Join Early Retirement Today

Need a new home printer
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need a new home printer

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad and I want to install the new Catalina operating system. It appears that my old Cannon MG 6800 printer will not be compatible with the Catalina OS. I need advice on buying a new home printer. The features I need:
Wireless Printing
Don't necessarily need color printing, I think I can get by with B&W
Need to be able to scan
Need to be able to copy from books, other documents
Compact size for travel
Budget friendly--would rather have a laser printer if possible
Compatible with Catalina
I don't make a ton of copies at a time but I make some copies almost everyday

I don't do much photo printing. I am the Secretary for a Nonprofit Board and do a lot of word processing, copying minutes, etc. Don't need a fax machine.

What suggestions?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a Brother laser would do fine for you. I recommend getting one that will do duplex printing/scanning, to save paper. See https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/os/macintosh.html

Interesting, I just checked the Epson website, https://epson.com/Support/wa00897, for my old WorkForce 845 printer, and it apparently is not supported either. It never occurred to me to check that. Mojave was. Epson does say they will roll out support on an on-going basis, whatever that means. I doubt they will for my old printer though.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Camfused, there are so many Brother products my head is spinning. Do you have a particular model you could recommend for my needs? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Kim Komando, digital goddess, swears by Epson's new WorkForce WF-2860, Expression Home XP-5100 and Expression Premium XP-6000. All are between $120 and $150. You can read about them on her website.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have been very pleased with our Brother printers, but I'd hate to carry them around. We just picked up a refurbished laser with duplex and scanner and wireless for my niece. $90:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

calmloki, thanks but in reading the reviews it does not appear this printer will be compatible with the Macs new operating sytem which is the same problem I am having with my exisiting printer.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a Brother HL-L2300 and love it. Very cheap and reliable. It doesn't appear to be compatible with the OS you mentioned, but I would guess an updated version would be as good.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
calmloki, thanks but in reading the reviews it does not appear this printer will be compatible with the Macs new operating sytem which is the same problem I am having with my exisiting printer.
The HL-L2390DW is listed as supported here:

Quote:
"Most Brother models offer support for macOS Catalina (macOS v10.15.x). The charts below indicate that models offer support for macOS v10.15.x including drivers and utilities available for download."
https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/os/macintosh.html
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
gone traveling

Brother laser multifunction.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

I will add my voice to the choir recommending Brother printers. I replaced a Canon inkjet with a Brother laser several years ago and about a year ago I got Brother inkjet. Generic replacement toner cartridges for Brother's are dirt cheap on Amazon.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OP here, thanks for the suggestions of Brother printers, I will look into them. In the meantime I will hold off on the Catalina OS update. My existing Cannon printer is a perfectly good printer, does all that I need and is fairly lightweight and portable. Hopefully Cannon will update their software to work with Catalina. I will contact Cannon to suggest they update.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:42 AM   #12
gone traveling

My brother laser has always made crappy color copies -- even with the original OEM cartridges. Colors are flat, too much contrast.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy with my HP Laserjet MFP M28w (black and white). I print wirelessly from iPads, iPhones, iMac w/ Catalina and MacBook w/ Mojave.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Simple,Affordable, Wifi, Black and White Toner Laser ---- Toner lasts a long long time --- Print from any wireless device..... I have purchased two of them for each of my homes ..... Brother HL-L2380DW Series
Old 01-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Is it a sign of the times that when I first saw the title of this thread, just for a second it crossed my mind that maybe the OP was talking about 3D printing a home? Just for a nano second but...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If a printer is not supported it does not necessarily mean it won't work.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #17

Highly recommend Brother printers. I've had an older Brother HL-5250DN with an extra paper tray for years. It works great, never had a problem with it. It's fast, print quality is good, can print to both sides of a page, and connects to my home network so anybody can print to it.

I also have a Xerox Phaser 6022 color laser for printing color. I don't use it as often, but it's much nicer than my old Samsung color laser. Print quality is good, it connects to my home network, and it's small enough to fit on my desk.

I'm not a big fan of combo printer/scanners. If one part breaks you have to replace everything. I have a ScanSnap IX500 for fast document scanning, and an Epson V500 flatbed scanner for photos, negatives, or delicate items I don't want to feed through the ScanSnap.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #18

Everyone on this forum seems to recommend Brother B&W lasers. They get great reviews elsewhere as well. So I bought one about a year ago (DCPL2550DW).

Frankly, the print quality has been very disappointing. I'm still on the original toner cartridge and I haven't changed any settings. The edges of letters and numbers are not clear and sharp. They are blurry and pixelated. Any kind of image or gradient is extremely pixelated. This happens on any type of document from any software.

Before retiring, I had a cheap HP B&W laserjet on my desk at work. The print quality was MUCH better than the Brother. Letters were very crisp and sharp. Same for my now-retired HP inkjet... very crisp resolution for text.

Don't get me wrong. The Brother is certainly legible for everyday use and extremely reliable. But I was expecting better print quality based on all the good things I hear about Brother, as well as my prior experience with an HP laserjet in the same basic price range.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Laser print drivers have additional settings to enhance the quality by smoothing out the jaggies and pixelation.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Everyone on this forum seems to recommend Brother B&W lasers. So I bought one about a year ago (DCPL2550DW).
I don't. I say get a Brother printer with a model # that ends in CDW (color, duplex, wireless).
If you want photo quality, then print at your local camera store.

And, don't buy a multi-function machine.
When was the last time you needed to fax?

P.S. I put $200/month into a sinking fund for computer hardware and software. It means that I am relatively impervious (well, no Mac Pro for me) to the price of an individual item.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote