Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
But in the last two years the biggest change to the Iphones have been slightly improved cameras, and not much else.
I agree that the pace of change is slowing and I personally have moved from a new phone very 2 years to a new one every three.

BUT. "not much else" isn't really true. You may not care, but the a lot changes year over year.

- The processor continues to get faster and faster. And especially the GPU that runs much faster. That leads to smoother animations and such. Phones have also added dedicated silicon for machine learning. The latest iPhones are actually faster than most laptop computers.

- Phones have been adding more memory and storage.

- Displays get better - wide color gamuts and brighter colors.

- Better power efficiency - noticeable longer battery life.

- Did you know that the built in speaker is louder than it used to be? And it's stereo now, used to be mono.

- FaceID instead of TouchID. Uses that machine learning circuitry and provides better security.

- Wireless charging

- More cellular bands being supported (telephone companies are using those old unused TV bands we abandoned when TV when digital).

- Better WiFi. Every heard of WiFi 6?

- You do realize phones are virtual waterproof these days. Certainly weren't a few years ago.

Etc. Etc. Hundreds of little things that actually do add up to noticeable improvements over time.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

I’m getting iPhone Pro 11 but someone is buying it as my birthday gift. (I got them a Roomba for their birthday). I had the SE ( paid $549) for 3 years and if I wasn’t getting the gift, I would keep my SE. The price of the phone is ridiculous to me personally.
MissGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
The rumors I have seen say one is probably coming, BUT it reportedly will have a notched screen (like the Xs), and be 4.7" or 5.4", and be marketed as an "affordable" iPhone. In other words, Apple will completely miss the boat for those looking for a smaller iPhone (and incidentally, would be willing to pay almost as much as the what the iPhone 11 costs).

I am glad I sold my Apple stock!
I’m not so sure they’d be missing the boat. I can’t speak for everyone, but I think the combination of small and less expensive is exactly what I want. I don’t need much from my phone, but I want a smartphone, not a flip phone. So a basic model in the size I want would be welcome, especially at a lower price.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

I also bought a set of AirPods.
Yes, I like mine too. Surprising how much I like them. I do Apple for my phone, AirPods and iPad. But, Windows all the way for computer.

Quote:
All of these purchases using the Apple Card and 3% cash-back, of course.
I rarely apply for new credit cards and use my Amex Blue Cash Preferred most everywhere unless the place just doesn't take Amex. But, the Apple Card was very appealing and I applied for it just to use for this phone. I will also use it when I can Apple Pay and get more back than I would on Amex and anywhere that I can't use Amex (except Whole Foods and Amazon when I use the Amazon Prime card through Chase).

Quote:
So, over 50% of people are women. For some reason, women's pants have small pockets that are very difficult or impossible to hold smartphones. Yet, Apple continues to make bigger and bigger smartphones. I believe there is a very big market share for a smaller, but full-featured, smartphone...maybe 4" screen, with no bezel.
I don't buy clothes until I test the phone in the pocket. That said, I am going this year for the Pro instead of the Pro Max because I wanted to downsize in size without downsizing in features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Always on screen is nice but not worthy of spending money to upgrade.

That is what I decided as well. I'll see what is available next year.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Series 3 watch is doing just fine. Like you I’m due for a replacement on the next plan at AT&T, even though my current 8 Plus is working just fine. Have not decided what I will get, but I’m leaning toward the cheaper of the two new iPhone 11’s. That said however nothing will happen for the next month or so...
Old 09-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I. So used to the watch face turning off, I’m not sure I want one that stays on LOL! Or maybe during workouts only. Although there glances work well.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, now I have a magic keyboard and a pencil. No iPad yet. But I can use the keyboard as a drum pad (familiar to anyone who’s had drum lessons) and the pencil as a single drum stick. Progress!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #48

My Apple Watch came in handy this morning. DH and I are visiting Nags Head and went out for a walk this morning without wallets or phones. We ended up at Jennette’s Pier, which has a small fee to access.

Alas, no money in our pockets. But Apple Pay to the rescue! Double tap my watch, hold it up to the credit card thingy, and we’re good to go out on the pier and watch the fishermen.

DH still doesn’t quite understand how I did that.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #49

We bought 2-6s from Consumer Cellular, new. $200/each. Mine fits in my jean pockets and other jacket pockets. No reason to upgrade until phones completely fail. They worked great overseas under T Mobil. We switched back to ATT in the states. Had to change sim cards. CC sent them to us, no charge.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #50

Perhaps this belongs under the "blow that dough" thread, but this morning I ordered two new iPhone 11's for DW and me. Our iPhone 6's (not 6S) are now five years old and the latest version of iOS doesn't support them any longer, so no more security updates.

I considered one of the older models, but I hope to hold onto these phones for at least another five years. Besides, as a former enginerd I love gadgets, and my WR supports it!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
New iPhone/Apple Watch?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

New iPhone/Apple Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Perhaps this belongs under the "blow that dough" thread, but this morning I ordered two new iPhone 11's for DW and me. Our iPhone 6's (not 6S) are now five years old and the latest version of iOS doesn't support them any longer, so no more security updates.

That sounds like a good choice (11 over earlier models). I’m getting experience right now with having a phone (5s) that can’t run iOS 13.1.

If I were to decide to get a newer iPhone it would be not-bleeding-edge model of the most recent batch. That would be iPhone 11 (I’d been considering the 8 but that would be the first to drop off the supported list).

I’ll squeeze what I can out of the 5s and have recently dropped some $$ into iPad + accessories so would like to hold on with more purchases.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
My Apple Watch came in handy this morning. DH and I are visiting Nags Head and went out for a walk this morning without wallets or phones. We ended up at Jennette’s Pier, which has a small fee to access.

Alas, no money in our pockets. But Apple Pay to the rescue! Double tap my watch, hold it up to the credit card thingy, and we’re good to go out on the pier and watch the fishermen.

DH still doesn’t quite understand how I did that.
Nice!

The other day at an out of state Costco. I hold up my phone Costco App ID page for them to wand me in, then do Apple Pay with my watch at the terminal.

Reaction from the cashier: "Wow, you all technology girrrrl!"

LOL! - not bad for pushing 60!
Old 09-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #53

I saw the new Apple Watch series 5 last night. Nice.

I had to stop staring at it as my series 3 watch was getting very jealous.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/apple-watch-5

Quote:
It sounds a bit silly, that the Apple Watch can now tell you the time all the time. And maybe it is. But alongside the heart health diagnostic tools that made the Series 4 so essential, a built-in compass and the watchOS 6 features that improve just about every part of the Apple Watch experience, the Series 5’s always-on display cements the Apple Watch’s place as the best smartwatch you can buy.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
...I’d been considering the 8 but that would be the first to drop off the supported list)...
Maybe not. The 6s and the 7/7+ would likely go before an 8. I will guess that the 8 has a couple more years of being supported.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post

I'm curious -- do you have the cellular-enabled watch?

I still love my older Series 2 watch with only wifi capability, but that sort of thing might make me consider a newer model before long. And if cellular is required to use Apple Pay without your phone, I wonder if a cellular contract is needed as well, or if it would work without one.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I still love my older Series 2 watch with only wifi capability, but that sort of thing might make me consider a newer model before long. And if cellular is required to use Apple Pay without your phone, I wonder if a cellular contract is needed as well, or if it would work without one.
Must need a contract.

My watch is a series three with cell capability. But I have never turned it on as I thought the contracts were too expensive. And I don't really need it. There were some other features with the Series 3 cell capability that were appealing, plus I initially thought I might use it.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #57

You don’t need cellular service to use Apple Pay. The card information is stored locally on the watch.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Typing this on the new iPhone 11. Upgraded from a 7 when I saw a deal from AT&T for $450 off the phone just for signing a 2 year agreement. I’ve been off plans for years and pay about $55 a month but they didn’t change my plan at all (confirmed many times on chat snf got it in writing) so I figured this was a great deal. I can sell the 7 for $200 and I end up paying about $110 including tax $299 from $749) for something that will hold most of that value for another 2 years.

Have to ask the loyalty department about this offer.

Gadgets are my weakness so I had to treat myself.

The camera is amazing and well worth the upgrade if you take lots of photos. DSLR quality.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I have the Series 4 with WiFi only. Since I was a more than a mile from my phone, there's no chance it was still connected. I guess since the credit card is stored in the Apple Wallet on the watch, it's available without connectivity.

This is my first Apple Watch, so I can't comment on the differences between the Series 2 and Series 4. Are you sure your Series 2 can't do Apple Pay?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #60

Series 1 and later includes Apple Pay.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208531
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple watch, iphone