Netflix movie or show suggestion

It is an old movie but was recommended to me - The boy in the striped pajamas. 8 year old boy whose father is made commandant at a concentration camp. They move to a home next to the camp. Won't give an more away. A very moving and sad movie from a book by the same title.

The Night Manager is a good story. Hugh Laurie is the bad guy. Tom Hiddleston is the good guy. Sort of James Bondish. CIA, gun running etc... Something like 8 episodes.

Thank you (and you, andyou...) for the suggestion on Ozark. Have watched two episodes and the show has kept my interest all the way through. Bateman is perfect for this role.

Last edited:
Watched 10 episodes of Ozark. Very good. I expect it to run for at least one more season. Good story, good acting.

Fauda.
Israeli show about a squad hunting for a terrorist. Interesting that you can choose the audio language, but only the Hebrew speakers change-- the Arabic speakers stay in Arabic.

I am hinge watching Shooter today. It is about an ex Marine sniper who is caught up in a big international conspiracy. It is some goodmstuff.

watched part of the first episode of ozark last night - good to see esai morales is still at large!

Watch the original British version. Much better, IMHO. And only 12 episodes long.

There were three series in the British version: House of Cards, To Play the King, and The Final Cut. Each is four episodes in length. Ian Richardson was absolutely fantastic as Francis Urquhart. He'd break the fourth wall by looking directly into the camera and confiding in you. As power corrupted, you found yourself not merely a witness, but complicit. Brilliant television.

And here's a little tidbit I noticed when I first saw it. The female investigative journalist in the British series was Mattie Storin. At the time, the Editor of the Boston Globe, my hometown paper, was named Matt Storin. I wondered if there was a connection. Turned out there was: the author of the original novel, Michael Dobbs, had actually worked at the Globe with Matt Storin in the early seventies, when Storin was Metro Editor.

(in best Paul Harvey tones) And now you know ... the rest of the sto-ry.

I watched a few episodes of Ozark last night. It is a slow burn. The acting is superior, I agree.

I just finished watching the first season. It's pretty good, but what's up with so many graphic gay sex scenes? I didn't see the need because it didn't have anything to do with the plot.

I just finished watching the first season. It's pretty good, but what's up with so many graphic gay sex scenes? I didn't see the need because it didn't have anything to do with the plot.

Ugh... I recently added this show to my Netflix list, but after reading this, I may have to remove it. I have absolutely nothing against gays and totally support things like marriage equality, but I personally can't stand to watch gay sex scenes. Maybe I'll watch the first few episodes and see if it's good enough to deal with the annoyance of having to avert my eyes during those scenes.

I didn't find the gay sex scenes to be excessive. I thought they were trying to convey relationship evolvement. I am female so maybe that makes a difference. The sex scene I had trouble watching was with Bateman. He was a regular cast on a sitcom in the 80's when he was very young and I used to watch it all the time, so watching his sex scene on Ozark was kind of like having to watch my grown-up cousin making out in front of me or something. (Ew..)

I liked the strip club scenes where nobody had fake pieces implanted in their bodies. Kind of refreshing.

I don't want to give up too much but I loved the scene where this old lady gets hit by a truck - that was like a Six Feet Under moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I am currently watching Samurai Gourmet, a Netflix original series. The story is about a 60 years old salaryman, newly retired from 39 years of corporate life, he likens his newfound freedom to that of a masterless samurai.
Each episode centers around a particular Japanese dish and the viewer gets to see how it is prepared somewhere in the show. This show satisfies the travel bug and the aspiring cook in me, great stuff.

Just started watching London Spy. It's a 5-part murder mystery/thriller. Very good so far; great acting & a riveting story with lots of twists and turns.

Ozark is what network tv wants to be when it grows up.

+1 on London Spy. Just finished watching Shetland - also a police murder/mystery

Currently watching The Keepers. I'm half way in and it's interesting........

https://www.netflix.com/title/80122179

I just pulled up the cast and Peter Mullan was listed. I saw him as a lead actor in Hector and now I seem to see him everywhere. (He was on Ozark too. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was actually from the south. He is an excellent actor.)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Fans of OITNB and other prison shows may find Wentworth interesting. All 5 Seasons are available on Netflix. It is Aussie made and imo far superior to OITNB in terms of plot, acting and character development. Season 6 is in the pipeline, can't wait!

Peaky Blinders is a fun watch about Irish mafia around turn of century. DH and me addicted to it and watched 3 episodes at a time. BBC is airing 4th season soon.

Also, Vikings, from History channel without the commercials is addictive.

Sherlock (TV Series 2010– ) Awesome show! I would say my favorite on Netflix.

Halt and Catch Fire - (second favorite) A drama that follows a computer prodigy, a visionary, and engineers through startups and failures. The show begins in the 1980's and progresses, so far to the 1990s, from BBS's to the World Wide Web. Full of nostalgia for anyone who followed tech throughout this period.

Arrested Development - My favorite comedy.

Parks and Rec (may no longer be on Netflix, may be on Hulu)

Sherlock (TV Series 2010– ) Awesome show! I would say my favorite on Netflix.

This was the PBS series, excellent. Just saw it is also on Amazon. But then I'm also a fan of CBS' Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom