Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I have been collecting various backgrounds, screens, what-have-you and have those rotating on the Windows desktop in my office. Most of these I've resized to 1200x900 so they center on the larger desktop with empty space all around.

NASA picture of the day https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html is a good source.

I use a standard dark theme on each OS.
Thanks for the link.

May just be me as I know dark themes seem popular, but I tend to like the brighter themes. Easier for my eyes. Like I said, maybe just me.

As for my initial impressions of Mint vs MX, what I like about Mint are I think the software manager repository is beautiful and the forum is easier for beginners. MX may be a bit more stable and faster and like all the MX tools. The MX forum not that easy for beginners.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Just before Christmas, I bought a new laptop with the plan to replace the current laptop (Lenovo G710) that I use as a 'desktop' (purchased that in April2014, running Xubuntu on it, went from 14.04 to 18.04), and use the G710 as my 'second' computer (the screen died on my older 'second computer' - the fix is pretty involved, not worth the time/effort).

The new one is a ASUS Zenbook Flip 15 Q528EH, $899 plus tax, Best Buy (normal ~$1,100). This looks to be a Best Buy specific model? Manual from ASUS is "0409-E17801_UX564EH_E1_V2_A.pdf".

I've taken my time, testing Windows before I wiped the drive to install Xubuntu 20.04. And taking time to get that set up and tested. Was confident enough to move it over and replace my G710 on my desk a few days ago, getting my data copied over, and email transferred (carefully copying the various config folders from old to new, for email, LibreOffice, FireFox, etc) - that was pretty painless. Just a few tweaks that I missed, not bad.

But I was reminded of one thing that really bugs me about Linux. They are sometimes really flaky about naming applications. I had a disk tool on my G710 that was not installed by default with 20.04. SO I added it, and in the repository, it is named "gnome-disk-utility". OK, installed with a click.

But the crazy thing is to make a launcher, the program is “gnome-disks” (PLURAL!), but this isn’t anywhere in the app or docs. The app ‘about’ says “Disks” and it lists under that “gnome-disk-utility”, and the link has no ref to calling it from command line – I only found it in a search, very convoluted. The name should be how you call it, or at least list it for ref (and in 12.04 and earlier, it was “palimpsest“!!!). So just to add a launcher to my App Menu, I had to goggle to find the actual name of this thing. That threw me a bit, but when I was first learning to use Linux, it was really a mess - I couldn't figure out what was what, and I was already confused by some things. Why not a consistent name (or at least a reference to the program name if different from the display name)?

There are others like this "Files" displayed for a file manager under a different program name, text-editor "gedit", System Monitor is "gnome-system-monitor", etc.

Other than that little rant, things are going nicely. No problem getting the extended monitor set up (an HP 24") I've got a USB-C hub, so one plug to disconnect my ext HDMI monitor, keyboard/mouse hub, and a few slots open. Minor negative, but this ASUS doesn't charge through USB-C, so that's a second cable if I want to take it portable away from the desk (Oh, 1st world problems! ). I think I'll look for a cheap USB audio DAC, then I can run audio to the external speakers through USB rather than another cable in the microphone/headset plug, but again, minor.

And yes, the 500GB SSD is fast (my first SSD). With 16GB I have not hit swap yet, I'm curious how that goes. I run a *lot* of windows/tabs in FF, and when I'm researching something, can open/close dozens and dozens, and since I rarely reboot, the memory would get fragmented (I think some closed windows would still leave something behind, or maybe an unusable gap?), and I'd fill up the 12GB and hit HDD swap, which made it unusable - but quitting and restarting FF would reclaim the memory, I'd do swap-off/on, and be back OK. Just have not got close to filling up 16GB.... yet. So we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
... I have encountered a bug/quirk with Mint in that when removing some launchers on the taskbar the whole panel disappears (not the case with MX ). Isn't a show stopper though easy to bring back with a command line. ... .
The XFCE panel provides a GUI for config, and lets you back-up and restore panel settings, which is nice. Though probably not much different from doing that manually from command line.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
May just be me as I know dark themes seem popular, but I tend to like the brighter themes. Easier for my eyes. Like I said, maybe just me. ...
Dark themes show all the dust on the monitor. I hate that!

Easier on the eyes? Maybe, I haven't thought about it. Ahh, I just tried from my medium-dark background to a lighter one - far less glare!

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

My desktop is old hardware.

Only USB-A ports, USB 2.0. If I had USB-C, the desire to swap through a swap bay would've been less a need. The old USB connection is a 50-50 success each time whether to have to flip around and try again .

