Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
To each, his own. I think that an important part of parenting is teaching independence. And buying luxuries for young adults doesn't meet that definition for me. But, they are your kids, spend away as you like.
Definitely and I understand but that lesson can be learned in a variety of ways. My 22 year old has a measly job and he's about to start an internship that will pay him nothing. So we pick what we feel will give him the best opportunities to be independent. 20 bucks a month imo is a great trade off for him to get real life experience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #62

We have a few years before we have to figure this out, but right now at $90/month for four lines at t-mobile, I don't see how it could be much cheaper. The two additional lines for our kids cost $9/month each.

As for phones, we gave them $300 each for their first phones and since then they have pay for their own phones.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:41 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kids need to pay their own bills after college, period. I think parents that subsidize them are not doing them any favors. My sister is in her early 50s and still is a financial mess because people would bail her out in the past and pay for stuff and she became entitled to expect it.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
To each, his own. I think that an important part of parenting is teaching independence. And buying luxuries for young adults doesn't meet that definition for me. But, they are your kids, spend away as you like.
There was a time that your grandfather (Great grandfather, whatever) would have said "that car is a luxury". Personally, I can't imagine not having a cell phone in todays day and age. But maybe that's just the engineer/technical background in me.

And thanks for the permission!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
There was a time that your grandfather (Great grandfather, whatever) would have said "that car is a luxury". Personally, I can't imagine not having a cell phone in todays day and age. But maybe that's just the engineer/technical background in me.

And thanks for the permission!
You are welcome.

But it is not "just a cell phone", is it? God forbid that Sunshine would have a mere Android smartphone or, shudder, a flip phone. Mommy and Daddy need to buy her the latest iPhone because all her friends have one, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #66

Quote:
You are welcome.

But it is not "just a cell phone", is it? God forbid that Sunshine would have a mere Android smartphone or, shudder, a flip phone. Mommy and Daddy need to buy her the latest iPhone because all her friends have one, too.
wait how old are we talking sorry but my sons stop wanting some thing because their friends had one when they were in jr high.

not sure the last time you went cell phone shopping but I'm on sprint and usually when it's upgrade time, we can get decent cell phones at competitive prices.

now I'll agree, I'm not getting a flip phone simply because I do, use my phone for a number of other things.

So 3 phones, nice samsungs, 1 contract is cheaper than 3 separate plans.

I guess I'm not seeing the blanket correlation of helping kids out=not raising independent adults.

My parents took all the kids and grand kids on a family cruise, all expense paid until they died. they paid my college tuition and law school for 1 brother. I don't think we turned into "entitled" adults.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #67

If you are using a flip phone maybe you still:

Have a still camera
Have a video camera
Have a flashlight
Have a Dictionary
Have a Calculator
Have a set of Encyclopedias
Go to the library
Go to the bank
Read the Newspaper
Write Letters
Have photo albums
Have a Wall Calendar
Have a Sony Walkman
Have a VCR
Use a Paper Map or GPS

All of this has been replaced by a simple but powerful tool in your pocket. There is a reason everyone has one. Might as well obtain it at the cheapest possible price by splitting the cost with members of your family.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
You are welcome.

And you know the type of phone how? You're response and assumption betrays your attitude, and therefore will get all the attention it deserves.......
Old 12-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
........ sorry but my sons stop wanting some thing because their friends had one when they were in jr high.
You've got some great kids. Heck, I still want stuff because my friends have one.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #70
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post

Have a still camera
Have a video camera
Have a flashlight
Have a Dictionary
Have a Calculator
Go to the library
Go to the bank
Read the Newspaper
Write Letters
Have photo albums
Have a Wall Calendar
Have a Sony Walkman
Have a VCR
Use a Paper Map or GPS

All of this has been replaced by a simple but powerful tool in your pocket. There is a reason everyone has one. Might as well obtain it at the cheapest possible price by splitting the cost with members of your family.
Wow, what a novel idea! Yes, my DD, who I gladly leave on my plan for $9.95/month, graduated from a University in the "required" 4 years (God forbid I would have to help her if she took an extra semester ). I think she has turned out OK despite my lavishly helping her out with a 10 spot for her phone each month.

When I have to forego these kinds of things so I can retire early, I'll just keep working.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I paid for the cell until they graduated college. Now while still on my cell plan, they pay cost. Have also made college grads get their own health insurance, despite being able to stay on my plan till 26. Two kids completely off the payroll, one to go (one more year of college)
LiveBelowMeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm yet another in the "why not pay" camp. Even though I use Verizon (read expensive) I pay for my kids lines. I my case $15/kid. Our 10Gb data/unlimited talk & text plan easily covers everyone. I pay $140/mnth rather than $110 if just me and DW. I'm in no rush to save that kind of money if it helps out. An extra $180/yr/kid is really a very small gift.

Even worse I pay for Amazon prime and have my kids on the plan...
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #73

[QUOTE

Even worse I pay for Amazon prime and have my kids on the plan...[/QUOTE]

Me too-- the girls get free shipping and sometimes log in as me to use the video streaming. But only the free shows, they don't rent videos on my account.

They also use my Netflix login and HBOGo subscription. And the youngest doesn't have cable tv, but will occasionally watch ours with the Slingbox.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Have a still camera
Have a video camera
Have a flashlight
Have a Dictionary
Have a Calculator
Go to the library
Go to the bank
Read the Newspaper
Write Letters
Have photo albums
Have a Wall Calendar
Have a Sony Walkman
Have a VCR
Use a Paper Map or GPS

Just a couple of points on this....

The phone cannot take as good of a picture as my Nikon.... it is great for some, but not for really good pics...

The GPS does not work when there is no signal... when we were driving around Montana DWs phone had no signal.... the GPS worked just fine...

Yep, use flashlights when I need them.... the phone just does not have enough battery to do all that people try to do.... I hate it when I DO want to use DWs phone for a GPS and she complains that it is running down her battery... even if we have it plugged in!!!

I never want to use a phone as a TV.... I like BIG... I have a 65 inch.... with DVR...

Just sayin....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Paying for kid's cell phones
Old 12-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #75

Paying for kid's cell phones

Gotcha. I like big too. Really I use the phone to find the movies out in the sky somewhere and then send it over wirelessly to the big screen tv.

Also, I should add, the phone GPS works without cell signal with google maps.

But really I would get rid of the cell phone and my whole list just to go swim in a lake or something like that.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
We have 5 on a family plan that's $300/mo but that includes some addl devices (not mine!). My share is 30/mo. Kids pay their own share since leaving undergrad. I don't think we have any data hogs in the family so it's pretty easy to share. The girls priced going out on their own and it was a powerful incentive to stay on the family plan. They get free phones every 2 yrs also.
Similar.

Once they graduated college they have to start paying us for their portion of the cell phone bill + any devices purchased. It's still cheaper for them as the added charge per line is less than they would pay with an individual plan.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Have a still camera
Have a video camera
Have a flashlight
Have a Dictionary
Have a Calculator
Go to the library
Go to the bank
Read the Newspaper
Write Letters
Have photo albums
Have a Wall Calendar
Have a Sony Walkman
Have a VCR
Use a Paper Map or GPS

There are advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately, use anyone of those functions and forget to plug that one device in overnight, or not have access to power for a day, and all those functions go away.

I no longer have a flip phone but the big advantage was it keeping power without being plugged in for over a week.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #78

I made a deal with both kids that their phones went on contracts in their own names when they went to college. We paid for the basic service and they could add on whatever they wanted and could afford. Doing that along with utilities in their own names (but we paid) was a way to help establish good Fico scores for them. Six months after graduation or immediately upon quitting school and those subsidies stopped. Seems to have worked out well, both graduated with honors and they're both coming 'home' for Christmas.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add one to the group that didn't pay for kids cell phones. This was one of those things we used to help them learn how to work part time and be independent. Each kid chose to buy their own phone in high school using money they earned at part time jobs. Some of them were on our plans for awhile but they repaid us the fees. One cost that we did pay for was basic liability on their car insurance (they bought their own cars in high school). But as soon as they completed college and entered work force, we transitioned all of their costs to them.
Whisper66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #80
gone traveling

So, we make our kids pay $50, $60....$80 more per month for their own plan to "teach them good finance, planning and independence"....