Join Early Retirement Today

Nest Cam Outdoor
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nest Cam Outdoor

I am leaning very strongly towards the Nest Cam Outdoor.

I have a ledge outside my the windows on my 2nd floor.
I wouldn't have to pay anyone to mount it.

I think I should be able to close the window over the flat cable and get the flat cable into the house that way.

Anyone have one of these?
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 at my rental. Good sound quality and pic. I pay the less than 10 bucks a month for the 5 day storage monitoring. My front door camera is a little far away from my wifi router and will lose signal rarely. I also have a alert on my phone every time the camera activates. I freaked my neighbor out when he was cleaning my porch and I yelled at him thru the speaker.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the Ring doorbell cam, so when I needed more coverage, I went with their Floodlight Cam. Was able to use it in an existing floodlight fixture high on my detached garage, offering a view of my driveway, garages, and backyard. I get alerts from both on my smartphone.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have several and they work great.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have six Nest outdoor cameras between two homes. They work great IMO. For four of them I drilled through the side of the house and sealed it up after running the wires through. I was also able to hide wires behind siding. Wires are not obvious to anyone on the outside.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

Can I set the Nest Outdoor Cam to not trigger on motion?
I just want it to record 24/7.

Is the HD version worth the extra money?

Is the cable as thin as it seems so that I can close a window on it?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I have the Ring doorbell cam, so when I needed more coverage, I went with their Floodlight Cam. Was able to use it in an existing floodlight fixture high on my detached garage, offering a view of my driveway, garages, and backyard. I get alerts from both on my smartphone.

I bought the Ring DoorBell v1 for the front door.
I have not installed it yet.

With the Ring Floodlight Cam, can you set it to record 24/7 in addition to having the alerts?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Nest outdoor camera records 24/7. Notifications can be triggered when there is motion. HD allows you to choose the quality you want, so it doesn't eat all your bandwidth, but can increase it to higher quality if you need to. It also records sound.
I doubt it would allow you to close a window, but I'm not familiar with your windows.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Nest Cam Outdoor
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Nest Cam Outdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post

With the Ring Floodlight Cam, can you set it to record 24/7 in addition to having the alerts?

I have a Ring Doorbell and two Ring Spotlight Cams. Very happy with how they work. But, I don’t believe that you can set them to record 24/7. I don’t really see a benefit in 24/7 recording if you are already capturing the motion events. Why would you want to review hours of nothing happening?

My biggest issue with the cams is that I have a bit of a wasp problem around my house and for whatever reason they seem attracted to the camera lens. I get notifications of someone at the driveway and when I check the video all I see is what appears to be a giant monster wasp (within an inch of the lens).
IMG_0452.jpg
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Can I set the Nest Outdoor Cam to not trigger on motion?
I just want it to record 24/7.

Is the HD version worth the extra money?

Is the cable as thin as it seems so that I can close a window on it?
Multiple notification settings - none, any activity, spot a person. Also sounds. Notification can be text or email. If all you want is recording, either version will do. The cable is like a flat speaker cable, I wouldn't close a window on it.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #11

I ended up buying a $80 Vimtag from Amazon.

Obviously not as good as the Nest from the reviews, but I can record to SD card or server.

It is a learning process.