I settled on my desktop background (at least for the time being). Not too dark nor too light but a balance to offer contrast with icons.

Got the background from a placed called pexels. A good selection there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2022-01-21_13-50-40.jpg (246.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

I am also on old hardware and have paused at 18.3. It serves me well.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am also on old hardware and have paused at 18.3. It serves me well.
Yeah, I won't bother upgrading my old system from 18.x, it's fine. But since I was installing new on this new laptop, I went with the latest 20.04, to get longer support.

-ERD50
Old 01-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #187
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the reasons I moved away from Ubuntu and Debian derivatives like Mint is the update cadence of every six months. Doing a distro update is a pain. Debian is stable but the packages are old. PPAs suck. The last straw was Ubuntu going to snaps, plus Ubuntu's quality control has gone down over the years.

I like the Arch packaging system. Always up to date, rolling release so it has no six month update, every day updates come in. Arch itself I am no fan of, they created it to be unfriendly on purpose. The community is condescending and unhelpful. They will send out an update that breaks systems and seldom will they admit they did anything wrong. Up until recently they had no installer so you had to laboriously go through manual steps by typing terminal commands using the Arch guide book. That is so you can learn "the Arch way", no ones got time for that kind of nonsense.

Manjaro is Arch with the problems fixed, installer, better community, more stable, packages are held back just a bit to catch bugs.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:26 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

A few days ago our webcam stopped working on Windows 10 desktop. Something is wrong at the hi-speed USB ports on the rear of system. All looks good in device manager. Logitech camera is good, but had to remove/reinstall software and use an open USB port on the front. I know there's a definitive answer for why that happened, but we'll just go on without those ports.

I had to zoom to do a PCR test, so the pressure was on. I went to old boat anchor and booted that. Got distracted and went to my office. Wife said, "Do you wanna use my Fire?" Lol.

I used my Chrome tablet (Lenoveo Duet) and it worked fine. Forgot how handy that is...

Yesterday I saw chatter about this in ChromeOS on reddit:
Asus 15.6" FHD Chromebook Laptop Intel Processor 4GB RAM 32GB Flash Storage - Silver - Model C523NA-TH42F

Of course I don't need it, but I'd have a spare!
Old 01-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
One of the reasons I moved away from Ubuntu and Debian derivatives like Mint is the update cadence of every six months. Doing a distro update is a pain. Debian is stable but the packages are old. PPAs suck. The last straw was Ubuntu going to snaps, plus Ubuntu's quality control has gone down over the years.

I like the Arch packaging system. Always up to date, rolling release so it has no six month update, every day updates come in. Arch itself I am no fan of, they created it to be unfriendly on purpose. The community is condescending and unhelpful. They will send out an update that breaks systems and seldom will they admit they did anything wrong. Up until recently they had no installer so you had to laboriously go through manual steps by typing terminal commands using the Arch guide book. That is so you can learn "the Arch way", no ones got time for that kind of nonsense.

Manjaro is Arch with the problems fixed, installer, better community, more stable, packages are held back just a bit to catch bugs.
I haven't really done much comparison, have stuck with Xubuntu (Ubuntu/Xfce) for years now.

I'm not sure what you mean by distro updates every 6 months being a pain? I just let the auto-updater do it's thing. It asks first, I may delay if I'm busy with something, especially if I suspect it will want me to reboot (but I can also delay rebooting).

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

-ERD50
Old 01-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I haven't really done much comparison, have stuck with Xubuntu (Ubuntu/Xfce) for years now.

I'm not sure what you mean by distro updates every 6 months being a pain? I just let the auto-updater do it's thing. It asks first, I may delay if I'm busy with something, especially if I suspect it will want me to reboot (but I can also delay rebooting).

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

-ERD50
I ran into a problem, where the boot partition ran out of room and borked the machine, this was Ubuntu. So then I did clean installs on every six month update. I like clean installs anyway.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I ran into a problem, where the boot partition ran out of room and borked the machine, this was Ubuntu. So then I did clean installs on every six month update. I like clean installs anyway.
I make an image of the hard drive every six months in case something goes south I have something to restore to.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #192

Quote:
I make an image of the hard drive every six months in case something goes south I have something to restore to.
I have good backups, just a pain to get a clean install totally back to how I like things.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have good backups, just a pain to get a clean install totally back to how I like things.
Once I set things up the way I want initially, I make an image and call that a pristine system. This way, if things go south, I can restore back to the pristine system instead of having to reconfigure everything.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #194

I have pristine bit for bit copies, but when you are doing a clean install to a 6 month release the only thing brought over is the user data. I do not want to bring over old config settings as that can mess things up.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have pristine bit for bit copies, but when you are doing a clean install to a 6 month release the only thing brought over is the user data. I do not want to bring over old config settings as that can mess things up.

I see what you mean. I was thinking more of in general than a 6 month release.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:02 PM   #196

I have been trying out QEMU/KVM for virtual machines. Usually I use Virtualbox. QEMU has much faster performance, it also allows you to pass through hardware. Say you have a printer that will not work in Linux (rare). Open a Win10/11 VM and use a Windows driver for the print. Also QEMU allows cross architecture CPU emulation. Say you have an ARM OS and want to run it on an Intel processor, it can emulate the different processor. I have been trying out Win 10 IoT LTSC 2021, this is how Windows should have been made, no extras, just stripped down goodness.
Cool
Old 03-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Cool

Last week I was using Zoom on the Lenovo Duet 2 tablet. Simple chrombookE It handles that very well. One problem is the small screen, though. It is just 10.1", and that works well for just about everywhere in my house, except for the office.

I was in a genealogy workshop and needed to keep my desktop free. So it was Zoom on the tablet, and many browser windows open on the desktop. The presentation on the tablet was too small, and hard to read slides, etc.

Yesterday I started thinking about the 27" monitor still on my desk, mostly unused since I retired. I was using it with Linux, but moved that boot anchor to the basement.

Late in the afternoon I ordered:
Anker USB C Hub, 341 USB-C Hub (7-in-1), with 4K HDMI, 100W Power Delivery, USB-C and 2 USB-A 5Gbps Data Ports, microSD and SD Card Reader

and a 100W power adapter. They were delivered by 8AM this morning, and set up with no problems. The extended monitor is a bit fuzzy at 1280 x 700 (tablet is limited to that), but mucn more legible of course.

Not bad for $67. Extra bonus is I got to watch the wedding video on a decent screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard011.jpg (53.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Spent the past few evenings installing and setting up Mint. Pretty much transferred over what I was using on my MX laptop to Mint.

One thing, but not the least important is still need to find a good desktop background . Looks like I'll be making the jump.

I have encountered a bug/quirk with Mint in that when removing some launchers on the taskbar the whole panel disappears (not the case with MX ). Isn't a show stopper though easy to bring back with a command line.

I used the same icon theme for both MX and Mint. One less thing my mind has to think about.
Quoting myself with an update about that bug/quirk in Mint where the panel disappears after removing some (kinda of random) launchers on the panel. Happened to me again the other day.

Opening the terminal and entering a command line brings the panel back. But this could get old, plus I'm lazy and don't want to remember command lines.

So ... did some poking around and was able to find/create a script and set to function keys. Now when the need arrives again in the future to recover from a disappearing panel, I just press the "Ctrl+F6" key and TA DA ... panel returns .
Old 04-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

I just auditioned Zorin 16.1 Core from a bootable USB drive. It might be the most beautiful UI I've used. And easier to use than other Linux flavors I've tried. I would never miss Windows with this. Anyone else use this distro? Does it run as great as it looks?
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #200

Quote:
Last week I was using Zoom on the Lenovo Duet 2 tablet. Simple chrombookE It handles that very well. One problem is the small screen, though. It is just 10.1", and that works well for just about everywhere in my house, except for the office.

I was in a genealogy workshop and needed to keep my desktop free. So it was Zoom on the tablet, and many browser windows open on the desktop. The presentation on the tablet was too small, and hard to read slides, etc.

Yesterday I started thinking about the 27" monitor still on my desk, mostly unused since I retired. I was using it with Linux, but moved that boot anchor to the basement.

Late in the afternoon I ordered:
Anker USB C Hub, 341 USB-C Hub (7-in-1), with 4K HDMI, 100W Power Delivery, USB-C and 2 USB-A 5Gbps Data Ports, microSD and SD Card Reader

and a 100W power adapter. They were delivered by 8AM this morning, and set up with no problems. The extended monitor is a bit fuzzy at 1280 x 700 (tablet is limited to that), but mucn more legible of course.

Not bad for $67. Extra bonus is I got to watch the wedding video on a decent screen.
thanks Target. I will try something like that with my Lenovo Chromebook.

On another note, a friend wants me to build him a linux browsing machine. I have plenty of boat anchor hardware here to choose from. This should be fun.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote