Join Early Retirement Today

PlayStation Vue!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PlayStation Vue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I was under the impression that PS Vue included locals. True or false?
I did not realize that!

It may not be true everywhere, but it's true where I live - that's a game changer for us! Makes PS Vue a true full alternative to cable or satellite for us, at $40/mo vs $98/mo with Dish Network - saving $700/year. We get everything LIVE including all the major networks on up to 3 devices (TV, iPad, smartphone) except sadly PBS, but we'll stream that free on demand. PS Vue makes Sling TV and DirecTV Now irrelevant for us as they'd both force us to futz with an OTA antenna, and CBS All Access at $6/mo with DTVN.

The PS Vue guide on the mobile app is excellent, the interface isn't quite as intuitive thru streaming devices on TV and PC's - but entirely workable. And to our surprise, our favorite shows are all automatically DVR'd and available for 28 days. But most are available on demand beyond 28 days anyway.

We lose a few channels, but gain others. And the few we care about and lose post on YouTube the next day, so we can stream them.

We've been test driving PS Vue since Thurs, flawless so far, and we have a paltry 10 Mbps internet connection. If all goes well this weekend, we're cancelling Dish Network on Monday.

Cable and satellite are going to have a tougher and tougher time in the years ahead IMO.

Thanks!!!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No, they'll just keep imposing data caps to get the same money because cable/telco is still your ISP.

If you're on AT&T/Cox/Comcast and stream all the time, frex, you're going to hit that 1TB cap with more than a couple of folks using it.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Very interesting. I'm watching this space carefully and will be very tempted to make the switch once I see that all (or the vast majority) of my favorite channels are available and the DVR functionality is robust and not artificially hobbled.

When you say "our favorite shows are all automatically DVR'd and available for 28 days", do you mean this happens for all channels without your having to do anything? Beyond 28 days, if you wanted to watch a particular episode of something that aired several months ago, is that possible for all (or most) channels? Is the FFW and REW functionality smooth and responsive? Anything notable that you find you can't do with PSV that you're used to doing with Dish?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
When you say "our favorite shows are all automatically DVR'd and available for 28 days", do you mean this happens for all channels without your having to do anything? Beyond 28 days, if you wanted to watch a particular episode of something that aired several months ago, is that possible for all (or most) channels? Is the FFW and REW functionality smooth and responsive? Anything notable that you find you can't do with PSV that you're used to doing with Dish?
I am no expert after 2 days, but PS Vue allows the user to identify their favorites in My Shows - they're automatically DVR'd. But if there's something else past you want to watch, it's probably available On Demand if it's any network other than CBS, some CBS on demand episodes are there and some aren't. But again, if they're in My Shows, they record CBS included IME. Again, based on 2 days experience...

We haven't seen any live shows blocked yet, on any network including CBS.

And we'll probably subscribe to Netflix or Amazon video for movies, and past seasons of many TV shows are there too I'm told.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you for the update, Midpack. Hopefully local channels are available in my area but I highly doubt it. But that's okay because I'll just pick up an antenna like the one below are Walmart. We're going to be cancelling Dish soon.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/36606756?...&wl13=&veh=sem
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

Basic question. Is Playstation Vue available via wireless internet only? Could one access it via a cable internet connection also?
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

You access Vue via one of several devices - Amazon Fire TV, Roku, etc. So, yes, you can access Vue via a wired connection to a device that accepts an ethernet connection.

Midpack, what device are you using to access Vue?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Basic question. Is Playstation Vue available via wireless internet only? Could one access it via a cable internet connection also?
If I understand your question, I've used PS Vue on my Ethernet connected Win PC (wifi off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
You access Vue via one of several devices - Amazon Fire TV, Roku, etc. So, yes, you can access Vue via a wired connection to a device that accepts an ethernet connection.

Midpack, what device are you using to access Vue?
I've used our Win PC, iPad, iPhone, a Samsung Smart TV with Chromecast and a dumb Sony TV with a Roku Streaming Stick so far...it's only been 2 days but all perfect so far.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The only niggle so far, the mobile app has a traditional guide like cable and satellite users are accustomed to, the streaming app doesn't as far as I can tell. It will take a little getting used to.

OTOH, PS Vue shows me all my content options all the time, live - DVR - on demand - and next episode.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Another cord cutting option for those who can't get local channel/major networks with PS Vue, but OTA is available https://airtv.net. Integrates OTA, Sling TV, Netflix, etc. into one interface so you don't have to deal with switching sources. For me at least, DW wasn't happy about dealing with multiple UI's, this solves that for some. FWIW

Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've been shamelessly promoting PS Vue because it can completely replace cable/satellite where we live,
  • including an automatic DVR function
  • live local major networks including NBC, CBS, ABC & Fox
  • on up to 5 devices simultaneously
for $40/mo and up.

What I didn't realize was that we happened to luck into one of the few/only 7 metro areas that have ALL the channels we'd watch, or enough we'd be willing to forego the few we'd lose. It would cost us 2-3 times as much to replicate PSV with a cable or satellite service where we are.

Though prices start at $30/mo and up in all other areas, you'd have to rely on OTA or another source for local major networks - a decidedly less convenient alternative to cable or satellite.

Just an update...though I assume PSV hopes to offer the more comprehensive package in more areas eventually.

Quote:
Until today Vue was only available in seven major metropolitan areas: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco and Miami. Packages in those cities start at $40 per month and include local broadcast TV channels, namely ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC (but not PBS).

If you live in one of the 203 other TV markets newly served by Vue -- places like Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, Phoenix, Portland, and St. Louis, as well as smaller cities and towns in all 50 states -- you'll only be able to subscribe to what Vue is calling "Slim" versions of its channel packages, starting at $30 per month.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #12

That quote appears to be from an article on CNet from one year ago (Mar 14, 2016), and I'd assume now there are more areas that have the full set of major local broadcast channels available. I know here in Atlanta, the four majors are available, but two of them (ABC and NBC) are only on-demand. Not a big deal, though, since you'd still be able to watch anything(?) that's broadcast live, but only after it's aired live. I vastly prefer on-demand for anything that's not a major sporting event.

I wonder why Sony hasn't been able to get access rights to certain live broadcast networks but has gotten on-demand access. With a service like DirecTV, it seems that "any access is full access", and if you get the live channel you automatically get the on-demand, and vice versa.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

Oooh... I just read this on the PS Vue website. Could make it a non-starter for me unless I'm not understanding it properly. Sounds like the only time you can actually FFW through commercials just like with a regular DVR is when a show is in "My Shows".

Quote:
Your ability to fast forward through commercials will be similar to that on other television services. Any airing recorded to “My Shows” will have no restrictions on fast forwarding. You will not be able to fast forward through commercials within Catch-up or while watching On Demand programming.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I vastly prefer on-demand for anything that's not a major sporting event.
Agreed re: sports but I'd add news/weather, we'd want that live too. Most anything else could be on demand, or via the web vs TV.

Quote:
Quote:
Your ability to fast forward through commercials will be similar to that on other television services. Any airing recorded to “My Shows” will have no restrictions on fast forwarding. You will not be able to fast forward through commercials within Catch-up or while watching On Demand programming.
Oooh... I just read this on the PS Vue website. Could make it a non-starter for me unless I'm not understanding it properly. Sounds like the only time you can actually FFW through commercials just like with a regular DVR is when a show is in "My Shows".
We did FFWD thru commercials during our trial period (now over), but I did not pay attention to whether it was DVR, CATCHUP, or ON DEMAND programming.

Nevertheless, we'll save $509/year with PS Vue vs Dish Network, and be free to view on more eevices. There's no way around commercials with live viewing and not having as much freedom to blow thru commercials isn't worth paying another $509/year to us.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've been shamelessly promoting PS Vue because it can completely replace cable/satellite where we live,
  • including an automatic DVR function
  • live local major networks including NBC, CBS, ABC & Fox
  • on up to 5 devices simultaneously
for $40/mo and up.

What I didn't realize was that we happened to luck into one of the few/only 7 metro areas that have ALL the channels we'd watch, or enough we'd be willing to forego the few we'd lose. It would cost us 2-3 times as much to replicate PSV with a cable or satellite service where we are.

Though prices start at $30/mo and up in all other areas, you'd have to rely on OTA or another source for local major networks - a decidedly less convenient alternative to cable or satellite.

Just an update...though I assume PSV hopes to offer the more comprehensive package in more areas eventually.
I'm perfectly fine watching my local channels with an antenna. I'm going to be chapped if they do include the locals and I have to pay more as a result. The locals s/b optional imo. In my small market, I doubt it happens anytime soon tho.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm perfectly fine watching my local channels with an antenna. I'm going to be chapped if they do include the locals and I have to pay more as a result. The locals s/b optional imo. In my small market, I doubt it happens anytime soon tho.
I guess you'll be chapped then as PS Vue is $10/mo more ($39.99 vs $29.99/mo) in the metro areas that include live and on demand for all of ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox & Telemundo. We'll gladly pay $10/mo to have it all together and avoid OTA and constantly switching between TV input sources - DW wasn't keen on that. We still save $509/yr vs Dish Network, a no brainer for us.

If you want to use OTA for locals, and stream the others at even lower cost than PS Vue - Sling TV may be more appealing for you starting at $20/mo. We ruled Sling TV out for no DVR and only one stream allowed at a time for the $20/mo package (more for higher $ Sling TV packages).

Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess you'll be chapped then as PS Vue is $10/mo more ($39.99 vs $29.99/mo) in the metro areas that include live and on demand for all of ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox & Telemundo. We'll gladly pay $10/mo to have it all together and avoid OTA and constantly switching between TV input sources - DW wasn't keen on that. We still save $509/yr vs Dish Network, a no brainer for us.

If you want to use OTA for locals, and stream the others at even lower cost than PS Vue - Sling TV may be more appealing for you starting at $20/mo. We ruled Sling TV out for no DVR and only one stream allowed at a time for the $20/mo package (more for higher $ Sling TV packages).
I've had Sling and its fine. I will do that if I have to. Switching between sources from OTA to my Fire TV box is basically one click. No hassle.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #18

I use an AppleTV to prevent switching from multiple inputs. A Roku could work even better, since it has an app for Amazon. The only downside to non-Apple solutions is that their remote doesn't include volume control. I wish they did.

My perfect solution is all apps with a single remote. As it is, we have everything except Amazon. For Amazon content, I use Apple AirPlay, which is not spouse friendly.

As for apps, we mostly use Tablo for OTA, Netflix, and PBS. We've tried the free subscriptions to SlingTV and Hulu, but they haven't been worth it for us to keep.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think when we get home we'll probably run Vue "parallel" with Dish for a month or so to make sure that it works for us and then get rid of Dish if it works like I think it will.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I use an AppleTV to prevent switching from multiple inputs. A Roku could work even better, since it has an app for Amazon. The only downside to non-Apple solutions is that their remote doesn't include volume control. I wish they did.

My perfect solution is all apps with a single remote. As it is, we have everything except Amazon. For Amazon content, I use Apple AirPlay, which is not spouse friendly.

As for apps, we mostly use Tablo for OTA, Netflix, and PBS. We've tried the free subscriptions to SlingTV and Hulu, but they haven't been worth it for us to keep.
You plug OTA into Apple TV and go between OTA and streaming content without switching input source on your TV's? That's what I was talking about, not individual streaming apps.

Most streaming devices consolidate apps - Apple, Roku, Amazon but not Chromecast.