Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I use faxzero. They know my email address and the phone number I fax to, and the name I assign as the recipient. They might do OCR to read the contents of the fax, but I don't think their business model requires that; free for 2 pages or so, and a buck or two for more. I use the free all the time (if a the time means once a year, when I run into a process still in the stone age), but every so often, I need to send more pages, and pay. Oops, now they have my PayPal.
+1

FaxZero has been around for ages and works really well. I still use it on the (very) rare occasions I need to send a fax.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I have a landline and it certainly is helpful for faxing medical and sometimes legal docs.

And my printer is a fax.

It is for security. That's why medical folks use it.
+1

I am doing the Probate for my FIL. I was surprised how many institutions would either send or accept documents via fax instead of email. They all said it was more secure. The other option was snail mail, which seems twice as slow when dealing with legal/financial/medical forms.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't trust fax machines and what's retained in memory... (I could tell you a story from my working years) Much prefer to scan and send electronic attachments... At least I know what was sent to who, and when it was sent.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used HelloFax to send a fax via computer. Worked well for my limited needs.
br
bigreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
Is efax.com still in business? I used them in the 1990s/early 2000s and it worked quite well. There was a monthly page limit in the free version. Check it out as a simple solution.
-BB
They are still around. They now have an app that allows you to send faxes from your cell phone. It can be as easy as taking a picture of what you want to fax and using the app to send it.

They charge, but, like other competing apps that also provide this function, might have a trial/free for low usage option.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Faxes are sent completely in the clear. I don't trust them at all. When forced I use HelloFax though.
Attached Images
File Type: png sam.png (453.9 KB, 17 views)
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When I was working I used efax. Very convenient since it sent them to my computer.

Needed for board and legal stuff. And had a phone number on a local exchange.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My printer does have fax capability...but I have no landline.

One option is to find someone to send the fax for you if you know someone who can fax. Before I fully retired I used to have my office send faxes for me.

If you don't know anyone go to a fedex store where they will send a fax to you. Website says cost starts at $1.89. Haven't done it so don't know the overall cost.

I have occasionally (very rarely lately) used one of the services where you can send an email and then it gets sent as a fax. When I was handling my mom's estate I had to use this at least once.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I just can’t bring myself to go to a store to fax something. Their fax machine would be scanning very sensitive financial documents.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
+1

FaxZero has been around for ages and works really well. I still use it on the (very) rare occasions I need to send a fax.
I adopted Faxzero when I cancelled my fax line 20 years ago. It still works fine. Mostly medical and income tax receipts demanded. Now the income tax accepts electronic receipts.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #31

Anytime I need to send a fax, I just take it to work. Being a doctor, I have ready access to fax machines. As noted, faxes are secure and HIPAA compliant. Email is not (unless it's secure email but most people and places don't have that). Once I retire, I guess I'll need to find another option.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #32

I have had to fax a lot of medical and legal stuff for family in the last couple of years and have used SRfax $3/month with 25 pages included. I tried to get a hospital to accept an encrypted pdf but it didn't work out. Part of the problem is that the workflow is such that the person you talk to is not necessarily the pone to deal with the document on arrival.
RetMD21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #33

I like DocHub; it is pretty handy for filling in forms, and then you can fax one document for $1.99 or unlimited documents for one month for $4.99. (That came in handy when dealing with estate paperwork!)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

After I bought my ladyfriend an all-in-one (fax/scan/copy/print) laser printer 3 years ago, I took her old all-in-one device even though it couldn't really print because it was an inkjet and the cartridge dried up all the time (she lacked a land line so the fax was useless for her anyway). I already had a laser printer so it wasn't a big deal. Having something which could fax and scan was useful because I had to do those things a few times a year.

Still, it is an awkward process to fax and scan because I could not install the device's software onto my W10 PC. So, to scan, I have to boot up her old laptop I now have which was once connected to it, then save the file to a thumb drive, then copy it to my PC. This worked well when I had to provide documents to my state's health insurance marketplace to prove my reduced income in 2020 and 2021. Faxing is easier because no PC is needed, and I added a 2-in-1 phone jack I keep plugged in the phone line for the device.

An all-in-one laser device would eliminate this awkwardness, but my cramped setup would make this very difficult because my current printer is on a low shelf with little vertical clearance, so I would not be able to lift up the lid on a taller device to put the document on on the glass. One day, maybe, I will live in a larger living space so I won't have these obstacles.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Are people having good results with faxing over a VOIP line?

I'm reading that it is not reliable, the analog-to-digital conversion algorithm isn't exactly 'fax-friendly'.

I've just used a service like e-fax when I needed. It's a shame some of these places still force you to use fax. For our home purchase, everything was done by signing into a (supposedly!) secure document site (dotloop), and my financial institutions use something similar, you log into a secure message center where you can up/download docs.

Fax was great when it became available to the masses in the 80's, and there were no better alternatives. Time has moved on.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Can't remember the last time I had to fax something.

I applied for a LTC policy recently and the process for the most part was done remotely. Digital signatures (with a couple of snail mail signatures) and Zoom call.

I do have an all-in-one printer that does have fax but I haven't hooked that up since I may never need to fax again as long as I live.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'm reading that it is not reliable, the analog-to-digital conversion algorithm isn't exactly 'fax-friendly'.
-ERD50
It's dependent on things like your internet connection delay and packet loss, but if your connection has low jitter (there are test sites if you google) it will probably work fine. Ooma suggests dialing *99 before sending a fax so it can optimize the call for fax transmission, but I'm sure I normally haven't done that. You could also change the fax quality and speed if needed, but I've never had to reduce either. YMMV.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
I have sent out faxes a few times from my clanky fax machine; they went through just fine and were readable at the other end.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote