Join Early Retirement Today

Knock Down The House
Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #1301
Full time employment: Posting here.

Knock Down The House

Watched "Knock Down The House" on Netflix last evening. A documentary about four women who decided to take on the political establishment prove that modern grassroots movements have an impact, whether an election is won or not. My favorite line in the film was, "For one of us to make it through, 100 of us have to try."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the primary focus of the film and is quite inspirational regardless of your political persuasion.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #1302
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
Watched "Knock Down The House" on Netflix last evening. A documentary about four women who decided to take on the political establishment prove that modern grassroots movements have an impact, whether an election is won or not. My favorite line in the film was, "For one of us to make it through, 100 of us have to try."

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the primary focus of the film and is quite inspirational regardless of your political persuasion.
I watched it last night too. AOC stood up to some big time pressure. I liked that they showed her as a bartender/waitress and her day to day life with her family. Her poll #s were down, but she kept fighting. A great example for all women.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #1303
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I might have to give The Office a try. I've never seen the British original or the American version. I suspect I would enjoy the British original more.
Funny, I didn't watch The Office AT ALL until a few months ago...but have been enjoying it immensely. When we finish the US version, we will give the UK version a try.

And just 6 episodes to the 1st season of "After Life"? That's darn shame!

We have also been enjoying "Kim's Convenience" and "Grand Designs".
John and Yoko:Above Us Only Sky
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #1304
Full time employment: Posting here.

John and Yoko:Above Us Only Sky

We watched "Above US Only Sky" on Netflix last evening, a A&E documentary highlighting the love affair between John and Yoko and the making of "Imagine". It is a must-see for rock fans. In the past I didn't care for Yoko much and always thought she was partially responsible for the breakup of the Beetles. Over the years I have grown to like and appreciate her influence over John Lennon and the movie further demonstrates her huge influence over my favorite Beetle! Great Movie!
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Rolling Thunder Revue
Old 06-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #1305
Give me a forum ...

Rolling Thunder Revue

A blast from the past on Netflix:
https://time.com/5605892/review-roll...rtin-scorsese/

Martin Scorsese’s Bob Dylan Film Rolling Thunder Revue Is One of the Most Truthful Movies You’ll See in 2019
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #1306

"Drive to Survive" (Spoiler Alert: it's on Netflix streaming).

I like sports, but not motor sports so much. So, surprisingly to me, I binged-watched the last three episodes. While the racing scenes were great, the backstories of the drivers and the teams were remarkable. New respect for people involved with Formula One. The drivers give a whole new meaning to the word "competitive." I know someone who was featured in the show, so maybe that made it a bit more interesting to me. Next time I'm invited, I guess I'll attend. (I'm afraid that I'd get lost in/on the infield. (If that's where they would put me).

OK. probably enough about me, but I highly recommend the first season of the show (which seems to be like a very-well done unscripted reality show). I didn't get the idea that the drama in the show was manufactured for TV by a Hollywood script-writer.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #1307
Give me a forum ...

We are currently on Netflix streaming + DVD.

We've enjoyed "Counterpart" on DVD and I'm not usually attracted to sci-fi. It's a series and we watched the first disc. It's sci-fi oriented with kind of a bit of oddities thrown in. For instance, the time is the present I think but the computers screens look kind of old fashioned.

A link here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpart_(TV_series)

Quote:
Howard Silk has been working for a Berlin-based United Nations agency, Office of Interchange (OI), for thirty years; however, his rank is too low for him to be told what his work really involves. In fact, OI oversees a crossing point to a parallel Earth (the "Prime world"), a copy of Silk's world.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #1308

Quote:
We watched "Above US Only Sky" on Netflix last evening, a A&E documentary highlighting the love affair between John and Yoko and the making of "Imagine". It is a must-see for rock fans. In the past I didn't care for Yoko much and always thought she was partially responsible for the breakup of the Beetles. Over the years I have grown to like and appreciate her influence over John Lennon and the movie further demonstrates her huge influence over my favorite Beetle! Great Movie!
I'll watch that. It will be a good follow up to the movie "Yesterday" out in theaters now. There's a chilling scene involving John Lennon, gave me goosebumps and I will say no more.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #1309
Recycles dryer sheets

The second season of Dark just came out on Netflix on 6/21/19. It’s a German show that has components of time travel and mystery as it follows three generations of families in a small town. Although it can be confusing at first, the storylines are really well-written and tightly interwoven. IMO it’s one of the very best shows I have ever seen, kind of a cross between all the best elements of X Files, Lost, and Stranger Things.

The creators had outlined the whole story before filming the first season, so there are many callbacks and visual cues that you notice on a second viewing. There will be one more season, released next summer.
Zona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #1310

Quote:
Yoko was primarily responsible for the words of "Image!!" John sheepishly admits this! And she, at the end, believes the purpose of their relationship is the making of "Imagine." Stunning. There's much more in this documentary so I didn't ruin it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
NetFlix
Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #1311
Dryer sheet wannabe

NetFlix

I just watched Bad Blood on Netflix. 2 seasons. Waiting to see if there is a 3rd season. It’s about the Canadian Mafia. Good acting.
JohnnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #1312

Just got an email, Stranger Things season 3 is now on Netflix.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Just got an email, Stranger Things season 3 is now on Netflix.
It dropped yesterday, 8 episodes, we are on episode 5 tonight.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #1314
Dryer sheet aficionado

Saying there is a scene with JL in yesterday is saying way too much.
The Beatles were always gonna break up. And Mark David Chapman tragically imposed finality.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Netflix movie or show suggestion
Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #1315
Give me a forum ...

Netflix movie or show suggestion

I watched Mank today and really enjoyed it. It centers on the people involved in the making of the film Citizen Kane. It’s a B&W period movie that seemed pretty accurate. There are a number of scenes set in the amazing Hearst Castle (San Simeon), although I don’t know if they were actually shot on location.

It helps a lot if you already have some background in the principals (Orson Welles, William Randolph Hearst).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #1316
Give me a forum ...

Just loving Babylon Berlin - amazing!

1929 Weimar Republicans.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #1317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Just loving Babylon Berlin - amazing!

1929 Weimar Republicans.
That is one of my favorites too! The music is haunting.

A warning of what can happen when extremists get control.

Hopefully we will not see something awful emerge from the pandemic issues in other countries. There are always worries.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #1318
Give me a forum ...

Haha that was supposed to be Weimar Republic! But the spelling changers hit unnoticed!
Old 05-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #1319

I watched the movie State of Play tonight (the 2009 movie, not the 2003 Brit series).

It was well done and kept me guessing, which I enjoy.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #1320
Give me a forum ...

First season of "Cobra Kai" was fun. Second season went steadily downhill, with a lot of pointless brutality among kids where, for some reason, the cops are never called, as they certainly would be in real life. We're not bothering with Season 3.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote