Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm tempted by the mini's smaller form factor but am curious if some of you have found reading books on the full sized iPad comfortable.
I find both work well.

When I read on the iPad I use a "two Page" view with the iPad in landscape orientation. This is easy to read and you don't have to turn the page as often.

Still, I find myself using my iPhone to read books because it's always with me. I do turn the page more often, but that becomes automatic after a while.

Since the devices all sync I often switch back and forth.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't have an iPad. I like using my desktop which is set up on a built in desk in my kitchen which is very comfortable. But DW loves her iPad mini for ebooks. I have been using a Nook touch for ebooks for years but am thinking of switching to an iPad. I'm tempted by the mini's smaller form factor but am curious if some of you have found reading books on the full sized iPad comfortable.
Yeah - I'm sticking with my iPad mini for ebooks. I initially bought it for travel, but ended up using it all the time because I preferred the size for reading - ebooks and web surfing.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #23

For book reading, I think the paperwhite version of the kindle is the best. However, since I’m mostly on my iPad, I just use that to read and it works very well (iPad Pro 10”).

I noticed a few comments about turning pages. FYI, on the iPad (not sure about other tablets), you can set the page to scroll. I like that as it is the most common way I read anything, like web pages, on an iPad. I also like it so I can use large type and not be turning the page all the time. This also sets up in that I can just keep the sentence I’m reading at the top of my screen and I’m not moving my eyes all that much. Almost like a prompter. Works for me, YMMV.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #24

I use the kindle app on my IPad frequently to read books. It works quite well. In the early days of ebook reading we bought a dedicated kindle device. But over the years IPads became so good that there is really no reason to have a dedicated kindle device anymore. So unless you only plan to use your tablet for book reading, I would just get an IPad and skip the kindle devices.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #25

Quote:
I don't have an iPad. I like using my desktop which is set up on a built in desk in my kitchen which is very comfortable. But DW loves her iPad mini for ebooks. I have been using a Nook touch for ebooks for years but am thinking of switching to an iPad. I'm tempted by the mini's smaller form factor but am curious if some of you have found reading books on the full sized iPad comfortable.
I tried reading books on my various iPads through the years and found it too heavy/big to comfortably use for everyday reading of novels and such. I have never had an iPad mini, however. For a book reader, I would not get anything bigger than a mini. I prefer my kindle for reading books. Nothing better.

I do download travel guide books and such to my iPad when I travel and will use them while on a trip. But for reading 300 page novels, no. It's too heavy/big.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I will probably go with a mini. I like that I could find myself waiting for a doctors appt of the like and just pop my book open on my phone where I left off on my iPad. I can't do it with my Nook since almost all of my books are sideloaded library books and won't sync through the Nook app.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, my new iPad Pro will no longer charge. It is past the 90 day return policy at Costco where I bought it, so I have an appointment with the Genius Bar. I have been online and tried all the troubleshooting tips. So far, for the money, I cannot recommend the iPad Pro.

I hope that I will return from my genius appointment happy with my iPad. The iPad has been well cared for...never dropped, never splashed, always in a protective case. It should last more than four months.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Well, my new iPad Pro will no longer charge. It is past the 90 day return policy at Costco where I bought it, so I have an appointment with the Genius Bar. I have been online and tried all the troubleshooting tips. So far, for the money, I cannot recommend the iPad Pro.

I hope that I will return from my genius appointment happy with my iPad. The iPad has been well cared for...never dropped, never splashed, always in a protective case. It should last more than four months.
Maybe wait until you know what the problem is? It might be something simple (the charge brick or cable), I hope it goes well for you. I’m on my third iPad (iPad 2, iPad Air, iPad Air 4), DW has had two and they have all been flawless...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #30

Quote:

how far past? if it's just a few days costco is usually flexible.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #31

Quote:

The iPad is warrantied for a year. I'm sure you'll be happy with the response you receive from the Genius Bar. Though, it does suck to have to deal with an issue, especially this early on.

I bought my DW one of the first iPad Airs many years ago and it is still going strong. I ended up buying her and iPad Pro to match mine, but the old unit is still serving the grandkids well when they come over.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #32

Yes definitely I would try Costco if only just past. Also try someone else's charger as per Midpack. We have had good luck with them too.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #33

Sorry if I’m asking basics here but have you tried an alternate charging brick and cable?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:23 AM   #34

I contacted Costco first. I bought the iPad in October so it is more than a few days past 90, but still new enough that I shouldn’t be having problems.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #35

Apple recently updated Mac OS Bigsur (as recent as few days ago) to fix no charging issue of MacBook pro 2016 - 2017 etc... - Perhaps, your version of iPad has similar issue and an update of IOS will fix it. Yes, I agree that the people at the apple store will take care your problem.

https://www.macworld.com/article/360...available.html
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Sorry if I’m asking basics here but have you tried an alternate charging brick and cable?
+1 Just this morning my iPad wouldn't charge, so I changed the charging wire out with another one I had kicking around the house. And bingo! That fixed the problem. Maybe that could be it.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 Just this morning my iPad wouldn't charge, so I changed the charging wire out with another one I had kicking around the house. And bingo! That fixed the problem. Maybe that could be it.
Must be "bad iPad cord" season. Had exactly the same thing happen with DW's iPad today.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Must be "bad iPad cord" season. Had exactly the same thing happen with DW's iPad today.
Who knew? OK, everybody, go change out your iPad cords pronto!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Were they Apple cords or aftermarket? Just curious.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

In my case it was an Apple cord.