New 24" iMac

Cannot see a reason for the combined Mac'n'Screen - cool idea for 2000, but I have found peace and happiness in our MacBook Pro laptops - and curved 35" Sceptre screens.

Best of all worlds - plenty fast, have HD backup drive, 1TB of internal SSD memory, transportability and quick disconnect.

Cannot see a reason for the combined Mac'n'Screen - cool idea for 2000, but I have found peace and happiness in our MacBook Pro laptops - and curved 35" Sceptre screens.

Best of all worlds - plenty fast, have HD backup drive, 1TB of internal SSD memory, transportability and quick disconnect.

We have always gone with MacBook Pros but with the recent change from Intel to Apple chips, things have changed. A low end MacBook Air with an Apple M1 chip outperforms the top of the line MacBook Pro 16” laptop that sells for more than twice the price. Eventually they will update the 16” MacBook Pro with Apple chips and things will balance out.

But for our next computer we wanted a larger screen than 16”. I have not researched monitors for a while so things may have changed, but the last time I looked at monitors for Macs they could not display true 4K resolution like the IMacs, with the exception of the very expensive LG monitors that Apple sells. If that has changed, it may be time for me to buy a monitor for my MacBook Air.

If you need transportability and price isn’t a consideration then by all means. But you can’t buy a M1 MacBook Pro and a 35” (or even 24”) monitor for anywhere near the cost of a 24” M1 iMac - to use on apples to apples comparison. If I’m at home with a monitor, why would I ever use a 13”-16” laptop screen?

For us an iPad and an iMac is a much better solution than a MacBook Pro and a big external monitor. Or now that you can buy an M1 iPad, you could use AirPlay to project the iPad to a 75” TV if you want to, and skip the dedicated monitor. “Best of all worlds?”

Last edited:
It may not look as cool, but the Mac mini seems to have about the same specs as the new iMac and you can get whatever monitor you want.

It may not look as cool, but the Mac mini seems to have about the same specs as the new iMac and you can get whatever monitor you want.

For some of us that would be an excellent idea. The mini even supports two monitors if you want.

For some of us that would be an excellent idea. The mini even supports two monitors if you want.

You could if you’re willing to settle for lesser displays as many/some will be. But an M1 Mac Mini, with an equivalent 4.5K 24” monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers will cost you (way) more than the M1 iMac with comparable RAM, SSD, etc. And the iMac will support a second monitor. FWIW.

Last edited:
We really like having the iMac with the computer built into the monitor and just keyboard and trackpad or mouse needed in addition. Very space efficient.

We both have the 5K monitors which are just a dream for photo or video editing. I inherited DH’s first one.

They are several years old now.

The new IMac has a 4.5K display, so almost as good as the 27” IMac 5K display. Once you get used to a display with such a high resolution, third party monitors look blurry. If you have never used a true 4K+ display you may not notice, but there is a big difference. That is why the new IMac with the 4.5K display starting at $1299 is such a good deal.

Are there other reasons for wanting something larger than 24", other than the need to do video/photo editing or having multiple screens open? While I am curious how the 27" replacement will spec and price out, I am just not sure why I would need that bigger monitor other than maybe watching movies.

Are there other reasons for wanting something larger than 24", other than the need to do video/photo editing or having multiple screens open? While I am curious how the 27" replacement will spec and price out, I am just not sure why I would need that bigger monitor other than maybe watching movies.
In addition to video/photo editing as you mention, if you want to watch video/streaming TV you might want it bigger. Or if you often work with multiple windows open, a larger monitor would make them all more readable. All the online rumors I’ve seen say the new bigger iMac will be 30-32.” We have an old 32” TV and there’s no way I want a desktop computer with a screen that large (if you have something similar around or cut out a piece of cardboard 20” x 28” and see if you want that size - about what a 32” monitor would be). The bigger iMac will be (quite a bit) more expensive with a bigger faster M1X/M2 CPU/GPU and more RAM and the larger display - I didn’t need faster or bigger so I ordered a loaded M1 iMac.

We don’t use our 5K iMacs to watch movies/shows. We have a much larger wall mounted OLED TV for that, with appropriate audio system and seating.

I occasionally watch something on an iPad.

I replaced a 2012 mac mini with a M1 Mini a few months ago. It works ok except for one problem. The monitor won't sync up until you get to point where you login. So if there were any errors on boot up you would see them unless you logged in and looked at log files. The same monitor works fine with the old mac mini.
Apple knows about the problem and hints it may be fixed some day in the future.
But they have stopped replying to my status requests on the problem.
I have had it a few months and haven't decided if I going to return it.
Or I could buy a new monitor and that might fix it too or just continue to use it as is.

I have not researched monitors for a while so things may have changed, but the last time I looked at monitors for Macs they could not display true 4K resolution like the IMacs, with the exception of the very expensive LG monitors that Apple sells. If that has changed, it may be time for me to buy a monitor for my MacBook Air.

A couple of years ago I bought a 32” LG 4K HDR monitor to go with my 13” 2018 MacBook Pro. Been quite happy with it. You can use it to charge the computer if connected with USB-C, though I use a CalDigit dock for that and connect from there to the monitor with DisplayPort.

I’m definitely intrigued by the new iMac, but the things that give me pause are the software I’d need to buy and figure out how to use like Turbo Tax and Office (Excel and Word). I’m also curious if it has a fan. My current PC is fanless. Lastly, my current PC works fine, even though it is old. Even though I drool a bit when I read about the new iMac and the high resolution monitor, it’s just a bit hard to spend the dough given that my current system is working just fine. Maybe next year.

I’m definitely intrigued by the new iMac, but the things that give me pause are the software I’d need to buy and figure out how to use like Turbo Tax and Office (Excel and Word). I’m also curious if it has a fan. My current PC is fanless. Lastly, my current PC works fine, even though it is old. Even though I drool a bit when I read about the new iMac and the high resolution monitor, it’s just a bit hard to spend the dough given that my current system is working just fine. Maybe next year.
TurboTax should look exactly the same on an iMac, and Excel and Word will too for 95% of users - and all your PC TT, XLS and DOC files will transfer over. The M1 SOC runs a lot cooler than any Intel or AMD chip and Apple has put it in several devices without fans. However the M1 iMac has two fans which won’t come on often unless you’re a serious power user. [the $1299 base model has only 1 fan]. My PC is from 2013 so it’s easier for me to make the jump, I’m tired of Windows and anxious to get into Apples superior privacy ecosystem. Years of using iPads and iPhones have convinced us.

Last edited:
TurboTax should look exactly the same on an iMac, and Excel and Word will too for 95% of users - and all your PC TT, XLS and DOC files will transfer over. The M1 SOC runs a lot cooler than any Intel or AMD chip and Apple has put it in several devices without fans. However the M1 iMac has two fans which won’t come on often unless you’re a serious power user. [the $1299 base model has only 1 fan]. My PC is from 2013 so it’s easier for me to make the jump, I’m tired of Windows and anxious to get into Apples superior privacy ecosystem. Years of using iPads and iPhones have convinced us.

Thanks. I’ll be looking for an update on the fans and the fan noise. For the price of the base unit, I’d be willing to take the chance, but I’m likely to go to the higher end with at least the 1TB ssd. For that money (>$2,000), I’d want to know that the fans don’t come on often. Not at all would be better - especially if I’m just surfing. Also concerning when watching videos, however with AirPod Pro’s in, that may not be a real issue.

Thanks. I’ll be looking for an update on the fans and the fan noise. For the price of the base unit, I’d be willing to take the chance, but I’m likely to go to the higher end with at least the 1TB ssd. For that money (>$2,000), I’d want to know that the fans don’t come on often. Not at all would be better - especially if I’m just surfing. Also concerning when watching videos, however with AirPod Pro’s in, that may not be a real issue.
The M1 iMac fans are discussed in many of the recent reviews, but I’d have to search to find them (and the fan specific discussions) again. The M1 SOC runs much cooler than any Intel or AMD chip, so the iMac fans are much smaller, quieter and they won’t even run if you’re just surfing, reading emails, or even general apps. They’ll come on if your editing 8K videos, gaming or the like. The new M1 MacBook Air (and M1 iPad Pro) don’t even have cooling fans because they’re rarely needed. Has there been an Intel or AMD laptop without a cooling fan? The reviewers noted the fans didn’t come on often, they had to deliberately push the CPU to get the fans to come on so they could hear them…

I’m also getting a 1TB iMac though I could easily get by with 512GB (and add an external SSD if/when needed). But I’m getting 1TB to future proof - and this iMac can NOT be upgraded after the fact, even less than previous gens. Though I could have upgraded any of the PCs I’ve had in the past 30 years, fact is I never did. YMMV
Even though the fan has been removed, MacBook Air M1 does not get hot easily. With multiple tabs opened in the browser and numerous apps being used simultaneously, the device did not get hot to a great extent. The M1 chip is too powerful to keep the device cool even if it is used heavily.

So, it is very clear that there is no need for the fan. The powerful chip is enough to keep it cool. Other than this, the M1 chip is also being used to increase the efficiency and speed of the MacBook Air M1.

Last edited:
I tend to believe anything pushing a lot of processing should have a fan - at least as a backup - low cost, etc.

But, if the trend is towards thinner and thinner cases - especially if that case holds both a monitor and a processing system - then heat is increasingly a concern ... so, thinner and thinner fans ... or, marketing, perhaps, to convince they are no longer necessary? (remember the days when processing centers were extremely cold to ensure the systems didn’t overheat - pretty terrible solution, by today’s standards, but it did work)

My wife’s 2013 MacBookPro, to me, is far superior to my 2017 MacBookPro - in every way, except ... it isn’t as thin and, it weighs a bit more. In normal usage, it is as fast, its keyboard is better, and it is less likely to have the fans come on. It cost about the same in relative dollars.

A final BTW - I’ve used military procured MSDOS systems and Windows systems, special group procured NeXT systems, Macs from the original to the current ... various software, corporate Windows and special systems ... and, the Mac wins everything, to me, except the cost factor - and, I wave that away by noting it is higher quality, integrates with my other home systems, and is far easier to use. Far easier to use. Nothing is perfect, though.

What I want is. Mac touchpad, integrated into a Mac keyboard that is the same form as the one on the MacBook ... I am very accustomed to that form and usage, and cannot get used to the separate, or even connected on the end touchpad.

I tend to believe anything pushing a lot of processing should have a fan - at least as a backup - low cost, etc.
I’ve watched dozens of videos, that included thermal throttling and fan cooling discussed, and they all say the M1 thermals are orders of magnitude lower than any Intel or AMD chip, while outperforming most of them on Geekbench performance benchmarks. It appears the M1 is truly nothing like what we’re all used to from desktop/laptop chips. I’d encourage you to watch some of the reviews, but here’s some data:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/28/m1-mac-mini-power-consumption/

Apple Mac mini M1 power consumption is 3 times lower than Intel model
https://www.techspot.com/news/88482-apple-mac-mini-m1-power-consumption-3-times.html

Attachments

• BA3219A2-51C7-4A3D-B997-F211603E1C7F.jpg
    BA3219A2-51C7-4A3D-B997-F211603E1C7F.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom