Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My LF has a Lexmark all-in-one color printer but she rarely prints or makes copies but the ink cartridges dry up quickly, requiring replacement or refill (which I have to do). Her birthday is in a few weeks so I will buy her an all-in-one laser printer (black ink only, no color) for around $100 and take her old one so I can have something which can scan/fax and with my existing laser printer use it as a copier. Remember, laser printers use toner which is fine powder, not ink, so they won't dry up due to infrequent use.
I ended up buying her an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M130nw all-in-one printer from Best Buy. It was marked down to $70, a pleasant surprise. I installed it at her place last week (prior to her b-day) and she has already used it to print some stuff. I took her old all-in-one because I can use a scanner and can combine that feature with my own PC and printer to make copies of documents once in a while.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

If there are any electricians in the crowd, would be interested in thoughts...

When printing from the brand new laser printer, lights in a couple of the upstairs rooms flicker. The rest of the house is fine.

Reading up on laser printers, apparently this is normal, if laser printers are on the same circuit as lights.

The flickering isn't really more than a curiosity. But I do wonder whether, after the power drawdown that causes the flicker, there is then a corresponding power surge to outlets in the rest of the house... and whether electronics could be at risk as a result (e.g. iPad plugged in to charge).

If so, presumably one solution (short of having an electrician move the printer outlet to a separate circuit) would be to buy surge protectors for the important outlets in the house... but before going to that trouble and expense, would be interested to know whether, from the point of view of folks more electrically knowledgeable, it would be worthwhile or not.
TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMeasure View Post
Just a short collective thank you to everyone who posted thoughts on this thread. All the commentary (laser vs. inkjest, Brother printer recommendations, etc.) was very helpful color and cut down a great deal on sifting of Amazon reviews.

Settled on the Brother DCPL25502DW as a good medium between cost and functionality. Wireless printing has been a revelation!

(Yes, still easily amazed by technology. Who was it who said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...)
Thanks for letting us know, and I added that printer to my wishlist as it looks like an easy replacement for my current one, if/when it wears out.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #64

Quote:

When printing from the brand new laser printer, lights in a couple of the upstairs rooms flicker. The rest of the house is fine.
I can't answer your other questions but when we bought our first laser printer, when it powered up the voltage drawdown would cause the PC to reboot even though it was on a UPS. The temporary fix was to run a 12-gauge extension cord to it from one of the 20-amp circuits in the kitchen. That of course was a royal pita and DW grumped a bit.

The more permanent fix was to have an electrician install a separate 20-amp circuit just for the printer. The replacement laser printer doesn't draw nearly as much power but since the separate outlet is there I continue to use that.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Reading up on laser printers, apparently this is normal, if laser printers are on the same circuit as lights.

The flickering isn't really more than a curiosity. But I do wonder whether, after the power drawdown that causes the flicker, there is then a corresponding power surge to outlets in the rest of the house... and whether electronics could be at risk as a result (e.g. iPad plugged in to charge).

If so, presumably one solution (short of having an electrician move the printer outlet to a separate circuit) would be to buy surge protectors for the important outlets in the house... but before going to that trouble and expense, would be interested to know whether, from the point of view of folks more electrically knowledgeable, it would be worthwhile or not.
I wouldn't worry about surge damage from this effect. Most devices these days can handle a little voltage drop, which is what you are seeing. An iPad on charge? Nah, don't worry about that. No surge, at worse, an interruption in charging.

More concerning would be a computer or DVR that takes enough of a hit to reboot. That's unusual these days, but you see Walt had that issue a while ago. Anything that reboots or resets is a problem. Otherwise, you are OK. I have my computers on very small UPS devices to absorb voltage drops. We get them from time to time on the main line.

Some of my house is wired with 12 gauge, and some with 14 gauge. If you ever find yourself building a house, insist on 20 amp circuits just about everywhere you expect to have any electronics.

BTW, you may not notice it, but I bet you your vacuum cleaner does the same thing to your power.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks! That one looks great, so I bookmarked it too. I don't really need wi-fi or a copier so it is definitely in the running.
The 2320 is routinely on sale, often at $59.99 or even $49.99. Check Staples and Best Buy - both have had them for $49.99. We own four, one in Arizona and three spread out here. They are hardwired, not wireless, but they just keep working.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The 2320 is routinely on sale, often at $59.99 or even $49.99. Check Staples and Best Buy - both have had them for $49.99. We own four, one in Arizona and three spread out here. They are hardwired, not wireless, but they just keep working.
Thank you! That sounds like just what I want. I always use my laptop from my insanely expensive but oh-so-comfy Italian leather easy chair. I keep my printer right beside me there too, so it is actually easier for me to just use a USB connector instead of wireless.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Does printer ink dry out? I am hesitant to purchase a second printer for my Florida house because it will sit idle for six months. I am assuming that would clog up the printer jets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Printer ink dries out over time - especially in a nozzle - which is problem for printers that use ink like inkjet printers. But laser printers don't use ink. They use toner which is a dry power. It doesn't really age (OK, maybe after a few decades, not sure).
As I said somewhere else on this forum, I have a small business that does purchasing for some labs in my old Megacorp. For one of them over the past 9 years I've had to order refurbished HP Laserjets of a particular model, because they have a closet full of toner cartridges they are trying to use up. The toner has outlasted more than one printer.
Need a New Printer
Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need a New Printer

Anybody have any experience with compact portable wireless printers? I’m looking for one to carry in the motor home for occasional printing needs. I don’t see that there is a lot of selection in this category. And, what’s out there seems a little pricy compared to regular desktop printers.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

I purchased a basic Brother laser printer for $50 a few years ago and it has worked great. No worry about dried ink, rebuilt replacement cartridges are cheap and the cartridges do a lot of printing before the ink runs out.
+1 for cheap cost effective Brother laser printers. Current one is four years old and have used maybe three cartridges through the years.

I thought inkjet printers went out with the horse and buggy !
Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I currently have a laser Canon MF3010. It is a fine little machine. It lacks wireless and sheet feeder. Time has passed and features have gotten better.

This discussion has me thinking it might be time to make a change come next cartridge empty time.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you! That sounds like just what I want. I always use my laptop from my insanely expensive but oh-so-comfy Italian leather easy chair. I keep my printer right beside me there too, so it is actually easier for me to just use a USB connector instead of wireless.
On sale at both Best Buy and Staples this week for $59.99.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I currently have a laser Canon MF3010. It is a fine little machine. It lacks wireless and sheet feeder. Time has passed and features have gotten better.

This discussion has me thinking it might be time to make a change come next cartridge empty time.

Perhaps consider shopping for a suitable laser printer when it's on sale. That way you'll have it on hand when the Canon finally runs out of ink.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Anybody have any experience with compact portable wireless printers? I’m looking for one to carry in the motor home for occasional printing needs. I don’t see that there is a lot of selection in this category. And, what’s out there seems a little pricy compared to regular desktop printers.

I don't know how small a unit needs to be to be defined as "compact".

My Brother printers are both 14"x14"x7" = essentially a small "box" in size and shape.

I think a Brother laser printer could be tucked into any nook or cranny. With units for sale for $49-99, they are inexpensive as well as long-lasting.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If those lights are on the same circuit, it's probably no cause for alarm. You might throw a circuit breaker every now and then. If they're on a different circuit, that could indicate a floating neutral. A floating neutral can cause some circuits to see more than 120 volts, which is a problem. But if it was that, you would have seen similar behavior when running a microwave or vacuum or power tools.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #76

Quote:
You can often find the Brother 2320D for $50 on sale. Those things last forever. We have several. No wi-fi, but for basic black and white printing, nothing beats the price or durability.
These are on sale at Best Buy for $49.99 this week.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #77

I'm also tired of having to go through the head cleaning on my inkjet all-in-1. So looking to buy a laser soon. But I want a small one to carry in the motorhome when we travel. We often find a need to print out something whether it's directions or hiking maps. Looking at either the Samsung SL-M2020W or HP LaserJet Pro M15w. The Samsung may be at its end of life while the HP is a newer model. Probably go with the HP. We'll keep the Epson for printing color and scanning/copying.
Has anyone tried the different apps for scanning using your smartphone?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
...Has anyone tried the different apps for scanning using your smartphone?
Sort of. We used Google PhotoScan to scan some old photos... it works really well.

https://www.google.com/photos/scan/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
These are on sale at Best Buy for $49.99 this week.
Wow, thank you so much!!! I just ordered it, shipping is free, and it will arrive on or before Wednesday.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bumping this thread...

For those of you interested in the Brother B&W laser printer mentioned several times on this thread, I noticed where Best Buy has them on sale again for $50 with free shipping.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother...&skuId=4499400