Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:28 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Well "The Mac OS file structure isn't as intuitive as Windows IME, but not at all hard to understand/get used to.
For me, I use the MAC OS search (command/space) and hardly ever need the directory except to initially put stuff somewhere. It's as good as google on the HDD. WIN10 just cannot get that working. Note for search you can exclude folders (my tax/finance folders I do not have searchable). Anyway, use it and you'll never go back. It just works! Want to open news.app...comdspace ne and its there.
tizod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #43

Quote:
The Mac OS file structure isn't as intuitive as Windows IME, but not at all hard to understand/get used to.
I put my most-used folders (or just root folders like "Money" or "Genealogy") under Favorites in the left pane of Finder.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #44
gone traveling

The only complaint I have about the apple mouse is it goes thru batteries very quickly.

I may have to speed up my order as my screen and power saver stopped working and cannot figure out how to get it working again.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

@galaxy: good but if you use it alot and like me dont want hands to leave the keyboard to move a mouse with -use the comd space. Try it: comdspace mon (or gene) and hit return. It might take a few entries for it to know its your fav. But go deeper and open the file you want not a folder...
tizod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The only complaint I have about the apple mouse is it goes thru batteries very quickly.
I use the rechargeable magic mouse and just plug it in overnight once a week. That's overkill, since its battery lasts longer than that -- it's just easier to remember to do it on Sunday night.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I've had my new iMac for two weeks tomorrow, and I've deliberately spent several hours each day using it and learning how Mac OS is intended to be used - AND I LOVE IT!!!
That’s awesome!
Old 07-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I use the rechargeable magic mouse and just plug it in overnight once a week. That's overkill, since its battery lasts longer than that -- it's just easier to remember to do it on Sunday night.
Like I said I’ve used my mouse, trackpad and keyboard several hours/day for two weeks, and they’re all still at 64-81% battery status. So they’ll easily last a month for me, and the mouse is the only one I can’t use while charging - but I’ll use the trackpad then if needed. Nice.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #49

I was just responding to DFW_M5.

I bought my first Apple computer in 1980, and my first Mac in 1987.
I spent four years in the 90s with a software development company that did custom Mac software for Fortune 50 companies.

I love it when I go in to the local Apple store and interact with employees who weren't born yet when I was writing user manuals for Mac software.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #50

I have very large hands and the Magic Mouse just doesn’t work for me. I do like that the top of it works like a trackpad, but it feels like a little kid’s mouse to me and my hand cramps up in no time.

Yeah, I need to work on using more keyboard shortcuts not just command + space. When I used AutoCAD on a PC for 6 hours out of my day, I got so I had the right hand on the mouse and the left hand on the keyboard and got very efficient. If you’ve ever driven a CAD machine you’ll know what I mean.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
If you’ve ever driven a CAD machine you’ll know what I mean.
Spent a few years working with a three-button mouse on a Unix machine doing CAD stuff, so I know what you're saying. The downside was that I developed carpal tunnel from that and had to [sob] retire.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Like I said I’ve used my mouse, trackpad and keyboard several hours/day for two weeks, and they’re all still at 64-81% battery status. So they’ll easily last a month for me, and the mouse is the only one I can’t use while charging - but I’ll use the trackpad then if needed. Nice.
Re-read some of this thread and hoping you (Midpack), can give us an update. Wondering if you loaded any software and what you thought of it and the process. Thinking of Excel (Office) and TT though probably too early for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
When I used AutoCAD on a PC for 6 hours out of my day, I got so I had the right hand on the mouse and the left hand on the keyboard and got very efficient. If you’ve ever driven a CAD machine you’ll know what I mean.
I used to do a lot of number crunching. I taught myself to use the mouse in my left hand so I could navigate the spreadsheet and then enter the data using the numeric keypad (basically a 10 key) without having to move my hands from keyboard to mouse so much. Worked pretty good.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Re-read some of this thread and hoping you (Midpack), can give us an update. Wondering if you loaded any software and what you thought of it and the process. Thinking of Excel (Office) and TT though probably too early for that.
Early? I downloaded our Microsoft 365 subscription on day one after my initial setup. It was a breeze. I have Excel, Word and PPT on my dock. I'll probably use Pages and Keynote instead of Word and PPT from now forward, but Numbers isn't nearly as useful as Excel for me - and though I've figured out convoluted ways to get my existing spreadsheets to work in Numbers, I'm not going to spend the time dumbing them down and I'm staying with Excel for the foreseeable future.

I haven't downloaded any other apps so far.

I am still absolutely thrilled with the iMac.

My only complaint, and no one at Apple seems to have an answer either. I got the Magic Keyboard w Numeric Keypad (top in pic below), and it has F13 thru F19 function keys. They don't have any purpose that I can find, and they're not programmable without a third party app - that seems very odd to me.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #54
gone traveling

One thing I added to my iMac a while back is CleanMyMac X which did seem to help with speed. Curious how many folks are using a maintenance utility?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Early?
Early for Turbo Tax.

Thanks for the update. I’m in no hurry, but thinking about this for my next computer.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Early for Turbo Tax.

Thanks for the update. I’m in no hurry, but thinking about this for my next computer.
Sorry I missed that. I'll be downloading TT in Dec/Jan too.

programming F keys
Old 08-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

programming F keys

"My only complaint, and no one at Apple seems to have an answer either. I got the Magic Keyboard w Numeric Keypad (top in pic below), and it has F13 thru F19 function keys. They don't have any purpose that I can find, and they're not programmable without a third party app - that seems very odd to me."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have programed my F keys 13-19 to do various things for me quickly.
The one I use very frequently is F19 which I changed to activate taking/saving a
screen shot of a selected area.I have my trackpad next to my keyboard so it's just a matter of moving my finger about an inch or 2 to activate.I don't know if this is the kind of thing you were talking about-that's Very simple. No need for an app.System preferences>Keyboard>shortcuts.
moochie is offline   Reply With Quote
New iMac
Old 08-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #58

New iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
One thing I added to my iMac a while back is CleanMyMac X which did seem to help with speed. Curious how many folks are using a maintenance utility?

I’m also using CleanMyMac and I’m finding that it does help. It tells me when an application is stuck and offers a Force Quit.

I also downloaded another one called https://www.drbuho.com it was on sale for a lifetime license for $4.99 so I thought I’d try it.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
"My only complaint, and no one at Apple seems to have an answer either. I got the Magic Keyboard w Numeric Keypad (top in pic below), and it has F13 thru F19 function keys. They don't have any purpose that I can find, and they're not programmable without a third party app - that seems very odd to me."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have programed my F keys 13-19 to do various things for me quickly.
The one I use very frequently is F19 which I changed to activate taking/saving a
screen shot of a selected area.I have my trackpad next to my keyboard so it's just a matter of moving my finger about an inch or 2 to activate.I don't know if this is the kind of thing you were talking about-that's Very simple. No need for an app.System preferences>Keyboard>shortcuts.
Since my last post, I have figured out how to program my F13-F19 keys. Problem is I don't know the actual commands for what I want to program. If I want to program a function key to mimic a word command like "File->Paste" or "View->Zoom In" it's easy enough. But I want to mimic how the F2 and F4 keys work in Excel using F13 & F14 on my iMac. If there's a word command for either of them I haven't figured it out. It's not "Edit" or "Enter" as Excel shows.

That said, I still LOVE the iMac (glancing over at my WinPC sitting on the floor)...

Old 08-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #60

Have been using a 2012 MacBook Pro laptop I bought refurbished in 2014. The new M1 chips interest me, and I will probably replace my old one within a year.

I like the Command-space search shortcut, haven't used it before.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote