Netflix movie or show suggestion

If you like English detective mysteries then you may like the series Vera, set close to my neck of the woods, Northumberland coast, NE England. Each episode is about 90 minutes and is complete in itself, and features a homicide detective, Vera, and her team.

Just started watching Vera--it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, Alan.

Is there a better actress than Brenda Blethyn?

Also really enjoy Endeavour. Can't wait for next season.

Just started watching Vera--it's great. Thanks for the recommendation, Alan.

Is there a better actress than Brenda Blethyn?

Also really enjoy Endeavour. Can't wait for next season.

Pleased to hear that you liked it. Maybe if enough people watch it Netflix will put up some more episodes.

Ditto on Endeavour, I think they've done an excellent job in keeping the Morse detective stories going.

In the UK this year I watched n excellent series called The Fall, set in Northern Ireland starring Gillian Anderson as an inspector from the London Met on assignment to Belfast who gets involved investigating a serial killer.

I see that it is now available on Netflix. I think it consists of 6 parts and I'm going to watch it again, even though I saw it recently. (Having a lousy memory increases the amount of programs I want to watch enormously)

oh yeah, The Fall was fantastic. I'll watch it again in a few months.

And I just checked--Amazon Prime has season 2 of Vera for free. Like you mentioned, Netflix only has season 1.

I love that Amazon and Netflix are in competition for streaming video content. Good news for us consumers! ;)

For British detective show fans, Netflix now has some of the Inspector Morse series. The combination of Netflix and Amazon is nice...Amazon has all of the Inspector Lewis series, a worthy follow-on to Inspector Morse.

For British detective show fans, Netflix now has some of the Inspector Morse series. The combination of Netflix and Amazon is nice...Amazon has all of the Inspector Lewis series, a worthy follow-on to Inspector Morse.

Great to hear that Amazon and Netflix are in competition like this. Just looked for Inspector Lewis on Netflix and it only has series 4 and 5.

Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty. Obviously YMMV.

Speaking of British TV series, if you liked House of Cards (the US version) go to Netflix and check out the original BBC House of Cards from 1990, on which the US production is based. Personally I prefer the BBC series, which is faster moving and more witty. Obviously YMMV.

That's a big plus one.

I'm in the middle of watching the British version now. Diabolical!

That's a big plus one.

I'm in the middle of watching the British version now. Diabolical!

Some might say that, I couldn't possibly comment :)

Not available on streaming but looks like it will be available on Netflix DVD is the sequel to House of Cards, "To Play The King". Francis Urquhart returns, and Michael Kitchen (Inspector Foyle) plays the newly crowned King of England. (He does a great Prince Charles impression)

Some might say that, I couldn't possibly comment :)

Not available on streaming but looks like it will be available on Netflix DVD is the sequel to House of Cards, "To Play The King". Francis Urquhart returns, and Michael Kitchen (Inspector Foyle) plays the newly crowned King of England. (He does a great Prince Charles impression)

I completely agree. "To Play the King" was excellent and Michael Kitchen was uncanny as a Prince Charles type character. The third series, "The Final Cut" is also excellent. I saw all three of them on the BBC iPlayer, before I had Netflix.

If you liked this and the acting of Ian Richardson, you might like the BBC version from 1980 "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" a 3 disc series. Really great acting with Alec Guinness in the lead roll.

If you liked this and the acting of Ian Richardson, you might like the BBC version from 1980 "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" a 3 disc series. Really great acting with Alec Guinness in the lead roll.

Thanks for the recommendation. I remember watching some of this on TV when it first came out in 1979, and at that time it didn't spark my interest. Of course that was 34 years and one career ago......

Meanwhile I am into Breaking Bad. I rarely watch crime drama and never thought I could get into a gritty drama about drugs, but this is awesome. It's like a big Shakespearian tragedy with major shocks, a feeling of inevitability and some lighthearted moments. Aaron Paul is so authentic as Jesse Pinkman that I hope it does not reflect his personal life experiences.

There is some awesome entertainment out there for sure, and it's wonderful that it's now so accessible!

Thank goodness for BBC. With the exception of a few good shows, the British have it all over US TV shows. All my favorite actors are British (except for Kevin Spacy)

I don't recall if it has been mentioned, but I love LOUIE, with Lewis C.K.
He writes, directs, produces, acts and edits the show. I love the episode that involved the problem of parents being able to buy that year's hot toy at Christmas for their kid, when the stores run out. He does a bit involving this doll he bought and messed up that had my sides hurting from laughing so hard. Netflix has it for streaming. I think it was the next to last episode.

On another note, anyone sensitive to comic sexual talking points, might want to avoid.

Just watched another documentary on Netflix streaming last night called
Client #9. It is about the rise and fall of Elliot Spitzer. It is long - about 2 hours, but found the political message quite interesting. Makes you shudder at the power behind big business and even our government sometimes.

My interest in the film was not so much his messing around with hookers, but the other factors that came in place when he went after the big guys on Wall Street and AIG. (a good thing) Also his confrontational manner in dealing with advisories (a bad thing). Always leaves me thinking though. Was his aggressiveness to bring the bad guys down truly altruistic, or to make a name for himself and further his career? I would like to think that it was the former, but I suspect it was a combination of both. If any lessons were to be learned by him in the end, it was that you really can't fight money today, and come out on top. So to me, the film left me a little sad and disheartened. I still would like to believe in David and Goliath. Anyone see it?

Here is an 'anti-suggestion':

"Attack on Wall Street." New movie, 2013, with a lame plot about evils of Wall Street and Capitalism. Don't bother. I seriously overpaid, and it was free.

Here is an 'anti-suggestion':

"Attack on Wall Street." New movie, 2013, with a lame plot about evils of Wall Street and Capitalism. Don't bother. I seriously overpaid, and it was free.

:LOL:

Thanks for the tip.

The Good Sheppard on DVD:
This partially fact-based drama examines the early history of the CIA through the eyes of upstanding, sharp-minded agent Edward Wilson, who finds the job starting to erode his ideals, filling him with distrust and destroying his personal life.
It's longish and slow moving but we liked it a lot. Definitely the antithesis of a James Bond movie. Based very loosely on James Angelton (I think) who worked at the CIA and was nicknamed "Mother". Lead character is Matt Damon, great in this part.

Also it moves between the 1960's and the 1930-1940 era. You have to watch for the transitions.

Just watched the 1st of 3 parts of a murder mystery called the Bletchley Circle set in England in 1952.

This last year we've read articles of the very intelligent women who were code breakers and analysts working at Bletchley Park during WW II. Having signed the official secrets act these women returned to everyday life after the war and were unable to tell even their husbands about the nature of their work, let alone any details, most carrying the story of their secret lives to the grave.

This fictional story is about a group of such women who get together to find and stop a serial killer who is murdering women and evading the police.

The Bletchley Circle is excellent and has been renewed for a second season. My DVR is ready whenever it starts up again.

Hmmmm, we'll have to check up on the Bletchley Circle show. We just watched two movies this evening for the first time in a while. The first one we quite liked (R.I.P.D)....quirky which we like. The second (Pacific Rim) we could have taken a pass on.....and I like SciFi. Although with the real clunkers I quite often pick out....neither was a stinker for us.

DH and I have been watching a few episodes of "Kingdom" each evening. Pretty good British series.

I watched a documentary called "In search of Beethoven". Once again I am reminded of the genius of Beethoven and how radical his music was at the time. It's over 2 hours long and there are many interviews with, and pieces played by, concert musicians. The close ups of their hands, expressions and instruments add intensity. I recommend this for classical music fans.

Rita, if you like Kingdom, you may also enjoy Doc Martin. Both have plenty of quirky characters.

+1 to both, Stephen Fry in Kingdom and Martin Clunes in Doc Martin are both excellent.

I watched the original House of Cards (British version) over the last week. Evilly good.

Back
Top Bottom