Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

hell, I use a mouse for laptop; don't like trackpads
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Another thing about Apple's Magic Mouse that comes with the iMac is that it can't be charged while using it. A small nit, perhaps, as the battery life is very good but one day it will be a PITA. But for some inexplicable reason the lightning port is on the bottom. Form before function, I suppose.

This is the one thing that I find annoying about my 2015 iMac. The keyboard has its port on the side so it can still be used while charging. The mouse? Forget it.

But I figure that by the time I replace the iMac (waiting on 27” w/Apple CPU) it will be better.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I use both, sometimes at the same time. Mouse on the left of keyboard, original Magic Trackpad on the right. When Apple added gestures to a large trackpad years ago, I quickly got hooked. For a number of things, gestures are faster and more efficient than a mouse or keyboard shortcuts (once you get use to them). The mouse is much better for fine positioning.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This is the one thing that I find annoying about my 2015 iMac. The keyboard has its port on the side so it can still be used while charging. The mouse? Forget it.

But I figure that by the time I replace the iMac (waiting on 27” w/Apple CPU) it will be better.
That does seem like an uncharacteristic mistake by Apple. The Mac keyboard and trackpad charge from the side so they can be used while charging, not so with the "Magic" Mouse. Another reason I will probably buy the mouse and the trackpad with my iMac, so I'm not "down" when the mouse is charging. While not having a wired keyboard-mouse-trackpad may seem slick, I wonder if it's worth the tradeoff of (frequent) charging of three devices and dealing with three ON/OFF switches? Guess I'll find out...or consider a MacBook instead of a desktop iMac.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Trackpad.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow. That's three of us who all like the trackpoint device. I thought I was the last one!

Now we just have to convince the laptop makers to start selling them again. Lenovo is a decent brand, but it would be nice to have more choices.
I worked for IBM when the Thinkpad first came out, and lived and breathed on Thinkpads for many years (using the joystick they call Trackpoint). As I moved companies, and they gave me keyboards with some keys moved from where the "should" be, I found that the Thinkpad keyboard, with Trackpoint, could be added as a USB keyboard, so that's what I did. To this day, I'm still using a Trackpoint keyboard. I've had a few go bad, but kept replacing. Still have a wired optical mouse that gets about 25% of the work.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
...I wonder if it's worth the tradeoff of (frequent) charging of three devices and dealing with three ON/OFF switches?
These devices hold a charge for a very long time so it's really not frequent at all. I still hate the port on the bottom of the mouse, though, but since I use the trackpad almost exclusively these days it's not a major issue for me.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Same for my 2018 iMac. Agree that it can be a little frustrating, but if I'm working on a project that needs to be done now/soon, seems like it only takes about 5 minutes of charging before it's good to go again.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I'm a chicken. I'm getting the Magic Keyboard w Numeric Keypad, the Magic Mouse AND the Magic Trackpad, so I can try and decide. I'm told you can't buy them color matched to the iMac after the fact...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #70

What? No trackpad!?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #71

I have arthritis, mainly in the hands, and use a computer for hours a day.
I have tried all sorts of pointing devices. Mice, trackballs, trackpads, even foot triggers.
While I love the idea of trackpads, I never found one that worked well for me.

The best pointing device for me has been a mouse from 3m: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgbjw011267/
Old 05-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

mouse
Old 05-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Mouse, wireless specifically. Does anyone even use a wired mouse anymore?
I did for years until very recently, specifically in my office set up where I had a docking station for my laptop and a wired mouse permanently plugged into the docking station. It worked great for when I was at my desk, saving me from having to replace the batteries every few months.

I still had a battery-operated bluetooth mouse for when I had to undock my laptop and go into a meeting room or roam around.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #74

Have used all sorts of devices over the years - lots of different sorts of computers, as well.

I converted about three years ago to a MacBook Pro - several times over the intervening three years, I tried different mice, and separate trackpads ...

I cannot imagine ever going back to a mouse - nor, can I imagine not having the trackpad centrally located and connected to the laptop, itself.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote