Norton Core Secure Wi-Fi Router

DektolMan

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking to upgrade my router and received an email for $100 off the Norton Core. https://us.norton.com/core

It includes 1 yr subscription to Norton Security and after that $9.99 per month.

Any thoughts on this product?

Just wanted to add that my other option I was considering was the Apple Airport Extreme.

Thanks

Last edited:
The product description is rather high on marketing-speak, low on details. As best as I can tell, the added value over other premium routers is somehow monitoring devices on your network for “unusual” activity and “quarantining” them, whatever that means. The rest of the features are found in other routers.

I am a Norton Security user, but I think I would balk at paying $120/year for ongoing service. (I buy Norton Security 10-device for $30 each year.) I’m skeptical of the claims for strong signal support with internal antennas - my past experience with such has not been promising. The Ethernet ports on the bottom are a bit problematic and there are only four of them - most routers in this price range have six or eight.

Then there’s the issue of firmware updates and keeping current - Norton’s behavior here is unknown, though other router makers tend to stop updates after a few months except in unusual circumstances. Seems a decent router for $180 ($100 off), but the ongoing costs are an issue.

Norton is not known as a router company. However, if you are interested in the AV subscription service, this appears to be a good combination. I looked at the specs and I like the processor speed. It is dual band, supporting the latest standards. And certainly the $100 off is good. PC Mag loved it. You can buy a subscription from Norton if you want/need VPN.

You have not stated whether you have a big house/small house, how many devices you have connected wirelessly and wired.

PS I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 to replace my 6 year old Netgear which replaced my 2006 Netgear router. I still use the oldest one as an 8 port switch. The new one cost $229. It can easily handle 20 plus devices at a time although not all are wireless and not all are streaming. Coverage for house is great. It is so good that I have removed my range extenders.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. House is 2400 sq ft, 4 computers, 2 Ipads, 2 iPhones.
All Apple products.

Just replaced my working router. A Linksys, by Cisco. Using more "laptops" was causing a problem.

Long story short. Bought a "cheapo" TP link, 450 Mbps, wireless N, TL-WR940N. I think under $30. On Amazon.

Was concerned as far as quality/reliability. But looking at the hundreds of happy "verified" amazon users, decided to give it a shot.

Installed on 9/21/17. So far working great. 2 PCs, 2-3 laptops, TV.
All units not on at the same time.

I'd like to ditch my Dish, currently we have Xfinity cable computer and land phone line. DW won't give up landline and Xfinity has exclusive rights here in township.

I believe in order to use Amazon Firestick, I must up grade my my cable modem and wifi router, and I want to purchase one instead of the monthly lease.

Any suggestions? We live in a 2 story brick 2500sf house on a 1 acre lot. Seperate shop in the "south 40."
Thanks to all in advance. I do use Norton on all my devices.

Last edited:
Winemaker, I assume your comment about upgrading the router is to get better WiFi coverage. As I wrote above, I'm skeptical that the Norton router would cover as well as those with external antennae. You might also find that a "mesh router" solution (Eero, Linksys Velop, etc.) might work well for you. I'd suggest not buying a router with integrated cable modem - get them separately.

Thanks, Jonat. Any suggestions there? It's all Greek to me.

If I follow with the Netgear Night hawk router above, then I need a cable modem... or is that what Eero et al, provides?

The Asus Sojourner mentions is a good router. I have the Linksys EA9500 and it is trouble-free with a great signal. I'm soured on Netgear routers, including an earlier Nighthawk, as they kept failing on me.

Eero is one of the "mesh router" systems, where you have two or more routers around your house and they talk to each other. They're more expensive than a standard router, but can be helpful if you have signal issues far away from the router. A "range extender" is another option (and cheaper.)

The cable modem is yet another thing. Something like this for best performance.

About 60', but I have an extender now on the first floor, the wifi router is in basement. If this arrangement works, I'll put the extender on the deck, in hope of reaching the shop. Or put the extender in the shop.

We don't have/use any devices on the second floor, except an occasional cell phone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom