Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had a couple of Lenovo Ideapads. They are the entry level, consumer line. That being said, I never had a problem with hinges. Keyboards? Yes. Hinges, no. The Lenovo ThinkPads are their business models and are more sturdily built. They are also more easily repaired. My last 2 purchases were off-lease HP Folio's. Not the latest in gizmos. Sturdy as the day is long. IMO, they can't be beat All for less than $200. Yeah, they have real hard drives. That too can be upgraded for total cost of less than a new cheap laptop.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

thank you everyone - a lot to digest and start putting on Slickdeal Alerts
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was working we used the Dell Latitude laptops that are business oriented and we lugged them all over the globe travelling and the IT guys said they were rock solid. We would get new ones every 2-3 years and my IT buddy said the company would wholesale sell them to refurbishers who then scrubbed them and resold them. So when I retired in 2015 I found a Dell Latitude 5600 from Staples with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD for $250 bucks with a 90-day warranty. Well that was 4+ years ago and I'm typing this reply on the same device, which travels back and forth to our second home in Maine a couple of times every month.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two pages and no one has asked the deep question...
Do you have a cat?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #25

That happened to an HP that we had years ago. We are now on year 8 of a Toshiba. However, anecdotes ≠ data.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I have never had a hinge or case crack when using mostly Dell laptops.

What are you doing that is causing this to happen?
We've always used Dell Inspiron laptops, and my most recent one developed a short somewhere in the hinge/case. Pivot the screen while the laptop is powered up, and it shorts out the battery power, causing it to abruptly power down (won't do it if the AC adapter is plugged on).

In addition, the venting on the left side of the case has cracked and started to splinter off. Never had that problem before with a Dell laptop. It hasn't been dropped or used roughly. I need to replace it. Not sure if my next laptop will be a Dell. Been trying to hold off until the end of the year/early next year before making the switch from Windows 7 Pro.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch57 View Post
When I was working we used the Dell Latitude laptops that are business oriented and we lugged them all over the globe travelling and the IT guys said they were rock solid. We would get new ones every 2-3 years and my IT buddy said the company would wholesale sell them to refurbishers who then scrubbed them and resold them. ...
We used both Dell and Thinkpads... and during my 13 years with the firm I had both. I had issues with the Dell, but none with any of the Thinkpads. Lenovo is solid in my experience.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #28

As I'm reading this thread, it just occurred to me that DW and I have never actually purchased a laptop, except for the kids when they went to college. I used and abused many laptops throughout my Megacorp road warrior days. When I retired I had two assigned to me. They let me keep the older one, which is a 2010 Toshiba. It still works fine but we hardly ever use it.

We both prefer using a desktop PC for serious computing like online banking, spreadsheets, taxes, photo/video editing, and word processing. We also like having three 22" monitors, full size keyboard, etc. I really don't like the laptop form factor, although maybe it's just the negative association with Megacorp.

For casual stuff like email, chatting, social media, web browsing, online shopping, etc, we just use our phones. We no longer take the laptop when we travel as our phones can do everything we need. For travel, I might consider a really small Chromebook at some point in the future. But don't think I'll ever buy a laptop.

BTW, I never had a hinge break or a case crack, and I was pretty abusive with laptops at Megacorp.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #29

Work gave me a surface to use which I think is kinda cool. I am a huge bill gates fan though.

To be fair, I did crack this case...but the machine still works fine. I cracked my HP too by the hinge and it started peeling away the trim piece from around the hinged screen. Eventually would have gone completely...some of the LED display was being effected by the crack, but work performance was not LOL!
Old 07-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #30

We used Panasonic Toughbooks at w*rk.
Dropped one off the roof of a bus, watched it bounce 3 times on concrete floor,
it shuts down when dropped. Restarted and ran fine. They live up to their name.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
New Laptop Recommendation
Old 07-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

New Laptop Recommendation

No issues w/ our devices - We have Dell Latitudes for work (supplied by MegaCorp); various Mac laptops for home use and iPads and iPhones. We are gentle. We treat these like fine china.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to ask the OP, what exactly are you trying to do? I’m a contract Project manager who is often not at one desk. I ended up buying an iPad Pro 12.9” with a 1TB hard drive, and Cellular data. I also bought the apple keyboard and pen for it. The cost was just shy of $2450, before a discount.

It has been a laptop replacement through and through for me. I can VPN in to my desktop terminal which runs windows or I can run a Virtual Machine when I need to. Moreover, I can utilize my own apps on the apple side of the house as I need them.

My team mates have: Surface Pro 6, Surface 2 -1, the Dell Latitude, a couple of gaming Laptops, and others that I really don’t know what the names are.

Before I bought the iPad, I tried some of theirs, I prefer the iPad hands down.

Note: I have other apple products, so it was an easy thing to add. If I didn’t have apple, I would probably settle on the Surface Pro (it was my second choice).
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote