outdoor security camera

If you have an outside outlet somewhere near where you want to put the camera, it comes with a very long power cord, at least 20 feet.

So basically even if the thief cuts that cord, the video has already been uploaded to the cloud.

I will go to Best Buy and have a look in person.

If you are going through the trouble to install dummies, it is just as easy to install real ones, and more rewarding.
At the time it was quick, easy and cheap. $30 for 5 cameras, two screws to mount them, and the deterrent was in place. No need to worry about power and networking issues.

I do have a camera inside that covers everything and I use it to keep an eye on things when we are not home.

Maybe I will spring for real cameras someday but where we are there's not a lot of issues and plenty of neighbors that keep an eye on things!

At the time it was quick, easy and cheap. $30 for 5 cameras, two screws to mount them, and the deterrent was in place. No need to worry about power and networking issues.

I do have a camera inside that covers everything and I use it to keep an eye on things when we are not home.

Maybe I will spring for real cameras someday but where we are there's not a lot of issues and plenty of neighbors that keep an eye on things!

I agree, the Nest doorbell will be the only outside camera we have. I do like the 2 inside cameras, one for monitoring the front door and seeing how much mail is building up, the other in the back room looking at the patio windows and through to the garden outside.

I am leaning strongly toward Ring Doorbell gen1 for its ease of install.

I like the Nest from what I have seen, but I have no idea how to run the cable into the house. It looks like it is a flat cable so I could possibly run it through front door "gap".

You may also want to take a look at Arlo Pro cameras. They are completely wireless and cordless, weatherproof, and only record video when triggered by motion. I installed several of these around my house (and one inside), and the rechargeable batteries in each one lasts for months and months before needing a recharge. They can be configured to turn on and off (i.e., start and stop motion detection) when your cell phone reaches a certain distance from your house. I love this feature, since it assures me that my house is being watched whenever I'm away. My cell phone receives an alert any time motion is detected, and I can easily view the 30-second clip of whatever triggered the alert. These video clips are saved in the cloud for 7 days, and this level of video storage is free. Motion detection sensitivity can be customized so that it won't trigger, for example, if a bee flies in front of the camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-NETGEAR-Add-Security-Camera/dp/B01MDIYVI9/

I use WEMO and would not recommend them. Periodically they seem to loose the WIFI signal. Pain. Have also a Samsung, which has never given me a problem.

I bought a Ring Doorbell. It's okay.

I expected too much from its motion detector.

I want to buy a system which continuously records to a hard drive not just when motion is detected.

I ended up buying two Vimtag B3-S outdoor security cameras.
Recording 24/7 to high endurance microSD cards.
They can also record to their proprietary server.

The 1080p video quality is great.

One problem with CCTV is having enough cameras. One or two don't cut it for my two story house with 2 double garages. I want all areas including my driveway to be covered.

Then you need to place the cameras where anyone entering your home or the perimeter is recorded without getting into areas of privacy. You don't need cameras where owners will be recorded in compromised positions.

And cameras need positioned high where they cannot be easily reached, but visible to the public as a deterrent to crime. Fortunately, prices are quite reasonable on systems with DVRs and as many as 10 cameras.

You may also want to take a look at Arlo Pro cameras. They are completely wireless and cordless, weatherproof, and only record video when triggered by motion. I installed several of these around my house (and one inside), and the rechargeable batteries in each one lasts for months and months before needing a recharge. They can be configured to turn on and off (i.e., start and stop motion detection) when your cell phone reaches a certain distance from your house. I love this feature, since it assures me that my house is being watched whenever I'm away. My cell phone receives an alert any time motion is detected, and I can easily view the 30-second clip of whatever triggered the alert. These video clips are saved in the cloud for 7 days, and this level of video storage is free. Motion detection sensitivity can be customized so that it won't trigger, for example, if a bee flies in front of the camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-NETGEAR-Add-Security-Camera/dp/B01MDIYVI9/

I just installed three of these last week. Super easy to set up and amazing video.

Back
Top Bottom