New All-In-One Desktop: Windows Or Mac ?

My 10 year old MacBook Pro is a tank.

A good computer can certainly serve for a long time. But Apple officially considers most of their devices "obsolete" after seven years, so updates and fixes to security issues cease. If that doesn't matter, no problem.

A few reasons

Really? This is truly sad especially since Intel processor evolution has slowed so much. I’d think that if you buy a mid-grade PC with reasonable amounts of memory and SSD it should last for a pretty long time.

What is it with "today's software and customer uses” that has so drastically changed recently that PCs are going obsolete?

Software inevitably advances and unlike decades ago, when memory and disk space was at a premium causing code that was written to be more "elegant", today's developers tend to be less generous towards conserving space. And customer uses oftentimes is regarding applications that tend to grow exponentially as they layer more and more onto users computers that allows them to track usage, etc. Sometimes you can clean up a system enough to overcome those failings but the majority of people do not, hence their systems get slower and slower over time. For most they are just better off starting fresh. I also wonder if components are just getting cheaper and cheaper as well, but that is just a musing on my part.

The good news is that you get a good bang for the buck with today's systems if you know how to buy effectively.

Really? This is truly sad especially since Intel processor evolution has slowed so much. I’d think that if you buy a mid-grade PC with reasonable amounts of memory and SSD it should last for a pretty long time.

What is it with "today's software and customer uses” that has so drastically changed recently that PCs are going obsolete?
Security has a great effect on the support. In business the amount of patching and program updates takes its toll. So where there are hundreds or thousands of machines, the plan is to refresh or replace at certain intervals.

At home it's a different approach. The 3-5 year lifecycle turns into 5-7 or more. My desktop has been in daily use since late 2014. I'm entering the 8th year, and it should be replaced.

A good computer can certainly serve for a long time. But Apple officially considers most of their devices "obsolete" after seven years, so updates and fixes to security issues cease. If that doesn't matter, no problem.

Apple will support its devices longer than Windows.

I was all PC from 1985 until 2012 iPhone. Now have iPhones 8 and 2020SE plus 2x iPads and an ASUS TUF laptop. The Laptop is for spreadsheets and complex filing and graphics.

My Only Problem is the iPad is stuck on iOS 9. Are there any hacks to extends its life? It will not run current iOS apps. No Twitter, for example.

I split my time between Windows & Macs. Current desktop is an iMac, but my laptops are now all Windows. Chromebooks are basically Google cloud environment terminals, not true stand-alone computers so no way meeting my needs.

https://www.techbout.com/disadvantages-of-chromebooks-69/

MacOS and Windows both have their strong and weak points. Personal choice. Both solid platforms, but can have occasional issues. Mac have more integrated connectivity with iPhones (if that matters to you). Macs tend to have better build quality but fewer upgrade choices/paths (recent iMacs cannot be opened by consumer to add RAM or replace drives). I would stick to big name companies when buying a Windows machine as build quality (and maker support) of some lower priced Windows units can be truly poor these days.

The lifespan of computers these days is mainly limited by sunsetting of security updates (5-7 yrs roughly).

Last edited:

My current 2013 Macbook Pro is running 12.3.1 Monterey which is the latest MacOS release. This is due to using OpenCore Legacy Patcher software which patches the older macs and lets you the current release. Works very well on my laptop.
I am sure Apple hates this software.

Stick with iMac

I actually started out on PCs and then went to Macs because of work around 1997. Since then I have had several models and although not always (but nearly) perfect, I would never go back to PC. I got so tired of constantly running security software and fixes back in the day on PCs I swore I would never own another one just because of the amount of effort it required to keep them running smoothly. iMacs are just so easy. With the exception of an occasional restart and run disk utility, I've never had an issue. It is money well spent.

Even this little tablet my work gave me is constantly popping up with items it wants to keep track of my hours spent or help me get through my day somehow. It is more annoying than anything else.

I have a 2013 Imac (in storage) and a 2018 MacBook Pro. I use the MacBook Pro mainly for surfing online, spreadsheets, and photo editing/ organizing using the Adobe Lightroom/photoshop subscription.

Photos are now at a much higher resolution and at a much bigger file size. My exported photo jpg file sizes can now be more than 150 mb. Exporting can take as long as 45 minutes per photo. Importing the larger raw files takes a long time also. I've seen lots of articles that claim this lethargy is due to the Adobe software and not the Mac.

However, I think it's time for a new Mac. I'm going to get the newly released Mac studio and keep my 32" dell monitor. I'll also keep the MacBook Pro just in case some of my current software doesn't work with the new m1 chip.

ETA - Just ordered and will pick up today.

Update: picked up the Apple studio at the Apple store, and a new keyboard. Setup was easy. Apple Studio walked me through a migration from my MacBook Pro. That took about an hour. All apps from the MacBook Pro are now on the new computer. Very easy. I was worried about mapping and scanning software that are no longer supported, but they work fine.

Everything works. New computer seems a little faster, and graphics seem a little crisper. It makes no sound, whereas MacBook fan was running a lot. I haven't put it through anything intense, but I like it so far.

Imported some photos into Adobe Lightroom from the card reader in the Apple studio. Seemed a little faster than the MacBook Pro. Edited a little in Topaz Denoise and Photoshop from within Lightroom, and exported to jpg - All quicker than MacBook Pro.

But here's the best part. MacBook Pro could not send a text message with an attachment located on an external drive. (think it was an OS issue) But the Apple Studio / Monterey Os does with no problems. Adding a pic just to see how it works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.44.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.44.39 PM.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Interested in hearing how you, and others, like those keyboards. They look cool, but they don’t look like they’d be comfortable to use. I’m used to the typical 101 key keyboard - mechanical with some legs on the back to tilt it up a little bit. I’ve kind of played with the Apple keyboard in the store, but I’m just not getting it.

^It's been years since I've used anything but a flat Apple keyboard. So I can't really comment on whether the old school tilted keyboards are more comfortable. I never typed enough on either kind to develop any serious issues - I usually only typed numbers at work.

I like the flat keyboard because there is no bend in the wrist. My hands are essentially flat on the flat keyboard. But I seem to remember the old school keyboards being easy to get a feel for the keys because the keys are raised.

Interested in hearing how you, and others, like those keyboards. They look cool, but they don’t look like they’d be comfortable to use. I’m used to the typical 101 key keyboard - mechanical with some legs on the back to tilt it up a little bit. I’ve kind of played with the Apple keyboard in the store, but I’m just not getting it.

It takes about a week for a good typist to get used to a wave-form keyboard.

After that, it's like Birkenstocks -- nothing else will do, ever. I even learned Dvorak. I prefer a qwerty wave form for pure speed. There is probably some bias for qwerty due to just sheer use.

vioqQ.jpg

It takes about a week for a good typist to get used to a wave-form keyboard.

After that, it's like Birkenstocks -- nothing else will do, ever. I even learned Dvorak. I prefer a qwerty wave form for pure speed. There is probably some bias for qwerty due to just sheer use.

vioqQ.jpg

I find it interesting that there are almost NO ergonomic keyboards for Macs. *shrug*

After 40+ years of typing QWERTY at up to 95wpm, as much as I like the *idea* of an ergonomic keyboard, they really did screw up by putting the 6 key on the left side. No one (at least in the U.S.) learns to use the left hand for the 6 key. I am mystified.

For example, I found this one which is split but all in one piece of hardware. The 6 key is on the right. One review site refers to it as "unusual placement of 6 key may effect touch typists." WTF? IT IS RIGHT WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...tionId=&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag143192-20

Sometimes I feel like I live in Bizarro world...

Any USB or Bluetooth keyboard, mouse, or trackpad you like should work fine with a Mac.

I was thinking the same thing, then I realized that the Mac keyboards have different control keys. I think that’s what was being said.

I was thinking the same thing, then I realized that the Mac keyboards have different control keys. I think that’s what was being said.

Maybe.

On the Mac you can map the Caps Lock, Control, Option, Command, and Function keys to each other as you like.

Attachments

• Keyboard Mapping.png
    Keyboard Mapping.png
    353.3 KB · Views: 9
I will vouch for the mac mini. i bought refurbished at a discount in 2010, and got 11 good years from it. I just migrated my quicken to the new format and am trying to keep my database going on my latest 2021 M1 mac mini. same format but has a dedicated chip for authentication and encryption credentials.

It takes up no space, i use bluetooth keybd and mouse, so no cable connections. All the basics with a good Unix underpinnings and continuity. it does everything except GPU intensive crypto mining and gaming/engineering. multi display. cheap and effective, a frugal selection, plus sync for ipad and iphone music and vid

I've never had a problem typing with Apple's flat keyboards. Had to order a new one as I understand my 2013 keyboard will not work with Mac Studio.

I should have posted this a lot sooner.

I'm the OP & last posted on March 27th (Message 30)
At that time, things had improved. Unfortunately, the same issues returned about a week later. Mid April, they went away and haven't been back since. Since I never changed any settings, I have to believe that Apple finally figured out the problem and installed a patch.

My faith in Apple is restored.
Thank you for all the replies/recommendations/tips.

Replace a mac every 3-5 years, you gots to be kidding ! I could understand the statement if it were referring to a cheap windows computer but a Mac, no way.

+1...totally agree. My main desktop is a 27" iMac purchased in Mar 2010. Still going strong and used everyday and only "Restart" it every 3 months or so just because. My laptop is a 2011 Macbook Air still running like new. Wife's desktop is a 21" iMac that she got in Dec 2010. Still going strong. I'd say we got our monies worth out of these.

The only problem with my macs is that the OS can not be upgraded past 10.13.6 High Sierra. So far hasn't cause a problem; however, I recently started getting a message that google drive will soon require 10.14 or above. We'll see what happens.

I looked at an Inspiron 24" touch screen All-in-One yesterday at Best Buy. 8GB memory 512 GB SSD. We are not gamers. We watch some videos on the computer, not full-length movies. E-mail, shopping, Messenger/face-time with the grown kiddos, Quicken, spreadsheets.

Any opinions on this?? Christmas pricing at $600. We currently use a HP Envy 17" screen laptop. Thoughts are appreciated.

I looked at an Inspiron 24" touch screen All-in-One yesterday at Best Buy. 8GB memory 512 GB SSD. We are not gamers. We watch some videos on the computer, not full-length movies. E-mail, shopping, Messenger/face-time with the grown kiddos, Quicken, spreadsheets.

Any opinions on this?? Christmas pricing at $600. We currently use a HP Envy 17" screen laptop. Thoughts are appreciated.

My thinking is that you'll be fine with that Inspiron and will enjoy having it compared to your laptop. 16GB of memory would be better, but 8GB should be ample to do what you describe. I don't personally know the full specs of the Inspiron. Hopefully, it has a newer CPU processor on it, but most all of them out these days will suffice for your stated needs.

I have a 24" HP all-in-one as my secondary computer (I use my newer MacBook Pro laptop with an external 27" monitor as my primary computer now). I bought the all-in-one in 2020 when I thought I wanted to move to a cheaper Windows ecosystem. But I grew to miss using a Mac and I gave in to my urges.

My all-in-one runs Windows 11 just fine and I enjoy not having a separate box for the CPU to deal with. It's a fine computer, but I just prefer the Apple ecosystem since I also use an iPhone, iPad, Apple Music, Apple speakers, etc.

My thinking is that you'll be fine with that Inspiron and will enjoy having it compared to your laptop. 16GB of memory would be better, but 8GB should be ample to do what you describe. I don't personally know the full specs of the Inspiron. Hopefully, it has a newer CPU processor on it, but most all of them out these days will suffice for your stated needs.

I have a 24" HP all-in-one as my secondary computer (I use my newer MacBook Pro laptop with an external 27" monitor as my primary computer now). I bought the all-in-one in 2020 when I thought I wanted to move to a cheaper Windows ecosystem. But I grew to miss using a Mac and I gave in to my urges.

My all-in-one runs Windows 11 just fine and I enjoy not having a separate box for the CPU to deal with. It's a fine computer, but I just prefer the Apple ecosystem since I also use an iPhone, iPad, Apple Music, Apple speakers, etc.

Ended up ordering an All-In-One HP Pavillion 24" screen with 12 GB and 1 TB. We had looked at them previously in Best Buy. By the time we made the decision to purchase one, no store had them in stock. We ordered one and should get it yet this week. The good thing is we caught it on one of the last days it was on sale. (and yes, I did check a couple days later and the price had gone back up). Hope it was a good decision. I just hate the process of getting it set up and making sure nothing important gets 'lost' in the transfer of information. We noted that our present computer was purchased in June of 2014. So even though we don't do anything major on the computer, it was probably time to update.

Thanks for the reply I received.

Ended up ordering an All-In-One HP Pavillion 24" screen with 12 GB and 1 TB. We had looked at them previously in Best Buy. By the time we made the decision to purchase one, no store had them in stock. We ordered one and should get it yet this week. The good thing is we caught it on one of the last days it was on sale. (and yes, I did check a couple days later and the price had gone back up). Hope it was a good decision. I just hate the process of getting it set up and making sure nothing important gets 'lost' in the transfer of information. We noted that our present computer was purchased in June of 2014. So even though we don't do anything major on the computer, it was probably time to update.

Thanks for the reply I received.

Excellent. That sounds similar to mine. I think you will like it once you get all set up with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom