Join Early Retirement Today

New 24" iMac
Old 06-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
gone traveling

New 24" iMac

Anyone ordered a new iMac yet? I am really considering it, as my 2013 iMac has too many ram issues and slow startups. I suppose I could crack the case open and upgrade the ram, but considering it's about 8 years old, not sure it would be worth it. Also, I keep hearing about chip shortages and not sure whether that might impact Apple at some point in the future if I delay buying.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #2

Here's a good summary that might help you decide what to get.

Should You Buy the iMac?
Old 06-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

memory slots don't require cracking the case.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I ordered one. Really looking forward to it after 38 years with WinPCs, but my iMac delivery is 5-6 weeks out…

I’ve read every article and watched every video I could find - you can find whatever conclusion you’d like, wildly positive, decidedly negative and anything in between - like almost everything on the internet…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you can live with a 24" monitor go for it. Personally, I'd wait for the 27" version to arrive later this year.

I have the 27" intel iMac and could never go to something smaller. And get the largest ssd you can afford. Mine boots in less than 10 seconds.

Aftermarket RAM upgrades are always less expensive (especially with Apple). Currently only the 27" version has RAM access through a panel. I don't know about the newer generation though.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
AFAIK my iMac cannot be easily opened without prying the screen apart to access the memory slots.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's a good summary that might help you decide what to get.

Should You Buy the iMac?
That was a good summary, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
If you can live with a 24" monitor go for it. Personally, I'd wait for the 27" version to arrive later this year.

I have the 27" intel iMac and could never go to something smaller. And get the largest ssd you can afford. Mine boots in less than 10 seconds.

Aftermarket RAM upgrades are always less expensive (especially with Apple). Currently only the 27" version has RAM access through a panel. I don't know about the newer generation though.

_B
I am not sure whether I would appreciate having the larger screen size or not. Plus it will be more $s, although that is not really a concern. The 24" is already a bit larger than my 21.5" iMac and has a much sharper display, so I suspect it would be an enjoyable upgrade configuring it with more ram and an SSD.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2013 iMac with similar issues to OP. I shelved it and now use my 2018 MacBook Pro (16gb ram) with a 32" dell external monitor.

I really like the big monitor and don't think I could go back to a smaller monitor. But the MacBook Pro is a little sluggish in photo editing software - sometimes running multiple photo editing apps simultaneously.

My experience tells me that next time I Buy I need to put a lot of ram in it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Rumors are that the larger iMac may have a 30-inch screen.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

27” would be fine with me. I’ll be interested in the memory options.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I ordered one. Really looking forward to it after 38 years with WinPCs, but my iMac delivery is 5-6 weeks out…

I’ve read every article and watched every video I could find - you can find whatever conclusion you’d like, wildly positive, decidedly negative and anything in between - like almost everything on the internet…
You will not regret it. I made the switch just before ER in 2017 and only regret not doing it sooner (both Mac and ER). There's a couple of things to get used to, like clicking on the upper left corner of a window to close it instead of the upper right (but that's what it was once upon a time with Win 3.1 if I recall correctly), and the fact that the menu bar stays put at the very top of the screen regardless of where the active window is, but it didn't take me long. And I don't reboot the machine every night - I don't recall the last time I had to reboot.

I have to admit I'm not super-fond of the keyboard and I miss having a delete key. There's one labeled "delete" but it's really a backspace key. I should get a different keyboard, I suppose.

[edit to add] I think I need to order the "magic keyboard with numeric keypad."
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #12

One of the reasons I’d be interested in an iMac is that it would sync with my phone, similar to my iPad. I wonder if anyone knows, does the iMac have a mechanism to separate the machine so that me and my wife can both link/sync or phones to the desktop? I’m thinking each person could log in and see the machine as their own, sync’d and all. Is that possible?

Also, put me in the camp of waiting for a larger screen. A 30” screen would be sweet.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I have to admit I'm not super-fond of the keyboard and I miss having a delete key. There's one labeled "delete" but it's really a backspace key.
The Mac "delete" key is a "delete" key. The difference between the delete keys on the Mac and Windows is that the Mac deletes the character to the left of the cursor and IIRC, Windows computer delete keys delete the character to the right of the cursor.

It is a pain to get used to.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
One of the reasons I’d be interested in an iMac is that it would sync with my phone, similar to my iPad. I wonder if anyone knows, does the iMac have a mechanism to separate the machine so that me and my wife can both link/sync or phones to the desktop? I’m thinking each person could log in and see the machine as their own, sync’d and all. Is that possible?

Also, put me in the camp of waiting for a larger screen. A 30” screen would be sweet.
There are few reasons to sync with a Mac any more.

For instance, you have some music or video files that you have on your computer that you want to load on your iPhone or iPad.

Another reason to sync would be if you want to back up your iPhone or iPad to your Mac rather than to iCloud, because of security or privacy concerns.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:19 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
All the YT experts are saying the new larger iMac will be 30-32”, none of them expect 27”. Some of the rumors have said 32”, as well as 30.” I like large monitors but 32” is overkill for me. The larger iMac (M1X-M1Z-M2?) is supposed to have more CPU and GPU cores and 2-4X the RAM compared to the iMac 24” M1 SOC.

The iMac 24” is not RAM upgradable. And you pay about double for on board SSD, where you can always plug in external SSD and/or use cloud space - I’d want one or the other for backup anyway. It’s true the Apple on board SSD is lightning fast, but there are lower priced aftermarket plug in SSD drives just as fast (OWC Envoy Pro EX $300 1TB). Not that anyone cares, I got mine configured with 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (might change to 1TB), Magic Mouse & Trackpad and the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
AFAIK my iMac cannot be easily opened without prying the screen apart to access the memory slots.
Sorry. I see you mentioned your model later. Of course there are three models for 2013, and you can check this page for what to expect for a particular model:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/i...inum-2012.html

As you can tell Apple has made this very easy. /s

It's good to know that Apple has changed their engineering ways and made new models easily upgradeable by the consumer.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes, you can have multiple users on a Mac, each with their own files.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:30 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, you can have multiple users on a Mac, each with their own files.
Yes. I like it because the syncing doesn't require user interraction. The files are just there on both devices. Numbers, Pages, etc - apps have the same files present on Mac and phone/iPad. And there is a "Files" folder that has subfolders - documents, desktop, downloads. I'm fairly certain that these may need to be set up as iCloud folders to work across devices.

And on the computer you just need to log out of one user and log in as another to get that person's files.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yes. I like it because the syncing doesn't require user interraction. The files are just there on both devices. Numbers, Pages, etc - apps have the same files present on Mac and phone/iPad. And there is a "Files" folder that has subfolders - documents, desktop, downloads. I'm fairly certain that these may need to be set up as iCloud folders to work across devices.

And on the computer you just need to log out of one user and log in as another to get that person's files.
In the case of the new iMac, (unless you buy the base model) you can “login” as a user with just Touch ID, you don’t even have to type anything in. You see your files and common files/apps and the other user(s) see theirs.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You see your files and common files/apps and the other user(s) see theirs.
And if you want to see those same files on your iPhone or iPad or even via a web browser on some other device, you store them in iCloud. It's easy and very handy to set things up that way.

DW and I also have a shared iCloud folder were we keep all items we both want access to - receipts, tax records, etc. Also very handy.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote