Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Keepass fan here!
leoc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like LastPass also. I do not allow it to store passwords for my checking or savings accounts though.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
keepass for me. It does all I want and I do not need to store my passwords on the computer or in the cloud. (You can store your PW on the computer or in the cloud if you like)

I use a thumb drive which I can hide or place in a safe and not be concerned about the cloud storage being hacked or my computer stolen. If you elect to use it by storing your passwords on a thumb drive, it would be wise to get a high quality thumb drive either Kingston or Iron Key since they seem to be more reliable. Also, create a backup thumb drive, which I think can be a less expensive thumb drive brand.
Thumbdrives are so cheap now it's not an issue at all.Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive $4.38
The 16 GB one is $6.97

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive &#40T100G3/8GB)-Newegg.com
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Thumbdrives are so cheap now it's not an issue at all.Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive $4.38
The 16 GB one is $6.97

Kingston 8GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive &#40T100G3/8GB)-Newegg.com
There are many Kingstons. I would suggest that for passwords and confidential items, a person would purchase one that has the type of protection that this model provides. Unfortunately, I think when you purchase that protection, the drive will be on the more expensive side. But, the decision is based upon your level of concern, obviously.

Kingston's DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 (DTVP 3.0) USB flash drive provides affordable business-grade security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption using XTS block cipher mode, which offers stronger protection than CBC and ECB modes. It protects 100 per cent of stored data and enforces complex password protection with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access. For additional peace of mind, the drive locks down and reformats after 10 intrusion attempts. It also features a read-only access mode to avoid potential malware risks.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

LastPass often fails for me, in different ways. Sometimes it fails to autologin, sometimes it will only enter in the user name. I usually have to click the wrench icon and copy and paste.

For example, sometimes, like right now, it doesn't do anything at a particular login screen. Other times it has its little icons in the text boxes, but if I click the icon in the icon in the user name box, the icon just changes to an "x." If I click the icon in the password box, it works.

Others don't see things like that??
Old 11-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #26

I use norton's password manager. it is a little glitcy, but works on all my platforms

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
There are many Kingstons. I would suggest that for passwords and confidential items, a person would purchase one that has the type of protection that this model provides. Unfortunately, I think when you purchase that protection, the drive will be on the more expensive side. But, the decision is based upon your level of concern, obviously.

Kingston's DataTraveler Vault Privacy 3.0 (DTVP 3.0) USB flash drive provides affordable business-grade security with 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption using XTS block cipher mode, which offers stronger protection than CBC and ECB modes. It protects 100 per cent of stored data and enforces complex password protection with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access. For additional peace of mind, the drive locks down and reformats after 10 intrusion attempts. It also features a read-only access mode to avoid potential malware risks.
KeePass is already encrypted.
Now if someone stores passwords in .txt files or .xls files, then they would be safer with an encrypted drive.

Some Windows versions include bit locker which can turn a thumb drive into an encrypted drive.

I use Linux and it allows me to turn any thumb drive into an encrypted one.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:36 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies. Been on LastPass now for 3 days with no issues and really like it. 50+ websites now with no-repeating, strong passwords.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
LastPass often fails for me, in different ways. Sometimes it fails to autologin, sometimes it will only enter in the user name. I usually have to click the wrench icon and copy and paste.

For example, sometimes, like right now, it doesn't do anything at a particular login screen. Other times it has its little icons in the text boxes, but if I click the icon in the icon in the user name box, the icon just changes to an "x." If I click the icon in the password box, it works.

What browser are you using? I use firefox and haven't seen those issues. Do you have the autologin box checked for all the websites in your LastPass vault? I believe it's off by default, you can look in your LastPass vault and click on any website to verify if the autologin box is checked. Some browsers have there own password/login vault and can cause conflicts, I would make sure it's disabled if using LastPass.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rodent View Post
I've been very satisfied using LastPass on my desktop and tablet. Haven't put it on my phone yet. Just last week, they made it free for mobile devices. It syncs across all your devices.
I use LastPass too, but I am wondering if there is something better out there.
Lately, I have encountered situations where the site asks for me to input my current password when I try to change it, and LastPass doesn't help me in this situation. Basically, I can log in (via LastPass) but I cannot change the current password to something else... How to go about this situation?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Yes, I have encountered some issues with LastPass not filling out the username/passwords. Sometimes it fills out the username with wrong usernames. I use Chrome.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #32

My experience with auto-logon and copy/paste is that some sites do not allow it. For those not familiar with Yodlee, for some reason it has many different formats of data presentation to choose from. While trying to log-on with Keepass, some of their 'formats' allowed auto-type and some did not. Can't tell you why. Just can tell you it was not Keepass. It was the set up that Yodlee selected that did not allow for auto-type or copy and paste in one of their selected formats.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I tried to use TradeKing, but their site won't allow cut and paste type of entry for the password, if you have been off the site for a few weeks.
Instead they force you to manually mouse click on a popup keyboard.

It was such an annoyance that I closed the account.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I tried to use TradeKing, but their site won't allow cut and paste type of entry for the password, if you have been off the site for a few weeks.
Instead they force you to manually mouse click on a popup keyboard.

It was such an annoyance that I closed the account.
I was considering closing Yodlee for the same reason but since they have 4 formats of presenting the data, they directed me to one of the other formats. Since that worked, I stayed with them.

Sunset, as you know, with a good password, it is almost impossible to use it without copying it. You would think all end use sites would recognize that!