Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
spncity, Jerry1 -

Nice photos.

What type of switches?
Not sure of the brand, all I know is that they’re the brown switches.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Not sure of the brand, all I know is that they’re the brown switches.
Cool. Do you feel the tiny bump feel when pressing the switches?

I spent so much of last week listening to the sounds of the different switches on youtube .

I think it may take a few days for my brain to get used to the feel of my new keyboard. Seems that because the keyboard is new, I need to press a little harder than my previous used Unicomp for a key to register. My brain will adjust (hopefully), like when getting a new pair of glasses.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Cool. Do you feel the tiny bump feel when pressing the switches?
Only if I press the key slow and think about it. It’s very responsive but doesn’t feel mechanical. I had DW type on it and it didn’t miss a beat. I think she got up around 80 words per minute. She could do better but she’s out of practice. I do around 50 so the mechanical keyboard is over kill, but my last keyboard was wireless and had lag, had battery issues and just kept getting worse. So, I got this to ensure I didn’t have those issues any more. It’s wired and mechanical. No lag, no missed letters, no issues and, as mentioned, backlit.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only if I press the key slow and think about it. It’s very responsive but doesn’t feel mechanical. I had DW type on it and it didn’t miss a beat. I think she got up around 80 words per minute. She could do better but she’s out of practice. I do around 50 so the mechanical keyboard is over kill, but my last keyboard was wireless and had lag, had battery issues and just kept getting worse. So, I got this to ensure I didn’t have those issues any more. It’s wired and mechanical. No lag, no missed letters, no issues and, as mentioned, backlit.
From what I've read, the brown keys don't have a click as audible feedback but a small bump at the point the key registers as the tactile feedback.

Back in high school, this is during the 1970's, my high school dean suggested I take a typing class. The dean was totally right as that was how I learned to touch type and that came in handy for when I needed to type term papers in college as well as with computers.

I remember the summer before going off to college, buying a used typewriter from this older gentleman who had a hobby of buying and fixing up used typewriters. There were several in my family out to college at the same time and he sold like 3 or 4 typewriters. I ended up getting a business one (unknown to me at the time as I thought a typewriter is just a typewriter) that had a slightly smaller font. He sold them for I think $10 each, except the one I got was for $20.

I probably could type about 60wpm after practicing. Been awhile since I tested. I'm more normally in the 40s. I can pretty much touch type without looking except for the numbers, I have to peek to avoid bad keystrokes.

I bet if you show a typewriter to kids these days and say you used to use one of these machines that would make an interesting conversation.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

The one thing that I do not like about my new keyboard is the use of a bright, blue LED bulbs as indicators of the num lock, caps lock and scroll lock keys. Especially noticeable at night with less background light.

I wonder why the manufacturer chose to use them instead of the old fashioned light glow green LEDs of the past.

Other that this one minor thing, I quite happy with keyboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg num lock led.jpg (465.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here’s mine. Love the back lighting at night. Even though I can touch type, I still find myself checking myself by looking at the keys.

What model is that? I also want backlighting.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Probably any gaming board as various light back lighting settings.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
K556

https://www.redragonzone.com/collect...aming-tastatur
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #49

Quote:
The one thing that I do not like about my new keyboard is the use of a bright, blue LED bulbs as indicators of the num lock, caps lock and scroll lock keys. Especially noticeable at night with less background light.

I wonder why the manufacturer chose to use them instead of the old fashioned light glow green LEDs of the past.

Other that this one minor thing, I quite happy with keyboard.
They make covers for that.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Ori...6601047&sr=8-4

Of course spending a few bucks more to get it to work how you want is aggravating.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They make covers for that.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Ori...6601047&sr=8-4

Of course spending a few bucks more to get it to work how you want is aggravating.
Something for every need, I guess.

I've been training my brain to only use the num lock when I need to use the keypad. Otherwise, I toggle off. But then, that's additional keypresses toggling on and off.

I have another really bright LED light on a usb hub. To fix that, I used some dark tape to tape over most of the bulb except just a bit showing. Not going to do that to my keyboard's LED though.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #51

Those covers actually let some of the light through. They just mute the brightness of the LED's.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Those covers actually let some of the light through. They just mute the brightness of the LED's.
Interesting. I wouldn't mind the LED on my keyboard dimmed about 50%. But at about $8, that's an expensive fix. Plus, don't think I'd want black sticker dots on the keyboard.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Thought I'd update this thread as while shopping at a Target store earlier, I stepped by the electronics section and had a chance to sample the feel of some mechanical keyboards with different color switches.

My main interest was a keyboard with blue switches and I like the click-clack feedback.

I think the keyboard was a Logitech (my memory isn't the best ). Comparing the click-clack feel and sound of the blue switches on that keyboard to my Unicomp keyboard, the Logitech (I think) was a quiet as a church mouse. There was some tactile feel and sound but not as pronounced as my Unicomp.

There was also white colored keyboard switches and green that I also tried but know I wouldn't get buy without the click-clack. The blue was decent as I could get used to.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I love this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Illu.../dp/B001F51G16

Soft illumination and pretty quiet.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
I love this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Illu.../dp/B001F51G16

Soft illumination and pretty quiet.
I have that keyboard and absolutely LOVE it. The illumination is adjustable which makes it perfect for almost all typing situations. Although it's not a true mechanical, it does have nice resistance and a almost-reminiscent clickity-clack sound to it. Oh, and I think it's pretty dependable...I bought it back in 2015 according to AMZN.

edit- I see it doesn't show WIN 10, but it works just fine.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

I use my keyboard all day long and got sick and tired of the light flimsy keyboards that come with new computers. I purchased a Das Keyboard that should last through the next few new computers / rebuilds. There are several models but I chose the Professional 4 model below. The volume control wheel is wonderful. You get what you pay for in this case.

https://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-...s%2C193&sr=8-3
stedmakr is offline   Reply With Quote