New Wireless Printer for printing and scanning

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I currently have an HP 6700 OfficeJet Premium all in one printer. It still works fine, except I use it wirelessly and since going to a Nest Mesh network it keeps dropping off the network. The printer operates at 2.4Ghz while the mesh is dual band and I suspect that is causing some conflicts. When it loses its wireless connection it becomes a PITA to get it to reconnect. Therefore, I am looking to buy a new printer that is dual band wireless. Any suggestions for a well built home printer for printing and scanning? I need for low volume work, and hopefully can find one that will not be obsolete in a few years or be unable to find print cartridges for it.

I'm interested as well. I read good things about the new HP printers, but they've started this ink program that I don't want any part of.

I'm interested as well. I read good things about the new HP printers, but they've started this ink program that I don't want any part of.
The ink program is entirely optional though HP “presents the opportunity” more often than I’d like. I just ignore the ink program, and I’m very happy with our HP ENVY Pro 6455 All-in-One Wireless Printer. And it is a dual band printer FYI OP.

I have a Google WiFi mesh network and I have a lot of devices that only operate on 2.4Ghz. I’ve never had any problem. Something doesn’t sound right.

I have a Google WiFi mesh network and I have a lot of devices that only operate on 2.4Ghz. I’ve never had any problem. Something doesn’t sound right.

Agree. If you like your printer it seems like overkill to get a new one just to clear up a network problem. Maybe the printer needs a firmware update or a driver update.

I had to replace my HP printer, did my research and last year purchased a Brother J995DW. I have been very happy with this all-in-one printer and like it better than my HP which had serviced me fine for many years fine as well.
I would buy the Brother over the HP, but they're both fine.

Rich

I have an Epson Inktank type printer for my main Win 10 desktop that can be connected wirelessly. However, I can't vouch for the reliability of the connection because I choose to connect to my printer with a good old fashioned (long) USB printer cable.

Strangely though, my Linux laptop automatically recognized the printer and can print wirelessly despite me not even doing any set up ... system too smart :popcorn:.

I currently have an HP 6700 OfficeJet Premium all in one printer. It still works fine, except I use it wirelessly and since going to a Nest Mesh network it keeps dropping off the network. The printer operates at 2.4Ghz while the mesh is dual band and I suspect that is causing some conflicts. When it loses its wireless connection it becomes a PITA to get it to reconnect.

Three suggestions for making your old printer work:

1. Try using WPS to get the printer onto the WiFi network. It looks like your printers supports this and I'm pretty sure any mesh WiFi network would also support it.

2. Turn off WPA-3 security (use WPA-2 instead) on your WiFi network. While WPA-3 is "better" for many reasons, I've found that many low powered devices (and an older printer fits this bill) have problems with it. This should be a setting in your Mesh network router.

3. It looks like your printer also has an ethernet port. If you can, plug it into the Mesh router (or satellite WiFi boxes if they have ethernet ports too).

Good luck

Three suggestions for making your old printer work:

1. Try using WPS to get the printer onto the WiFi network. It looks like your printers supports this and I'm pretty sure any mesh WiFi network would also support it.

2. Turn off WPA-3 security (use WPA-2 instead) on your WiFi network. While WPA-3 is "better" for many reasons, I've found that many low powered devices (and an older printer fits this bill) have problems with it. This should be a setting in your Mesh network router.

3. It looks like your printer also has an ethernet port. If you can, plug it into the Mesh router (or satellite WiFi boxes if they have ethernet ports too).

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure how to enable WPS with Nest Mesh, I will have to look into that, although I have noticed the setup screen on the HP printer does show a WPS option. Just do not know how to get this to work.

I am using WPA-2 security.

Ethernet port is not an option given the location of the printer and I do not want to move the printer from its present spot.

Edit - Just checked and Nest Mesh does not support WPS.

Last edited:
I had to replace my HP printer, did my research and last year purchased a Brother J995DW. I have been very happy with this all-in-one printer and like it better than my HP which had serviced me fine for many years fine as well.
I would buy the Brother over the HP, but they're both fine.

Rich

I like my Brother printer, too! But, mine is not wireless. I prefer to print via USB connection. I keep it about 3' from my recliner and I can retrieve whatever I printed without even going anywhere. Plus, I don't have to mess with any possible wireless issues. Guess I'm a Luddite because to me, not having wireless printer connection is a big plus.

Anyway, I think that Brother makes good, solid laser printers.

One thing to consider: An Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) option.

If you're going to use the device as a scanner you'll be glad you did. And if you don't use the scanner, you should. Get those old photos into digital format. Declutter your file cabinets. Get your important documents into electronic format and back them up to a safe location. I'm at the point where almost nothing new goes into a paper filing cabinet. And when I have time, I'll pull one folder out and scan it all in.

I was apprehensive to buy the Epson ET-3760, but I am glad I did so far. I have had many HP printers and other laser types as well. I really like the tanks to fill with cheap ink and not getting the HP error that my Chinese printer cartridges are expired and must be replaced.

This model does not fax, but it does scan and the iPhone app for printing remote works great from anywhere. Costco has it for $349 with lots of ink to last 5 years for me.

Another fan of the Brother printer here. Ink refills are much cheaper than HP. We haven’t had issues with wireless printing from our phones or iPads.

I enjoy my cheap black and white Brother laser printer. I seldom have to get refills.

I also have a HP color inkjet, but I no longer use it. For the price of the refills, they HP ought to just give you the printer all in one unit.

When working, I had a HP laser printer that I'd use all day every day. It'd sometimes go all year without a paper jam. But it was pricey new.

I don't know about Nest Mesh particularly, but I've been having problems with some of my old devices (Dell printer, Amcrest cameras, water sensors) connecting wirelessly since I was forced by Mediacom to upgrade my cable router. I think it's backwards compatibility issues with Wifi6 or Docsis 3.1. I can get them to work if I add them to the network via ethernet, but they just won't add on via wifi. Once they're added on via the ethernet connection they work through wifi, but they won't join the network without being physically connected. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, and Mediacom washed their hands of the problem after suggesting I reboot the router.

I'm thinking of buying a decent Netgear router and seeing if it's just this crappy Hitron router that Mediacom issued that's the problem. I suspect that buying more modern peripherals might solve the problem too. But I'm not doing that. I'll replace them as they break down, and in the meantime I'll just stick with my manual workaround.

However, if I was in your boat with just an inkjet printer being the problem, I'd probably replace it with a color laser printer, whenever I could find one on sale. My most recent one at a different house is a Canon C480FW that I got for under $200. I turned off the auto-toner buying feature, and have also discovered that you can bypass the warning of end of life on the toners. I'm probably 500 pages past the notifications, and everything is still working fine. I'll replace the cartridges when the colors start looking funky.

This morning I was lucky (it's a crap shoot) to get the printer to connect to the network. I still could not enable web services from the printer to do a firmware update, but I was able to get HP Account Software onto my desktop that allowed me to update the printers firmware. We'll see if this is the solution, although I am by no means confident all will be good in the future.

Thank you everyone for the comments and recommendations.

+1 for Brother Laser Printer.

I have a Brother MFC-L2700DW black & white laser printer/scanner/fax and it has been bulletproof running on my Orbi mesh network with our 4 MacBooks.

A bonus is the very low cost of toner refills as I use Arthur Imaging refills available on Amazon.

This is the lowest cost solution I have ever experienced for a printer. Of course, it is B&W only, which is fine for me.

Good luck with your search.

I love my HPLaserJet Pro M29w Wireless printer, copier, scanner.
No fax. Black/white.
$139 Amazon now.

I wanted a really tiny printer for low use on first floor. Main printer in lower level office. This fit perfectly.
Connects well.
I took a chance that I could use generic toners from Amazon. Did NOT want to buy into their subscription service. Has worked just fine.

I love being able to see something online while in living room and send it to printer three rooms away. Im retired, I get to be lazy😉

Perhaps it is he Nest mesh device itself? - you have a main wifi router that is connected to you ISP, then a Nest (brand name) mesh extender? Try another mesh device - I tried a couple, and the ATT $40 mesh device was waaaay better than the other one.

Perhaps you can relocate the mesh device to better service your printer? - you can move the mesh device anywhere there is a power outlet, right?

You can't beat laser printers. Fast, forget about carts drying out.
Toner cartridge, last forever.
I use HP, printers. But I'm sure the competition is just as good.
Laser printers been around forever. Not rocket science.
Good luck.

I have an older Brother CW490 all-in-one printer and it has never given me issues other than going offline, but, that's an easy fix. And, Brother supports ALL problems that may arise for the life of the printer, free of charge, over the phone. I'd certainly buy another Brother all-in-one again if needed. I buy OEM cartridges from Ebay as long as the packaging box they come in states the expiration date as proof of age (some people try to sell cartridges that are VERY expired so unless they come with the box, I won't buy them). Even if expired by a year or two, they still work perfectly. I'm not a fan of the comparable cartridges for real cheap. I usually get good pricing there.

You can't beat laser printers. Fast, forget about carts drying out.
Toner cartridge, last forever.
I use HP, printers. But I'm sure the competition is just as good.
Laser printers been around forever. Not rocket science.
Good luck.

I have an HP 1012 Laserjet. It has worked great, but then they stopped supporting the software, I searched long and hard and found someone say the software for a different printer worked pretty well with the HP1012. So I have had that software for years with only minor problems. After a recent Windows update, my computer cannot find either my HP1012 or my HPC3150. I didn't have a Restore point far enough back to fix the update problem. I still may be able to get the computer to find them. However the HP 1012 and C3150 are both getting close to 15 years old. Maybe it's time, to "Blow that dough" :)

+1 for brother all in one laser printer. Im done with inkjet printers where the rxpensive ink dries and the printer becomes unusable.
The wireless printing is great.

Love the AirPrint, where I can print documents pictures etc directly from the iPhone rather than having to go to the laptop.

I have an HP 1012 Laserjet. It has worked great, but then they stopped supporting the software, I searched long and hard and found someone say the software for a different printer worked pretty well with the HP1012. So I have had that software for years with only minor problems. After a recent Windows update, my computer cannot find either my HP1012 or my HPC3150. I didn't have a Restore point far enough back to fix the update problem. I still may be able to get the computer to find them. However the HP 1012 and C3150 are both getting close to 15 years old. Maybe it's time, to "Blow that dough" :)

I not only have a 1012, I have an old HP 4L in a storage cabinet. That workhorse belongs in a museum, hasn't been used for many years. Still worked great the last time it was used...

Back
Top Bottom