Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2022, 12:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You people with a 15+ year old plasma TV that think it still has a great picture...if you also have a LCD TV less than 5 years old I dare you to compare them side-by-side. I think your opinion of the picture on the plasma TV will be downgraded.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
You people with a 15+ year old plasma TV that think it still has a great picture...if you also have a LCD TV less than 5 years old I dare you to compare them side-by-side. I think your opinion of the picture on the plasma TV will be downgraded.
So..I have a functional TV with a good picture..not sure why that bothers you, if a person wants the best picture you'd literally be throwing out your TV every couple years.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Whenever we go to Costco, I always look at the displayed TVs near the entrance. Wow, nice picture. And look, prices so cheap too!

Then, I recall that we hardly turn ours on at home.

OK. Let's walk down to the back to get the rotisserie chicken and get outta here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Most LCD HDTVs less than 5 years old will still have much narrower viewing angles, slower response/refresh rates & inferior black levels than a 15 year old plasma HDTV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Most LCD HDTVs less than 5 years old will still have much narrower viewing angles, slower response/refresh rates & inferior black levels than a 15 year old plasma HDTV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma
My comment was to put them side by side and compare the picture.

The things you list might be true, but:

Most people don't sit 40 degrees off axis when they view a TV. They pretty much sit directly in front of the TV.

Most people (all?) will not notice a difference response/refresh rates unless they are watching a hockey puck being shot at 90 mph.

Most people will not be able to discern that an LED TV has inferior black levels to a plasma TV. In fact, most people don't give a hoot about incremental, machine measurable black level differences. The latest QLED TV's have excellent black levels. Of course the OLED TV's are the best for black levels.

Any person that compares them side-by-side will be able to see the plasma TV is darker and and not as sharp looking as the LCD TV. Plasma TV's give off heat in waves and burn electricity like the Las Vegas strip.

Most (all?) people with LCD TV's don't have to worry about image burn in.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So..I have a functional TV with a good picture..not sure why that bothers you, if a person wants the best picture you'd literally be throwing out your TV every couple years.
I'm not bothered that you think your plasma TV has a good picture.

I didn't say the goal was to have the best picture possible.

I'm saying if you put your plasma TV next to a newer LCD TV you would throw out your plasma TV.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:10 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately we don't view televisions side by side in our home. So whatever we thought was a good choice in the store, whatever criteria you used, it looks great at home. Choosing a TV based primarily on side by side in a store could be a costly mistake.

And televisions always look wonderful in stores because they use specially chosen content that shows the TV at it's best (would look great on any TV), they punch up brightness and contrast plus vivid mode, and the store lighting is optimal for television. Furthermore if you don't choose a good location for your TV in your home, it might not show well - not an issue in a retail store.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:03 PM   #28

I'm just going to quit right here. I never said to compare them side-to-side in the store. I know all about the selective video clips they make to showcase their TV's and the fact that they punch up the color and sharpness. I said if you put a halfway decent LCD TV next to your old plasma TV the picture quality difference would be obvious.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #29

I'm in the same camp as pb4uski... We have a 2008 Sony 40" LCD that won't die.... Still looks good enough that I don't want to blow the dough to replace something that works well. But when it dies, I'll get a bigger OLED. I like tv, watch a lot of it. I'm sure I'd agree, watching side by side with a better tv, that the better tv is nice... but I'm too cheap frugal to replace a perfectly functional tv.

On the subject of costco warranty... we've had good luck with the costco warranty on our LG fridge. It had a dud icemaker. They repaired it twice, then even after it was out of warranty (by 2 months) they replaced it - because the tech said they should have replaced it on the previous visit (when it *was* still on warranty). The only confusing part was the paper work changed when it switched from the 2 year costco warranty to the 2 year extended warranty because we'd used the citi/costco visa to pay for it. But it was the same service shop.
Our 65" LG OLED Wall Mounted TV is a lemon
Old 07-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Our 65" LG OLED Wall Mounted TV is a lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm in the same camp as pb4uski... We have a 2008 Sony 40" LCD that won't die.... Still looks good enough that I don't want to blow the dough to replace something that works well. But when it dies, I'll get a bigger OLED. I like tv, watch a lot of it. I'm sure I'd agree, watching side by side with a better tv, that the better tv is nice... but I'm too cheap frugal to replace a perfectly functional tv.

I feel similarly with another reason. My current TV (2016 50” Samsung) and audio is sized perfectly for the room it’s in. I don’t want the TV to dominate that area. If I get a larger TV I suppose I’d locate it in a larger room on a different floor but I’m not craving a real home theater to rival the actual theaters. Guess I’m just a low-key person.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #31

the Costco concierge/technical service is complicated, had to send multiple e-mails with 8 attached pictures as well as answer 8 questions. All I know is our LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV -went blank. The screen went black. There is no power. It's not easy taking pictures of the back of the TV when it's wall mounted. I've made 5 calls to Costco. I keep getting e-mails from them asking for more information. If we are lucky, we may get a service technician here, I do not know when. They are apologetic in the letters which are nice, but it's not getting my TV fixed. BTW, we're going on 2 weeks now for answers and repairs.

Who said the customer service at Costco was fantastic?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We have the same problem with thee same vintage Sony. It seemed big enough back then. I also had a Trinitron that wouldn't die.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm just going to quit right here. I never said to compare them side-to-side in the store. I know all about the selective video clips they make to showcase their TV's and the fact that they punch up the color and sharpness. I said if you put a halfway decent LCD TV next to your old plasma TV the picture quality difference would be obvious.

Ok but we are just telling you are saving money!!! I thought that was a good thing. but I have commented to DH why won't that old plasma just die already.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

rodi thats me and everyone in my immediate family has a better tv so I couldn't even give it away...so we wait!!!
Old 07-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ +1 I'm watching a 47" Vizio right now that we bought from Costco in Sept 2008 that I have been hoping that it would die for a number of years now so I can replace it with a bigger one.

All of our tvs are wall mounted with swivel mounts, so getting to the SN is easy.
Sounds exactly like one of our old TVs a 2006 Sony Bravia 40” KDL- 40V2500 - still going strong though not “smart.” In our exercise room used almost daily.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Who said the customer service at Costco was fantastic?
I don't think anyone said their service was fantastic. It has been pointed out they have an additional year or two added on to the factory warranty.

Although I guess in your situation that is a difference without a distinction.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #37

I still have a 2010-ish 46" Panny plasma that has great picture (I thought), until I got my 2017 55" LG OLED 4 years ago. There's no comparison, the LG is way better and more importantly it's 4K which looks awesome for my Xbox games.

I did have a panel burn-in issue with mine a year and a half ago, out of warranty of course. It wasn't a logo or image burn-in, it was a greenish blob in the middle of the screen that was visible with certain colors. I tweeted to LG customer support via a recommendation from an avsforum.com thread about these and LG replaced it 'as a one-time courtesy'. They shipped a new panel out and sent a tech to replace it, then shipped the old panel back. All on their dime and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. So they knew they had problems with the early panels, I hope the new one will last longer and I'm not sure I'd buy another LG OLED if it doesn't.

So OP if Costco doesn't come through, try LG customer support - they do take care of out of warranty issues if they're common.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
You should put surge protectors between the TV and the plug. At our condo in Florida where power surges are frequent during electrical storms, all electronics and appliances are on surge protectors.
I have a probably overpriced home theater powerbar with surge protection by Monster Power. Since I have nearly $4,000 of equipment plugged into it, it gives me added reassurance. My former work colleague’s wife told me a tree in their yard got hit by lightning and it sounded like an explosion. She said it blew out every electronic device in their home except 2 items. I doubt a surge protector could have prevented that kind of freak massive surge, but for other more common scenarios, I think they are useful.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:15 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We have a honkin' great big tv in our bedroom, shoehorned into an old English armoire wardrobe I modified by pushing the back out several inches and adding a shelf. Haven't turned it on in several years but haven't changed it out either - it is of the cathode ray tube design and weighs something like 100#. Embarrassed to say I just don't think I can pry it out of the wardrobe and pack it down the stairs at this point in my life. Bedrooms are for sleeping anyway..
Old 07-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I still have a 2010-ish 46" Panny plasma that has great picture (I thought), until I got my 2017 55" LG OLED 4 years ago. There's no comparison, the LG is way better and more importantly it's 4K which looks awesome for my Xbox games.

I did have a panel burn-in issue with mine a year and a half ago . . .
Interesting, I also replaced an old Panasonic plasma tv that still looked good I thought with a 55" LG OLED 4K tv in 2017. It is definitely a much better picture. Fortunately, I have not had screen burn in despite running the TV way too many hours a day.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote