Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not on Netflix (I'm waiting to see what the upcoming Apple TV update brings) and haven't found a way to browse the movie catalogue without subscribing. BUT...

If you like quirky Aussie films, check out "Mary & Max." It's Touching, Funny and very (umm) Unique.

Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #22

If you haven't watched the original House of Cards, I recommend it.
The new Netflix series was based on a British original. I watched it a while back (on a series of 3 DVDs) and really enjoyed it.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

also available by streaming:
Watch House of Cards Trilogy (BBC) Online | Netflix
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recent diversions include:
- The Way ~ Martin Sheen. Also highly recommend. Man does the pilgrammage on the Camino de Santiago in honour of his son.
- The Mongol. Beautifully shot movie about the young years of a Mongol emperor (hint)
- BBC Sherlock... yes, again. The third time.
- The Walking Dead, season 1. Mehh, it's okay. A little to soap opera-y.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, Netflix also has three of my favorite "little movies" on there. The Station Agent, The Legend of 1900 and The Usual Suspects (ok, not so little).
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Koogie, I also loved The Way and of course Mongol was fantastic!
We saw it in the theater, though, and it was even more impressive!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Koogie & Sarah - If you enjoyed "The Way" you might also enjoy more lighthearted adventures on the Way of Saint James - alas not available on Netflix
There is a an excellent French comedy called "Start Walking!" (original title is Saint Jacques ... La Mecque).
I bought a Canadian DVD to have English subtitles (my French is terrible), but it's quite expensive now ( Amazon.com: Saint-Jacques... La Mecque )

Sarah - if we ever drag our sailboat your way, I'll try to remember to bring it with us

sailor
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely! And hope the sailing is going well! We just had one of those two happy days--a guy called us out of the blue and wanted to buy our trawler! So we are (for the time being at least) boatless.
Thanks for the tip--I might see if my local library can get it. I have no French whatsoever.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you haven't watched the original House of Cards, I recommend it.
The new Netflix series was based on a British original. I watched it a while back (on a series of 3 DVDs) and really enjoyed it.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

also available by streaming:
Watch House of Cards Trilogy (BBC) Online | Netflix
+1

I have watched the new US series and am two-thirds through the UK trilogy. Very enjoyable.
amfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Watched the first episode of the US version of House of Cards and decided I had no desire to watch further. While there are certainly power driven ugly people in the world that doesn't mean they have to be associated with. Souls like cinders. No beauty. no need for that in my life.

The intro with the wounded dog I understood, killing the dog made sense - "I have no patience for useless pain". This show, for me, was useless pain.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
+1
Also addicted to Doc Martin.
You and me have the same tastes, imoldernu. I posted on your other thread about how we watch TV.

Love Doc Martin and the British detective series on Netflix.

Also, check out the original House of Cards, British of course, but again only available on DVD's from Netflix. I will watch the new version, but can't believe it could be as good as the original. sniff sniff.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #30

The Sherlock BBC series. Outstanding. I think I need to watch them again.

The US adaptation, Elementary, didn't do it for me.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #31

DW and I also loved "the way". As far as original netflix programming, "Lillihammer" with Steve Van Zant is very funny. They made 8 episodes last year and hopefully will be making more soon.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #32

The red violin.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #33

Breaking Bad- start with Season 1 Episode 1-Pilot
Downtown Abbey also fun
Season 1 of Walking Dead also fun but very very gory.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
Also, check out the original House of Cards, British of course, but again only available on DVD's from Netflix. I will watch the new version, but can't believe it could be as good as the original. sniff sniff.
The original House of Cards is also available via the BBC iPlayer app. A monthly subscription costs ~$8 and you can download programs. I really enjoyed rewatching Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson in the title role, which made a big impression on my teenage brain back in 1971. There are some good documentaries and British comedy too. And the wondeful 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. Am currently watching Lark Rise to Candleford, a drama series about Victorian rural life in Oxfordshire. However, not all BBC programs are available via the app. Some can be viewed without a subsciption.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Re: the Netflix series... there are at least 15 different British detective series. We finished Touch of Frost, much of Miss Marple, and working on Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Cadfael, and several more... With some of the series having 30 or more episodes, no way to finish in this lifetime.
The best part of using Netflix, is being able to stop the movie at any point, and come back later, to pick up where you left off.
Can't tell the difference between current series, and those from 20 years ago.. Going to Finish House of Cards, old series, before the new one, though the first two episodes were pretty good, even when they raised my blood pressure.
Also finished Damages... as far as it went.
Watching Downton Abbey on PBS Sundays... will be sad when it's over.
After finishing the 10,000 offerings on Netflix, will shift over to Amazon.

Five years ago, I'd have said "Too much TV"... "Get a Life!"

Now... not so much...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Dropped Dish network and went to Netflix
Could I ask why did you dropped Dish? Was it cost, service, programing, etc? Am seriously considering switching from Direct TV to Dish due to customer service/support issues?

By the way, the NetFlix service has been great for us.... The wife ordered the movie "Flight" which I watched last night... Not the best movie I've seen but pretty good.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We had reduced our Dish bill from about $80/month to $48 or so but the ability to load up the DVR with multiple series meant that we were slaves to a stack of recorded current week entertainment. I have a fairly high threshold for mediocre tv but got sick of it. With Netflix (and now Hulu [damnit]) we have plenty of series to watch at a third the cost of our last Dish bill. Better yet, our palette has more variety. Brit sitcoms and Korean movies for the win! Atttack the Gas Station 2 or The Good, The Bad, and The Weird for example.

We had Direct Tv before Dish and found them very similar.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Re: the Netflix series... there are at least 15 different British detective series. We finished Touch of Frost, much of Miss Marple, and working on Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Cadfael, and several more... With some of the series having 30 or more episodes, no way to finish in this lifetime.
The best part of using Netflix, is being able to stop the movie at any point, and come back later, to pick up where you left off.
Can't tell the difference between current series, and those from 20 years ago.. Going to Finish House of Cards, old series, before the new one, though the first two episodes were pretty good, even when they raised my blood pressure.
Also finished Damages... as far as it went.
Watching Downton Abbey on PBS Sundays... will be sad when it's over.
After finishing the 10,000 offerings on Netflix, will shift over to Amazon.

Five years ago, I'd have said "Too much TV"... "Get a Life!"

Now... not so much...
re: many-episode British detective series. One benefit of getting older--after watching the whole series (Touch of Frost being one of my favorites), I can go back to watch again and enjoy them because I can't remember who-dun-it!
Many of those series are so rich in characters and red herrings that you can enjoy them over and over.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I finished watching the whole thing on Sunday. It gets the thumbs up from me too.
Yes, me too. Loved it and I am a fan of binge watching...
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #40

I saw the House of Cards commercial but couldn't remember the name of the series. Thanks!

My son recommended Secretariat which I enjoyed.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote