Netflix movie or show suggestion

The movie "Greenberg" with Ben Stiller. I got it on DVD, so was able to watch the director's commentary on it. He mentioned Philip Roth and Saul Bellow and implied the main character was like someone in a Roth or Bellow novel. But I just couldn't think of Ben Stiller that way. Maybe with different actors and actresses. ANd the lead actress, Greta Gerwig was a clone of Chloe Sverigny (aka Sevigny) , and I kept thinking "You are NOT in the same league as Chloe!" Ok, with those criticisms, I must say I did enjoy the movie. It just could have been so much better, that's all.

Vexed has had us laughing and laughing, especially season 2. It's very non-PC. British.

We enjoyed [-]Simmering Lake[/-] last night. Works backwards through a bank robbery gone bad.

EDIT: sorry, Shimmer Lake

Last edited:
Watched 2 episodes of House of Cards latest season. Trying to get into it. Seems too much like real life...

I saw most of the first 2 seasons. The real elections turned me off enough to not go back for more of HOC. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Worked through NetFlix music documentaries last week while the kids were out of town. In order of preference:
1. Crossfire Hurricane - done in conjunction with the Stones 50th anniversary. Interesting approach - video was exclusively archival, while the audio was current. Great footage, and nice to hear their seasoned perspectives on events many years ago.
2. Joe Cocker: Mad Dog with Soul - Have long loved his interpretation of other's songs. Thought it was an honest portrayal, and had substantial interviews of his wife. Rita Coolidge is still a nice looking lady ;)
3. Glen Campbell: I'll be Me - documented his final tour after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Really loved it, the guy was still able to do an impressive guitar solo at the start of the tour. Very emotional, though and I couldn't finish it.
4. Janis:Little Girl Blue - Although she has a small recorded catalog, I like the way Janis Joplin would punch a song. Thought it was a fairly complete picture, and rounded out what I had already learned. Dick Cavett's stories were a nice surprise.
5. Keith Richards: Under the Influence - Liked this a lot, because Keef ;). If you watch this and Crossfire Hurricane, you can skip reading Keith's book "Life" and about the only thing you'll miss is how much Keith loves his wife and family.
6. Sinatra: To be Frank - Good chronology of his life, but highly sanitized.

Binge watched season 1 of Suits...really enjoyed it. Covert Affairs has been good, so far, too. Both on Amazon Prime...

Watched the first 2 episodes of Shooter last night. Looks like it might be pretty good.
Finished watching The Outsiders (on Amazon Prime video) and really enjoyed that series.

I liked 'Narco' a lot and have now started watching 'Chapo', which is pretty good too...if you can handle english subtitles.

Patriot on Amazon Prime is an offbeat comedy-drama. A CIA undercover operative gets a job with a pipe company in Milwaukee and ends up going on a business trip to Luxembourg.

I saw most of the first 2 seasons. The real elections turned me off enough to not go back for more of HOC. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Watch the original British version. Much better, IMHO. And only 12 episodes long.

Here are a few we have liked:

Vexed - Comedy police procedural. So far season 2 (after watched a few) is better we think.

Flaked - Venice beach folks who have had some problems making it in life. Kind of like the "in" high school set that matured but missed out economically. Mild comedy.

Escape to the Country - This is a British show that features couples looking at their dream country houses in the UK. So if you've ever been curious about such a big move, this helps to show the real estate available (circa 2014) and pricing too as well as some of the realities. Also a bit about those cute country villages is thrown in.

We just watched No Escape. It was a real nailbiter. The story is about a family caught in a coup in SE Asia.

+1 on Ozark. We have only seen two episodes, but I would recommend it and Jason Bateman does a damn good job playing the part.

Flaked was pretty good too, but I *think* it's labeled as a "comedy" which although there are some funny parts, it sure wasn't very funny to me.

Here are a few we have liked:

Vexed - Comedy police procedural. So far season 2 (after watched a few) is better we think.

Flaked - Venice beach folks who have had some problems making it in life. Kind of like the "in" high school set that matured but missed out economically. Mild comedy.

Escape to the Country - This is a British show that features couples looking at their dream country houses in the UK. So if you've ever been curious about such a big move, this helps to show the real estate available (circa 2014) and pricing too as well as some of the realities. Also a bit about those cute country villages is thrown in.

If you're still craving Escape to the Country after Netflix, there's a big stash on Dailymotion, a free service similar to YouTube. The show is far superior to House Hunters International. The searchers do not always find their dream homes, and there's much more attention paid to community and surroundings. I lived in the U.K. back in the mid-seventies; the Unindicted Co-Conspirator lived there in the early eighties, and as a result we're both rabid Anglophiles. We gaze at videos of the British landscape with the longing of kids with their noses pressed against the confectioner's window. Someday...

Back
Top Bottom