Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So how do people feel about using Touch-ID and Face-ID to logon to apps?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Face-ID on the iPhone works superbly. Works nicely with LastPass too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I feel great!

From a security standpoint, I think it’s secure enough. My one frustration has been that FaceID doesn’t work with masks and I have to use my passcode when i’m public. The next iOS release is going to support FaceID with masks using an Apple Watch. I’m looking forward to that update.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
It depends how they arrive at the salt value. The salt is designed to prevent a pre calculated rainbow table attack, which is basically what you are describing. If the salt is unknown to the attacker the hashes are secure.
True. I was going with "worst case scenario", where the bad guys get the salt when they steal the hashes. That's not a foregone conclusion, but you might imagine if they're rummaging around with database access, they might leave with salt as well as the hashes. It's much less useful for rainbow tables if the salt is different for each set of credentials, which I think is best practice. I'm not sure how wide that practice has become.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Vanguard 2FA requires a text message. I am out of cell phone range while at home so they set my accounts up to not use 2FA. Hopefully, this is temporary. My cell company keeps saying they will have phone over internet any day now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
They also have an option to provide a physical security key that plugs into a USB port on your PC or laptop

https://investor.vanguard.com/security-center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Thanks. I don't recall them saying anything about a security key and this whole 2FA thing just was put in place on my account in December.
I ordered a security key ($24 with NFC) through Amazon and got it set up today. I called Vanguard and the rep didn't have a clue. I told him to search on "security key" and he found it. He told me they had just starting using them at the end of last year. I don't think that was accurate. Anyway, he could not help me, but I managed to get it working. I had to use my Google phone to get it set up, but should not need to use it further. I don't trust Google a whole lot when it comes to information security. I have not tried it for transferring money from Vanguard to my bank account, but I am hoping it will work fine.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote