Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Months ago:
I upgraded to a 1000 GB drive from my smaller drive, via clonezilla.
It was a many hour effort as of course the partitions were wrong.
I finally found the answer and got it working fine.
Of course I saved the steps for when I move to a bigger disk. ...
That's what I don't like about many of these cloning apps, they are too literal, and won't clone to a larger partition (or smaller if you were only using a portion of the partition - say that 10x fast!).

The app I used to use on Macs was "SuperDuper!", which would clone to a different size partition - that was nice.

Something that should make this simpler, and is a good idea anyhow, is to keep separate partitions for root and HOME (done during install, but I think you can re-do it w/o too much trouble). That way, you could do a clone of the (usually smaller) root partition, sized the same. And just use grsync or rsync for the data (won't care about partition sizes as long as there is room for the data).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 11:17 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ALUH- another linux user here
I supported many small businesses over the 90s and into the teens with headless servers for files and applications. I was fighting a one-man battle against the Microsoft server army LOL.
Pretty much everything I do is headless although I do have a desktop management system on my little home server. I was going to recycle old hardware but the power demands just chapped my hide, so I spent $100 to save 10
I have a super low profile case with 70 watt built-in power supply, and a little Intel quad core with 10 watts TDP. Currently it hosts some files for me and zoneminder, a security camera DVR application that I have installed for 20 years now. Biggest setup was 20 IP cameras and 10 old analog cameras through a card, on a 24/7 facility with 200,000+ motion events over 4 weeks. That thing is still going I think the last time I built it was 12 years ago.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Months ago:
I upgraded to a 1000 GB drive from my smaller drive, via clonezilla.
It was a many hour effort as of course the partitions were wrong.
I did this kind of thing a lot in my working days. Didn't use clonezilla a lot though.
I would put the new drive on the bus and then partition it the way I wanted.
Then at the command line use dump on the old drive partitions and pipe it to restore for each partition on the new drive.
Then build the boot blocks for the boot partition.

Then you could shutdown and remove the old drive and reboot.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #164

Clonezilla can expand the partitions to fill a drive. It also can shrink down if the data isn't too large.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Macrium Reflect
Clonezilla
Acronis
Ghost

How many ways to clone? Might find out later this year.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
A Distro For The Private and Paranoid
Old 12-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

A Distro For The Private and Paranoid

I'm still happy with MX Linux as my go to distro. No longer consider myself a distro hopper (at least for now ). But doesn't mean I don't notice when something interesting comes along.

The other night came across a distro described as built for security in mind and you don't have to be a linux geek to use. So, thought I'd read more and give it a try.

The distro is called Linux Kodachi. From what I see, I like. Don't plan to use as my daily driver (though can be if one really want's a private system), but nice to have available should I feel the need to poke around without feeling like someone's watching over my shoulder.

Seems friendly, can use via a liveDVD, usb and even loaded into memory and I believe "poof" gone when computer restarted.

Quote:
The operating system serves as a Live instance, so you don't even have to bother installing it. You create a bootable USB drive (with a tool like Unetbootin), insert your USB drive and boot up Kodachi. As soon as the OS boots it:
  • Changes your MAC Address
  • Establishes a TOR connection through a VPN
  • Routes all internet traffic through TOR plus VPN with DNS encryption
  • Regularly changes your MAC Address to avoid detection and tracking

All of the above happens automatically, so you don't have to do anything. You simply boot up and, once the connection is established, open a browser and start doing whatever it is you want or need to do.
https://www.techrepublic.com/index.p...o-learn-linux/
Old 12-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link. It looks interesting. I'll try it on USB boot when I get free time.

I've been almost 100% Windows for the past few months. I took a reel deep dive into genealogy, and I'm looking at very large HTML files from GEDMatch website. Many twists in this research, courtesy of the various site tools one can find.

After retrieving results (45538 matches (rows), with a dozen columns of data) on this site, there is no CSV export, unfortunately. So I save the HTML page, but every app I tried just gave up trying to open or imort it.

After a few days I decided to look at the HTML source to figure out a few things. The problem, which I solved with Notepad++, was that the 40 MB file had a table, with no LFs as you'd expect for structure. In this file line 636 was an incredibly large blob of HTML.

Since it was a table, I went to the end of the file, and searched backwards for "</td><td" and replaced all with </td>/n<td>. File size did not grow much, and the HTML file now loads in a few minutes. I needed this so that I could search a local file instead of logging in, running an analysis, waiting for far too long, etc.

If I need to process more saved files, I'll probably go visit my lonely linux box in the basement. I was reading about AWK, and how it can do this type of find/replace in an instant.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If I need to process more saved files, I'll probably go visit my lonely linux box in the basement. I was reading about AWK, and how it can do this type of find/replace in an instant.
I used UNIX at work quite a bit, with AWK being one of my favorite UNIX tools for one-time or quick processing of text data. I liked AWK so much that I have installed MAWK on my Windows PCs since WinXP.

In your instance, you would process the file with AWK commands and generate an output that can be re-rerouted to a second file. You might want to also look at sed (stream editor) for LINUX.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #169

If you are on Win 11 you can get Linux command line commands by typing wsl --install as Admin. It will install a base Ubuntu prompt.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Interesting problem, and solved now.

Windows programs seem to have a problem with large HTML file - over 40MB. This file started life as an HTML save from genealogy site. The large blob of data (over 40,000 rows and 12 columns) appears on a single line in the HTML.

Notepad++ can enter the necessary line feeds just in that blob. After a minute's processing, it is over 638,000 lines of HTML.

Office programs choke on that.

What to do? What to do?

Upload file to google drive. Import into sheet. Takes a minute or two. Download Excel format. Problem solved.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

I'm having wandering eyes again and thinking about distro hopping.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:00 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm having wandering eyes again and thinking about distro hopping.
What tempted you? MX seemed like a good Linux for you.

“The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.”
― Prussian General Karl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege, 1832
Old 01-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What tempted you? MX seemed like a good Linux for you.

“The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.”
― Prussian General Karl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege, 1832

Was happy with MX as MX jumped all the hurdles til yesterday.

Recently, I decided to as my main linux machine go desktop instead of laptop. With the desktop, I like to use hard drive swap bays. That is, to treat external drives like floppies, swapping in and out and to/fro a Win desktop also with swap bays.

From what I've discovered, MX currently doesn't handle the use of swap bays correctly. But Linux Mint does. With mint, I can just swap in/out and the system knows, whereas MX gets lost.

I know there are other ways of moving data like external USB. But still not as smooth as just swapping back and forth.

One time, Peppermint OS was the distro I favored til at that time, it really didn't handle flash drives properly, which led me to MX.

So far, I'm still only at the temptation stage. Not lusting over another distro, but thinking that may be better, at least for my desktop.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:14 PM   #174

Archlinux now has a new installer built into their ISO. I tried it out and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still Arch is not for newbies. I'm a Manjaro guy as my main driver. Manjaro is Arch based.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
From what I've discovered, MX currently doesn't handle the use of swap bays correctly. But Linux Mint does. With mint, I can just swap in/out and the system knows, whereas MX gets lost.

I know there are other ways of moving data like external USB. But still not as smooth as just swapping back and forth.
So your boot OS drive stays and you swap external for various reasons?

In the 2000's I was working on a desktop that had a boot drive for unclassified work. Then we encounter classified chapters and have to go to a locked file cabinet, fetch our red drive. Shut down, place red in the swap bay, and start up. So the swap was a complete OS. So that is the extent of my experience with swap bays.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So your boot OS drive stays and you swap external for various reasons?

In the 2000's I was working on a desktop that had a boot drive for unclassified work. Then we encounter classified chapters and have to go to a locked file cabinet, fetch our red drive. Shut down, place red in the swap bay, and start up. So the swap was a complete OS. So that is the extent of my experience with swap bays.
Not sure if I understand you question. I'm not swapping the boot OS, just hot swapping data from a HDD. On the MX, there doesn't look like a scan of the mount status each time a drive that's hot swapped gets swapped in or out. Mint on the otherhand, seems to scan each time.

What I may eventually do is try Mint for about a month to see how much I like that distro then decide who much I really miss MX. I'm not going to make a knee jerk distro hop and end up cutting my nose off to spite my face .

There's only a few programs I use regular on MX since my main PC is Windoze.

I may end up having Mint for this desktop for the hot swapping and keep MX on my laptops. But then, that another distro to get familiar with.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:19 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

easysurfer,
I was trying to make sure I understood you. It could have been possible you had different boot OS's set up, and swapped those some times. But I see it's just about the data, and you hot swap there.

In a drive bay like you have, the standard setup when you change drives seems to differ with MX. I was skimming a little, and could see users mentioning auto-remount difficulty. So I think what is going on is that Mint sees the drive as removable, and then behaves as you'd expect. MX is doing something different in that regard (my big guess) and you have to issue commands to get the behaviour you set.

There are various flags to control all of that. Some is in the drive setup, but the OS adds additional. So there's a bit to digest about how all that gets done with your unique setup.

And now that I've wandered this far, there's the need to set a drive letter. Whatever OS you use has some normal assignment there, and maybe that it a point of confusion for the OS as you swap drives. Some apps may have that drive info cached, and when you swap, they don't want to see a different device. Just thinking out loud...

I know that's a lot of free thought, and may or may not be relevant to you.

I just use a USB 3 enclosure now. The transfer speed is decent but nowhere near what you'd like in a lot of advanced situations.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:50 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Target2019,

I'm going to give Mint a try for about a month and see how much I like as my desktop (with hot swapable drives). If by that time, I'm not happy, looks like will just stick with MX and USB data transfer.

I think you're right in that Mint seems to just see the drives as removable. No need to do anything special to mount/unmount during the swapping. I can just remove and plug back in and Mint knows how to handle.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Spent the past few evenings installing and setting up Mint. Pretty much transferred over what I was using on my MX laptop to Mint.

One thing, but not the least important is still need to find a good desktop background . Looks like I'll be making the jump.

I have encountered a bug/quirk with Mint in that when removing some launchers on the taskbar the whole panel disappears (not the case with MX ). Isn't a show stopper though easy to bring back with a command line.

I used the same icon theme for both MX and Mint. One less thing my mind has to think about.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

I have been collecting various backgrounds, screens, what-have-you and have those rotating on the Windows desktop in my office. Most of these I've resized to 1200x900 so they center on the larger desktop with empty space all around.

NASA picture of the day https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html is a good source.

I use a standard dark theme on each OS.