Join Early Retirement Today

New iPad
Old 12-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

New iPad

Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a new IPAD. I currently have a 64 gb Air that’s at least
5 years old. I’ll likely purchase this after Christmas. I have had two since
they were introduced. Both have been incredibly reliable.
I primarily use mine for internet, email, and a few apps. I also use it to
access my Fidelity account and do a little trading.
Please let me know what you have and your recommendations.
I also have an Apple phone and will be keeping that. They work well
together.

Thanks!

gwix
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple has a nice comparison page at: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

The base iPad is a bargain and performs well.

The iPad Air is more expensive, but is a step up in almost all ways. Newer/faster CPU/GPU, more memory, more storage, bigger screen, True Tone screen (more accurate color), a tad lighter, USB C vs Lighting connection.

If you want a bargain, get the iPad, if you want a really nice iPad that will last you another 5 years, get the Air.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #3

I bought the 11" iPad Pro when it came out in May 2020. Mine is 256Gb. The amount of storage you need is entirely driven on how many photos/movies/apps you may have. Have you had any issues running out of space with your current iPad? Even if not, I'd still probably get one with at least 128Gb for future growth. But if you don't store photos/movies on it, 64Gb might still be fine.

I like the iPad Pro because it has Face ID. The new iPad Airs use Touch ID built into the power button on top frame. I like to just pick up the iPad and have it unlock when I look at it. And the regular iPad still uses the older Touch ID on the front face of the tablet.

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend and the size of the tablet you want. They've all been updated nicely since your last purchase.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

Another good guide:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#ios
Old 12-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m going to get the iPad Air soon, just for streaming workout videos. Nice screen!

For some reason I prefer Touch ID.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just traded in my iPad Air 2 and DW’s iPad gen4 on two new iPad Air 4’s. Love them! But what YOU need depends on exactly what YOU use it for, budget constraints, how much you use it, future proofing, etc. If all you’re doing is “internet, email, a few apps, and to access my Fidelity account and do a little trading” the most basic iPad will do those things easily. Unless you have essential productivity needs, you’re replacing a laptop, or you’re using the iPad for gaming, video editing or storing tons of files-pics-videos the basic iPad will do.

There’s no difference in how they’ll (Mini, iPad, Air or Pro) integrate with your iPhone or other Apple devices, so that’s not a factor.

Edit: We got $110 and $150 trade in allowance from Apple on the two old ones. Also got another $75 on another old inherited iPad.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m going to get the iPad Air soon, just for streaming workout videos. Nice screen!

Audrey,

I actually like touch too. DW has face recognition, but not sure she
uses it that much.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Touch ID, but just curious why? We just got iPhone 12’s with face ID and it’s incredible - though a PITA while we’re all wearing masks. Temporary problem.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

Good point on one of the comments above. Be sure to check to see how much you can get for trading in your old iPad if you no longer plan on using it. Apple's trade in program has saved me a lot of money through the years.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It’s true, I could get by with my current IPAD 2 Air. It does all I need it to do.
Likewise with my Series 7 iPhone. The additional speed might be nice if it
really is all that noticeable.
Curious-Did you get much in the way of trade-in $$?
Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

I have the IPad Pro but the new IPad Air is so close to the Pro that it’s a much better value. It’s the perfect sweet spot between price and performance.

I would also rather have Touch ID than Face ID. The reason is I use my IPad in bed where it’s resting on my lap while I’m typing. The camera is too far away to see my face, so every time I need to use Face ID I have to lift the IPad up at an awkward angle so that the camera can see my face. Touch ID would eliminate this problem.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98 View Post
It’s true, I could get by with my current IPAD 2 Air. It does all I need it to do.
Likewise with my Series 7 iPhone. The additional speed might be nice if it
really is all that noticeable.
Curious-Did you get much in the way of trade-in $$?
The speed you’re experiencing may be more a function of your WiFi connection than your iPad. Our new iPads aren’t dramatically faster (details above). We traded in to future proof iOS support and because our batteries weren’t holding a charge very long anymore - otherwise we didn’t need new ones.

Our trade info above, but just spec out the iPad you’re interested in and complete the trade in quote at the end - you don’t have to follow through with the order to see YOUR trade in value. https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air

Old 12-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The speed you’re experiencing may be more a function of your WiFi connection than your iPad. Our new iPads aren’t dramatically faster (details above). We traded in to future proof iOS support and because our batteries weren’t holding a charge very long anymore - otherwise we didn’t need new ones.

Our trade info above, just enter your info here
Very true regarding connection speed. We are relatively slow at 30/30.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #14

I got a new iPad Pro in September for distance teaching. It came with free AirPod Pro earphones which was a nice bonus. It is the first iPad I have had and I find it quite useful and versatile. I don't think the FaceID is a big deal and on the phones it is definitely a pain in this time of masks - yes hopefully temporary.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98 View Post
Audrey,

I actually like touch too. DW has face recognition, but not sure she
uses it that much.
DH loves the Face ID but it has been a pain during the pandemic. And there have been a few other times it has been inconvenient including low light conditions I think, and trying to use the phone inconspicuously. I just find Touch ID super easy to use and don’t care to switch.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
DH loves the Face ID but it has been a pain during the pandemic. And there have been a few other times it has been inconvenient including low light conditions I think, trying to use the phone inconspicuously. I just find Touch ID super easy to use and don’t care to switch.
I get it! We all have our preferences!
Old 12-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all for your input. Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went through a similar decision earlier in the year. I had the original iPad Air. I ended up purchasing the iPad Pro 11 inches.

I decided that since I use the iPad so much, I should go with a good version. My iPad was so old that it no longer supported the latest version of iOS. I spend a lot of time on the iPad. Also, I like electronic gadgets.

After I bought the new iPad I did have some buyers remorse. Yes, it is faster and better than my old iPad, but really for what I mostly use it for..,is the speed that noticeable? The big improvements are speed, battery life, and Face ID. I do like Face ID. I didn’t think that I would, I hadn’t even set it up on my Samsung phone. I ended up setting up Face ID on my phone, but don’t use it much on the phone....masks.

I still can’t say that it was worth the money, but hey, Blow that Dough!
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have an Air 2 that has been great. But, lately, I find that it does not always scroll smoothly. It seems as though it is struggling to respond to some websites. It also drops WiFi now and then. The battery no longer will hold a descent charge. Using it is becoming a rather frustrating experience at times. I think I may take advantage of the trade-in program while the Air 2 is still functioning. They have given me a trade-in value of $130.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I don't have an iPad. I like using my desktop which is set up on a built in desk in my kitchen which is very comfortable. But DW loves her iPad mini for ebooks. I have been using a Nook touch for ebooks for years but am thinking of switching to an iPad. I'm tempted by the mini's smaller form factor but am curious if some of you have found reading books on the full sized iPad comfortable.