat and repeat of the song's ending musical phrases) was recorded in November 1968--when The Beatles" "Hey Jude" was a hit, and may have been inspired by it with its long ending.

It's a song on an LP with an album cover that included images of a cake, rubber tire, etc.

"I saw her today at the reception....."

Another 80's movie / music trivia question for you.

What 80's movie did Kevin Costner appear in BUT it did not show his face or use his voice. It highlighted the Stones song above early in the film but did not include it in the first released soundtrack (for legal reasons?). The song started by being played on a church organ and then switched to using the Stones. The movie opened with a kid in a bathtub singing a 70's song by a group who got their name from a very cold night in the snow. I believe all the music in the film is from the 60's and very early 70's.

The movie was filmed almost entirely in a house an hour south of where I live and I have driven by it many times.

Ok kids , here is one for everyone in 1979 , yes 40 years ago . A tragedy happened in San Diego and a song was written about it . The song never made it to the top 40 in the U.S. but was on the British # 1 for 4 weeks . The state of California petitioned that the song not be played in the U.S. The lead singer that performed the song went on to become a Knight in England .

Donovan taught him.
Speaking of Donovan, let's talk Sunshine Superman, a song from my childhood which I thought was the coolest thing I ever heard.

Name two members of a huge supergroup that formed shortly after Sunshine Superman that played on that record.

Speaking of Donovan, let's talk Sunshine Superman, a song from my childhood which I thought was the coolest thing I ever heard.

Name two members of a huge supergroup that formed shortly after Sunshine Superman that played on that record.

Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones - Led Zep

Another 80's movie / music trivia question for you.

What 80's movie did Kevin Costner appear in BUT it did not show his face or use his voice. It highlighted the Stones song above early in the film but did not include it in the first released soundtrack (for legal reasons?). The song started by being played on a church organ and then switched to using the Stones. The movie opened with a kid in a bathtub singing a 70's song by a group who got their name from a very cold night in the snow. I believe all the music in the film is from the 60's and very early 70's.

The movie was filmed almost entirely in a house an hour south of where I live and I have driven by it many times.
The Big Chill

Ok kids , here is one for everyone in 1979 , yes 40 years ago . A tragedy happened in San Diego and a song was written about it . The song never made it to the top 40 in the U.S. but was on the British # 1 for 4 weeks . The state of California petitioned that the song not be played in the U.S. The lead singer that performed the song went on to become a Knight in England .
Boomtown Rats, I dont like Mondays?

Speaking of Credence, the actual words are "there's a bad moon on the rise" and NOT "there's a bathroom on the right" (as many of us thought and sang for a long time...) :)

Speaking of Credence, the actual words are "there's a bad moon on the rise" and NOT "there's a bathroom on the right" (as many of us thought and sang for a long time...) :)

I know this site has appeared before and see it’s still active. A collection of misheard lyrics:

http://kissthisguy.com

[ADDED] It’s been a while since I checked it out. Now has some “questionable” photos embedded so visit at your discretion...

Last edited:
There are two more songs with some popularity that people may not know that they were originally French songs.

Boomtown Rats, I dont like Mondays?

Montecfo didn't answer but yes, that is it. Another song about a tragedy, name the song written about a public suicide by an elected official accused of bribery in the late 80's. For those who have seen the video of the incident, the guy pulls a gun out of a paper bag and shoots himself in front of reporters.

I seem to remember the widow won a lawsuit against the group who recorded it but I could be wrong.

There are two more songs with some popularity that people may not know that they were originally French songs.

Hey, that's exactly what I posted in Post #8, very early in the thread.

"My Way", and "Seasons in the Sun"

I mentioned "My Way", written by Claude Francois, on Post #3. On Post #8, I named "If You Go Away", and "Seasons in the Sun".

Both original songs "Ne Me Quitte Pas" (Do Not Leave Me, 1959), and "Le Moribond" (The Dying, 1961) were written and recorded by Jacques Brel, a beloved Belgian artist. He died young at 49 of a lung illness.

The English lyrics of "If You Go Away" was written by the late Rod McKuen. I did not know about McKuen, but found out that he was called "the unofficial poet-laureate" of America.

Yet, the English lyrics of "If You Go Away" has been called a disappointing translation of the French lyrics, which is a lot bleaker and groveling. But I think McKuen softened it, in order to appeal to the more general taste.

Brel has said that it "was not a love song, but rather "a hymn to the cowardice of men", and the degree to which they were willing to humiliate themselves".

PS. Wikipedia says that "Ne Me Quitte Pas" has been translated to at least 24 languages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom