Netflix movie or show suggestion

For those who like obstacle course challenges, Netflix has "Ultimate Beastmaster", which is similar to American Ninja Warrior. There is 1 winner each episode and the finale pits all the winners against each other.

Is there anything good that's NOT violent and dark? Seems like all the "highly-acclaimed" dramas are all about blood and gore, even if it's not graphic it's sometimes bad enough just hearing descriptions of the crimes.

If you favor BBC and other British fare, then most of the nature shows such as Planet Earth, or anything with David Attenborough should fit. Detectorists. The Crown. Crime shows without blood and gore are Foyle's War and Death in Paradise.

Is there anything good that's NOT violent and dark? Seems like all the "highly-acclaimed" dramas are all about blood and gore, even if it's not graphic it's sometimes bad enough just hearing descriptions of the crimes.

The Crown on Netflix is fantastic.

Just finished Peaky Blinders season 4, I like it.

Me too. I finished binging on it last week. Thinking maybe the last plot twist might be a bit too much. Politician? hmmmm. As my mother said when I asked for $20...we'll see.

Watching The Crown now. Very good. Was not expecting it to be this good. Of course we all know how it ends..Prince Charles never gets his place in the sun as QE II lives forever....

I've got Godless in the que. And Comedians getting coffee

Mindhunter and Manhunt, fascinating! Manhunt FBI agent did NPR interview, said the series was close to reality. They had FBI agent interview Ted K. in series, but did not happen. The questions and subject matter of the interview were exactly right. The forensic linguistics part of the capture is amazing and proves truth is stranger than fiction!

Me too. I finished binging on it last week. Thinking maybe the last plot twist might be a bit too much. Politician? hmmmm. As my mother said when I asked for $20...we'll see.

Yeah... spoilers suck for other people.... :mad:

I just finished the first season of Last Chance U. It follows the East Mississippi Community College football team in Scooba, Mississippi. The team is a Community College powerhouse and has been for several years. The head coach is volatile, his players are volatile and are not exactly student athletes. The real hero of the documentary is the woman who has the job of getting the players to go to class, to stay in school, and to hopefully have a plan B if football doesn't work out. She's a gem. I enjoyed the first season. It helps if you like football and are not offended by constant swearing (which is not gratuitous).

I"m almost done binge watching the Electric Dreams anthology

Started Electric Dreams yesterday, pretty good. Much better than Black Mirror.

I've only seen Episode 9: The Commuter, with Timothy Spall and it was fantastic. Are the rest as good ?

that's about the only one i haven't seen! the others i've seen are great

Just saw Phantom Thread on the Big Screen. I liked it for its general cinematic features. It had a grainy, old analog look and sound. The plot was somewhat bizarre, but believable if you can believe people this strange can exist, and I'm sure they do. Daniel Day-Lewis was great, and spot-on as the strange main character.

I just finished watching "The end of the f *** ing world". I found it very funny and you can binge watch it in one night. The episodes are 20 minutes.

Watching “Altered Carbon”, a dystopian SciFi series. Only a few episodes in but, so far it’s excellent. The protagonist is played by Joel Kinnaman (“The Killing”), who I like, and he’s doing a great job. Recommended if you’re into good SciFi.

Watching “Altered Carbon”, a dystopian SciFi series. Only a few episodes in but, so far it’s excellent. The protagonist is played by Joel Kinnaman (“The Killing”), who I like, and he’s doing a great job. Recommended if you’re into good SciFi.

We will agree to disagree. I've read the books and find the series mediocre.
Pretty to look at for sure.

But I find some of the acting subpar and the audio is terrible. Can't tell what half of them are saying sometimes. I'd give it a 5/10.

I just finished the first season of Last Chance U. It follows the East Mississippi Community College football team in Scooba, Mississippi. The team is a Community College powerhouse and has been for several years. The head coach is volatile, his players are volatile and are not exactly student athletes. The real hero of the documentary is the woman who has the job of getting the players to go to class, to stay in school, and to hopefully have a plan B if football doesn't work out. She's a gem. I enjoyed the first season. It helps if you like football and are not offended by constant swearing (which is not gratuitous).

She lived across the street from me last year. Scooba is 20 miles north of my subdivision. Met her at a neighborhood party and was impressed. An outgoing and bright person. She took another job and moved to another area. Btw, EMCC won another national championship this past season. Not followed by Netflix however as they filmed another junior college.

We will agree to disagree. I've read the books and find the series mediocre.
Pretty to look at for sure.

I found the same true for Longmire as the seasons progressed. It started by being at least somewhat close to some of the story lines, but they moved more and more away from things, until it all became the same story about the same people told over and over and over and over again.

In particular, I think Henry Standing Bear was very poorly done compared to the books. And his daughter, in the books, was 'the world's greatest legal mind' instead of some gal who was all looks and not much common sense. Don't get me started on what they did to the fiery Italian-American deputy - Ms. Morretti.

I still read the Longmire stories. They are so so so very much better than the TV show.

To get back on topic, I recommend No Tomorrow for a light fun show with a lot of interesting characters. It's candy for viewer tired of dark, brooding shows.

Also, fun is the animated Troll Hunter. Again, just entertainment but with enough nods to adult humor to make watching it fun.

it all became the same story about the same people told over and over and over and over again.

It's long been my suspicion, (although I have no way of knowing), that the producers always try to reduce costs, and since the actors are front and centre the cutbacks hit the writers.

Either that or, as with so many books, the writers have a couple good ideas and then dry up.

Just watched '99 Homes' about the 2008-2009 real estate debacle. It shows the corruption and greed than existed at ground level among the unscrupulous ****bags who took advantage of the (stupid and/or unprincipled, but not ****bags) poor folks who got evicted from their homes. The plot is that an evicted blue collar guy ends up being offered a job by the ****bag realtor/house flipper/financier who evicted him. Blue collar guy justifies working for the ****bag because jobs are hard to find, and he has to pay the rent in the local motel he must now live in, with his family. OK, but soon he goes over to the dark side, and is stealing the appliances and air conditioners, etc from the foreclosed homes (and his ****bag boss likes the idea), filing claims with the govt for the losses, but keeping the appliances and reusing them in the same homes later and charging the govt for them, or the new buyer, or both. Lots of sleazy money to be had all around. Backdated, forged documents, too! The acting is OK. Laura Dern is in it, and I'm a fan of hers. But I liked it mostly for its exposing of the just unending, and largely unpunished fraud of that time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom