Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #201
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I just watched A Royal Affair, which is a Danish movie from 2012. Yes, it has subtitles. It's about Queen Caroline Mathilde, who was brought from England at the age of 16 in the 18th century to marry King Christian II, who was a bit unhinged. When he has an meltdown during a Grand Tour of Europe, a German country doctor (who shares with the King a respect for the ideas of the Enlightenment) is brought in to become his personal physician. Much politicking, sexual intrigue and drama follow. It's a true story. The three main characters are very well acted, particularly the King. The production values are very high. This film got an Oscar nomination for best foreign language film, which I think was justified. Five stars.
I watched Fill the Void last Sunday. Hebrew with English subtitles. It's not available on Netflix but is at Red Box. I thought it was an excellent movie with the most beautiful soundtrack. I can't quit listening to this song.

The movie is about an 18 year old (Shira) who is asked to consider marrying her BIL after her sister dies in childbirth, so the grandchild stays close to the family. I'm still bothered by the movie a week later.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another movie with subtitles: Amelie (2001). I loved this magical French film about a young naive Parisienne. Audrey Toutou was charming in the title role. The sets, cinematography and soundtrack all complement a plot that is all about the details. It received many Oscar nominations but no wins, though it did win at the BAFTA awards.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Another movie with subtitles: Amelie (2001). I loved this magical French film about a young naive Parisienne. Audrey Toutou was charming in the title role. The sets, cinematography and soundtrack all complement a plot that is all about the details. It received many Oscar nominations but no wins, though it did win at the BAFTA awards.
I discovered this movie recently and enjoyed it too.

House of Cards is coming back to Netflix! Season 2 starts on 02/14.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguyinla View Post
My Netflix find is gem of a comedy called The IT Crowd. British comedy. Love how the Brits can take the simplest, smallest location and make it hilarious.
We've really enjoyed this one too. Have seen the first 2 discs so far and it's got some funny nerd situations.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched a documentary last night that I thought was very interesting: Drew - The Man Behind The Poster. You probably don't know the name Drew Struzan, but I'll guarantee you know his work. In the 70s and 80s he painted posters for a LOT of movies including the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.

I started out in this same field (even went to the same school) so maybe I'm just a geek, but I found this quite enjoyable.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #206
Dryer sheet wannabe

I watched Hachi starring Richard Gere recently. It's a true story about a dog who waited for his deceased master at the train station for 9 years after his death. I'm an animal person so I liked it OK. Not your typical RG movie though.[/QUOTE]

I love that movie - but I literally sob every time I watch it so I don't watch it often.
kareninthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #207
Confused about dryer sheets

The series Dexter is quite unique !
StarJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #208
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw The Croods yesterday and I liked it. Visual effects are fantastic, i.e, watch it on HDTV. The story line is interesting. Watch it with kids. They will love it.

I recently got my DNA ancestry report done by 23andme.com and this movie seems to support the theory of Neanderthal interbreeding with homo sapiens.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Here's a full movie on Youtube just for the landlords and real estate moguls in the group. Ebert hated it, but it has figured in my nightmares more than once in the decades since it came out.
Pacific Heights:

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #210

The Fabulous Ice Age trailer on Vimeo

I watched The Fabulous Ice Age today on Netflix. Nice little documentary about ice skating shows.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #211
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watched the latest Star Trek movie (Into Darkness). Not pure bovine excretion but pretty close.. definitely in the lower third of all the Trek movies. With declining quality and the same director it doesn't bode well for the upcoming Star Wars movies by the same director.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Watched the latest Star Trek movie (Into Darkness). Not pure bovine excretion but pretty close.. definitely in the lower third of all the Trek movies. With declining quality and the same director it doesn't bode well for the upcoming Star Wars movies by the same director.
The best critique of Star Trek (the original TV series, plus the films) came from, I think, director Rod Lurie. He observed that there was no corner the writers could get themselves into that they couldn't get out of just by making stuff up.

"Cap'n, if we cross streams on the neutralizer, we could reverse polarity of the dilithium crystals. There's a chance we could go back in time and avoid the whole problem!"
"There's a one-in-a-million chance that just might work!"
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
House of Cards is coming back to Netflix! Season 2 starts on 02/14.
I've been binge watching Season 2 of House of Cards (US version) over the past week. The acting is excellent. This season has a number of bombshells which I won't disclose, but the main story parallels the original British book and series. There will be a third season, and I know how it will end, just not how.

In an interview on Letterman, Kevin Spacey said that congressmen have told him the story is 99% true to life, the exception being that it would be impossible to get an education bill passed in so short a time. I hope he was joking.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

We watched the second season, but felt it wasn't up to par with season 1. As far as how realistic...some of it probably is. Anything that comes out of the mouth of a politician or actor is usually fictitious.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #215
Gone but not forgotten

We watched American Hustle . It started slow but got much better .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Watched an enjoyed this musical: Mama Mia. Maybe only in DVD form.

I liked the music on Pandora so thought this would be fun.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

I thought House of Cards was top notch and it makes me sad I sold Netflix stock at $80. Their original content blows away anything on network TV except HBO, Showtime and AMC (Breaking Bad one of my all time favorite shows and The Killing is quite good too).

Orange is the new Black is coming back soon, as is the rather weird second season of Hemlock Grove (which has the best werewolf transformation I have ever seen).
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #218
Gone but not forgotten

inequality for all is now available on Netflix
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Yes, the latest movies are just shoot them ups. They simply don't understand what ST is about. Just once can we have a ST movie where the Enterprise doesn't get demolished by some aliens ship?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
inequality for all is now available on Netflix

I watched that the other night. It was very good. I am a big admirer of Robert Reich. I think he is a very dedicated man and has a pretty clear picture of how things are.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote