Netflix movie or show suggestion

We watch PBS shows on AppleTV via the PBS.org app. Recently aired shows are usually available to watch for free.

Earlier this week PBS sent me an email to let me know that the entire Mr. Selfridge Season 2 shows (Masterpiece Theater) would be available to watch for a week until 3/29. We had already watched one of the mid-season shows and thought it was pretty neat. I don't usually like to binge watch, but we decided it would be worth it this time.

Wow! Very enjoyable slice of London life in 1914 with a mix of American and English characters. Awesome settings and costumes. You really feel the whole Edwardian turn of the century vibe, art deco, etc. You really feel like you are there.

We hadn't seen Season 1. It didn't matter.

Selfridge's is a real store in London founded by a Chicago businessman.

Last edited:
We just finished watching West Wing, and I finished The Fall. Both were thoroughly enjoyable, although WW was a bit long.

Now we're starting Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime. DW is enthralled so far - we're at episode 3. :)

Last edited:
I've been watching "The Assets". A very good 1980's CIA/KGB spy series drama. Only lasted one season, (more reason to watch) probably not popular with low attention span audiences. Good acting, good characters and good story.

Edit: I should have said set in the 1980's but aired in 2014.

Last edited:
I've been watching "The Assets". A very good 1980's CIA/KGB spy series drama. Only lasted one season, (more reason to watch) probably not popular with low attention span audiences. Good acting, good characters and good story.

Edit: I should have said set in the 1980's but aired in 2014.

I just started watching it last week. Very good. I recognized the lead actress but couldn't quite place her so had to look her up and she played the mother of the missing boy in the drama Broadchurch. These folks get around, a Dorset village one week, Washington DC the next.

I have been enjoying "Turn", a period spy TV series taking place during the American Revolutionary War.

I'm watching Lilyhammer. New York mafioso enters the witness protection program and starts a new life in Lillehammer, Norway. "Lily" refers to his dog, who was shot in NYC. The main character is played by Steven Van Zandt, a member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. It's a comedy of sorts. I guess I am attracted to the "fish out of water" situation he is in, and how he adapts to it. Four out of five stars.

Yep we did the binge on Lillyhammer as well. Great show, even if you have to read it as much as watch, thanks to the Norwegian spoken much of the time!

Yep we did the binge on Lillyhammer as well. Great show, even if you have to read it as much as watch, thanks to the Norwegian spoken much of the time!

I like "foreign" movies and subtitles don't bother me at all.

I like "foreign" movies and subtitles don't bother me at all.

Heck, we use closed captioning on a regular basis as I got tired of turning the explosions down and the conversations up. Plus some British/Irish/Scottish/Aussie can be hard to follow for us as Americans, especially the high speed frenetic shows like Dr. Who or Sherlock Holmes.

But when watching shows where the CC isn't pre-edited can be infuriating. Not that I blame them. I can imagine trying to listen to sports broadcaster and type what they are saying in real time would be impossible. Even if I was deaf I think I'd rather just watch the event and ignore the CC.

We also did the binge watch of lillyhammer. watched the whole season in a week. Very funny. Can't wait for the next season. Also did the house of cards. Just announced a fourth season of this series.

We also watched all of HoC to date. But honestly, the very best show we've ever watched was Deadwood. I'm so bummed that it ended. Talk about a binge!

Thanks to all those who suggested Lilyhammer, I am binging on it right now... :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

A week? You are underestimating my binging abilities, Sarah, I am already on season 2. What can I say, it was a rainy day....:D

Shade -

Last edited:
Tracks is a 2013 Australian drama film directed by John Curran and starring Mia Wasikowska and Adam Driver. It is an adaptation of Robyn Davidson's memoir of the same name, chronicling the author's nine-month journey on camels across the Australian desert. (Wikipedia quote.)

5*

Just watched Little Voice on Neflix streaming. A film from 1998 that I'd not heard of, starring Michael Caine, Brenda Blethyn, Jim Broadbent and Jane Horrocks. Jane Horrocks was nominated for an Oscar and I can definitely see why. Never would have thought she had such a wonderful singing voice. Set in Scarborough, so watch out for the 4 Yorkshiremen.

Just watched Little Voice on Neflix streaming. A film from 1998 that I'd not heard of, starring Michael Caine, Brenda Blethyn, Jim Broadbent and Jane Horrocks. Jane Horrocks was nominated for an Oscar and I can definitely see why. Never would have thought she had such a wonderful singing voice. Set in Scarborough, so watch out for the 4 Yorkshiremen.

Thanks Alan! Just finished season 4 o f Vera on Netflix DVDs, and I'm going through Brenda Blethyn withdrawal. I'll check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Not a movie but a TV series. I just finished watching Lights Out, a 13 episode drama from F/X about a heavyweight fighter trying to make a comeback. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Question: How does one know if they have seen all the discs in a series? Is there a fool proof way?

Background: It used to be that one could see the full viewing history. Now only a small set of discs seems to come up under "My Activity". Nowadays I rate (assign stars to) each disc so at least it shows up with a marker if I forget and request it again. But it appears that in a series (like Vera), if you rate the first disc the others in a season could show that same rating too.

Question: How does one know if they have seen all the discs in a series? Is there a fool proof way?

Background: It used to be that one could see the full viewing history. Now only a small set of discs seems to come up under "My Activity". Nowadays I rate (assign stars to) each disc so at least it shows up with a marker if I forget and request it again. But it appears that in a series (like Vera), if you rate the first disc the others in a season could show that same rating too.

I'm afraid I don't know. It is annoying.

The 1980's classic series of the Raj Quartet, "The Jewel in The Crown" has just been suggested when I logged onto Netflix tonight. I was an avid fan at the time and intend to watch it again.

The 1980's classic series of the Raj Quartet, "The Jewel in The Crown" has just been suggested when I logged onto Netflix tonight. I was an avid fan at the time and intend to watch it again.

I was so happy to see that, too, Alan. Got the series on DVD from Netflix a few years ago. Still as wonderful as I remembered from the 80's. Looking forward to streaming it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom