Join Early Retirement Today

PC > Mac Horror Stories? What you wish you’d known in advance?
Old 05-25-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos, but those guys are mostly paid tech folks. Just wondered if there was anything others here learned or wish they’d known before actually going PC > Mac?

DW and I are switching to an Apple laptop and iMac in the next few months after using nothing but Windows (and CPM, MS-DOS before) since Bill Gates was in Junior High! We have tons of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, pictures, MP3, MP4/MOV, past TurboTax files, and other files we’d like to keep.

It appears the Apple Migration Assistant will handle the file transfer via WiFi pretty easily. I’m not at all concerned about any of it aside from some XLS files that Numbers won’t be able to handle. Pages & Keynote are good enough for us, we might have to buy/subscribe to Excel. I’m not clear on what losing PC iTunes will mean, but I’m sure we won’t lose our music library (about 2600 songs). We’ve been using iPhones & iPads for years so our contacts, email, calendars and reminders are on iCloud or web based - so no worries there. [I realize no Applications will transfer, though Mac versions exist for many/most]

I’m also not clear what the Apple file/folder structure will look like. Will it mimic our PC folders, or change them?

I’ve begun to familiarize myself with the idiosyncrasies of Mac OS versus Windows.

In any event, we’re migrating come what may.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The switch will be very easy for you. I switched about nine years ago and never looked back. File structure should be the same as Windows. I keep everything on ICloud with a local backup on the drive but that’s my preference. TurboTax works fine on the Mac. Quicken has a Mac version that is not quite as feature rich as the Windows version but it does what I need.

Your songs will transfer into ITunes on the Mac without issue. I had Excel for Mac but eventually I found it easier to just use the built in Numbers app.

Once you switch to Mac you will not want to go back to Windows. It just works better.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Wish I could help you but I haven’t used Windows since the last century.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I transitioned about 10 years ago now. But I still have windows on two of my Macs for proprietary windows software. Win 10 Pro. Also still keep my Quicken on the windows side since I have it.

Mostly better in Mac IOS in my opinion. I would say took me about a year to feel comfortable. Google and Spotlight search will be your best friend. Lived in Outlook and Excel for years and didn't want to change so I pay for Office.

I use on add-on a friend got me started with called Clean My Mac. Thoroughly empties trash can, scans for malware, basically does the mac version of disc defrag. Not free, I think like $35. It also uninstalls and I find it sometimes a good place to look for files.

My biggest complaint with mac has been on hardware side. Not enough ports on the newest one, 2017, USB C only, so spend money on pricier peripherals.

On second or third power brick for my older two. But one is 10 years old the other six. Both were my road machines, so abused. But wiring jackets rotted to the point of no return so...Also miss the old mag-safe power connectors the old ones have. They saved my butt numerous times.

I spend a lot less time in file structure in Mac than on Windows it seems to me. But I kinda re-organized my self to a certain folder system that just evolved as I was transitioning. It all lives in Documents and I know how I work and think.

All in all though I'm glad I made the transition. Use the 2011 for movies and media server, but it also is my back-up if the 2015 craps out. Out of the country so want to make certain I have a plan B.
rt-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos, but those guys are mostly paid tech folks. Just wondered if there was anything others here learned or wish they’d known before actually going PC > Mac?

DW and I are switching to an Apple laptop and iMac in the next few months after using nothing but Windows (and CPM, MS-DOS before) since Bill Gates was in Junior High! We have tons of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, pictures, MP3, MP4/MOV, past TurboTax files, and other files we’d like to keep.

It appears the Apple Migration Assistant will handle the file transfer via WiFi pretty easily. I’m not at all concerned about any of it aside from some XLS files that Numbers won’t be able to handle. Pages & Keynote are good enough for us, we might have to buy/subscribe to Excel. I’m not clear on what losing PC iTunes will mean, but I’m sure we won’t lose our music library (about 2600 songs). We’ve been using iPhones & iPads for years so our contacts, email, calendars and reminders are on iCloud or web based - so no worries there. [I realize no Applications will transfer, though Mac versions exist for many/most]

I’m also not clear what the Apple file/folder structure will look like. Will it mimic our PC folders, or change them?

I’ve begun to familiarize myself with the idiosyncrasies of Mac OS versus Windows.

In any event, we’re migrating come what may.

Microsoft makes an Apple version of Office, which is what I use. As much as I am over Microsoft I love Excel. I also found Numbers to not be as robust as Excel. All of your excel files created in Microsoft excel will work in Microsoft’s Apple version of Office with zero issues. At least I have yet to have any problems and I have some massive and complex spreadsheets.

Most of the issues I had with the transition 9 years ago was with the keyboard and with the various shortcut commands. Those are easy enough to Google, like for instance Ctrl Alt Del.

If you have other Apple products i.e. iPhone iPad etc. you should love how seamless it is having all your devices in the same ecosphere. Additionally Keychain is a super password manager.

For me the phrase “once you go Mac you don’t go back” has been true…

YMMV
Old 05-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve been using a Mac for a long time - maybe 15 years. Most of my work software didn’t work well or at all on Mac OS. So I did my work at home on my work laptop.

Once I retired, I only used the Mac. In the old days, it could be difficult to find drivers etc to run peripherals, but I haven’t had any issues lately. That would be the only thing to look into - check to see if your software and peripherals are Mac compatible.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Keep your old PC around, just in case. You probably won’t miss it. Don’t retain that mentality that you really need a bunch of software that you downloaded or wrote over the years.

Chin up and make the move to Mac.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Apple is expected to be announcing a completely redesigned MacBook Pro this summer so I would hold off on buying a laptop at this point, unless you just go for a low end MacBook Air.

We just ordered the latest IMac to replace a MacBook Pro that we never travel with. One thing to keep in mind is that the IMac by default comes with a mouse while the laptops come with a trackpad. If you are going to buy both, you may want to consider buying the Trackpad for the IMac. If you order the IMac directly from Apple you can upgrade from mouse to Trackpad for $50. Otherwise you have to buy the mouse and then pay an extra $150 for the Trackpad.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #9

I switched about five years ago and found the switch to be very easy. I’ve gotten used to Numbers and Pages although there are a couple of commercial spreadsheets with macros that don’t work. Each app took some getting used to, but I learned to love ‘em.

At first my only regret was not making the Bootcamp partition larger but eventually I realized I wasn’t using any Windows programs any more and it was too much of a PITA keeping Windows updated so I just deleted it.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone, encouraging so far. I am definitely looking forward to having our desktop sync up and work seamlessly like the iPhone and iPads do, the sync with Windows is way too clunky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
TurboTax works fine on the Mac. Quicken has a Mac version that is not quite as feature rich as the Windows version but it does what I need.
I wasn’t worried about TT working, I was hoping my past return files would transfer and be found/recognized so I don’t have to re-enter all the past personal data, cost basis, fund names/CUSIPs, IRA deductible balances, carryovers, etc. That’s very handy every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready
Apple is expected to be announcing a completely redesigned MacBook Pro this summer so I would hold off on buying a laptop at this point, unless you just go for a low end MacBook Air.
Thanks. I’m following the phase out-in and the M1 is plenty capable for us. So the iMac 24” is all the desktop we (mostly me) need. And the only reason we might not go ahead with the M1 MacBook Pro 13” screen is too small, DW might wait for a 15-16” screen model.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #11

My DW has a 2010 MacBook Pro that still works great (after swapping the old HDD for an SSD). We’ve had many Windows laptops over the years, and very few lasted half that long. Enjoy!
Old 05-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #12

TurboTax for Mac has no problem reading and importing Windows data files. It can import either the data file itself or a PDF of the tax return.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #13

We use Crossover by https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover to run windows programs on a Mac. Check it out.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #14

Mac does not have "cut" feature. You can't do cut and paste with files in Finder or with text.

Mac by default protects system files (similar to being a normal user in linux) so there is little concern of you screwing up the system (no access to remove critical files). There is a high chance that you are an administrator by default on a windows machine if it is not managed by a domain with group policy, and so you can easy render the system if you are adventurous.

The default behavior on Mac, when a window is closed, the app is still running until you quit it. On windows usually the app will exit or minimize to the system tray when all of its windows are closed.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Mac does not have "cut" feature. You can't do cut and paste with files in Finder or with text.
You can copy and paste files or folders then delete the originals. Easier to drag and drop from one finder window to another. Or copy with command+C but paste with command+option+V.

I cut and paste text within documents all the time using the standard edit commands.

(Edit to add) It’s really handy to copy something to the clipboard on my iPhone or iPad and be able to simply paste it on the iMac.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:50 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

It was SO good to migrate. It makes so many things easy.

I did switch to Numbers, and there is a learning curve, but there are some benefits when you are done - like files can be worked on any of your apple devices if you put the file in the apple cloud and it updates across all of them. Does not transfer macros.

We also went with Mac Quicken - current version is much better today, and it works the apple way, just missing a couple of esoteric things we used in the windows quicken (stock options and retirement planner).
sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:51 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I switched to Macs for personal use many years ago but continued to use PCs on work issued computers until retirement. There apparently are PC-only programs still in use. I never used any so no issues. If you do, keep a PC around or maybe run something like “Parallels”, a PC emulator for Mac.

One thing I will warn you about. Although Excel, Word and Powerpoint can be converted back and forth with the Mac equivalents, it is not direct use. The Mac programs can open the MS programs but must be exported and converted back to use on PCs. The formatting is not always directly compatible but will not be lost - colors and fonts may not be exactly the same for instance. You may have to clean-up between the two. It was just not worth the hassle of “cleaning-up” formatting in file transfers back to MS so I continued to use the Mac versions for MS Office on my Mac until retirement when my need to share/collaborate with others pretty much ended. I now use the Mac Office apps - they meet my needs. You may want to subscribe to MS Office for awhile until you are comfortable with the Mac applications and the transfer of your files. If you regularly exchange files with those in the MS environment, you may want to continue using MS Office on the Mac.

Also, some just use Google apps (or others). As I said, the Mac applications meet my need and I am a big Mac fan but I do think the MS Office applications are still the best for a work/sharing environment.

Another area that will throw you is the file structure for Photos. You will not see photos filed in a normal file structure on the drive if you use the Mac Photos application. The file structure exists within the Photos application itself. You can get to the file, it is just different from your probable experience with the file system on a PC. Hard to explain until you use it.

I would never go back to PCs unless needed for work or extensive sharing/collaboration with PC users. I find Macs much more enjoyable to work with for personal use. Their applications/programs are well thought-out. Macs are great if you use Macs and other Apple products.
dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:14 AM   #18

Why switch to something like Pages or Numbers (always used a Mac, never used those) when there are "office suites" out there like Libre Office for free?
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
My DW has a 2010 MacBook Pro that still works great (after swapping the old HDD for an SSD). We’ve had many Windows laptops over the years, and very few lasted half that long. Enjoy!
Still using my 2011 MacBook Pro (upgraded to a SSD, of course) for all my computing needs.

Even have Parallels on it to run Windows.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:35 AM   #20

From the Internets:

How to Move Files or folders in Mac using keyboard shortcuts?

Now we know that we can press and hold Command + C keys to copy and then Command + V keys to paste. But there is also another shortcut that you can do to move the file or folder altogether. For that select the file or folder and use the copy shortcut, which is Command + C keys. After that while pasting the copied file in your desired location, press and hold Command + Options + V key. This will automatically move the file or folder entirely from the source location to your desired location.

To see it for yourself, you can try using the manual copy and paste option on Mac.

...First, select the file or folder you want to move and then go to the Menubar in Finder.

...Here go to Edit and click on the Copy option.

...Now go the location where you want to move that file or folder and then again go to the menubar in Finder.

...Now when you select Edit press on the Options key on your keyboard. You will see the Paste Item option change to Move Item here in the settings.

...Click on that option, and your file or folder will be moved.

(You sent me searching and I just learned the above myself, but I usually open two Finder windows on the screen and drag and drop.)