Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which type of in Car NAV system do you use?
Manufacturers BUILT IN NAV system (Garmin, Tom-Tom, other) 30 14.08%
iOS/Android/Other Smartphone Map App (Apple, Waze, Google, other) 140 65.73%
A standalone Garmin, Tom-Tom or other GPS 25 11.74%
I rarely/never use in car GPS 18 8.45%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My Apple Watch really helps with navigation. It displays next turn information and taps you on the wrist when it’s time to do something. A good supplement to the audio instructions.
I prefer it INSTEAD of the audio. Sometimes the nav systems can be a bit too chatty. With the watch, it taps me on the wrist so I don't miss a turn.

OTOH, I do use the audio directions when I'm in completely unknown territory. Very helpful.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
That is exactly what I do with my Volvo. The search function in car is bad. Horrible even. Much better on the phone. The in car Nav has a big screen to see the road ahead. Plus the heads up display does much the same

The remote start is just an added bonus.
I forgot about the heads up display. I really enjoy using that. It is very easy to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Interesting poll result. I think the built in systems are clearly inferior to smartphones (expensive and never current), and a manufacturer/dealer ripoff,
As someone who has used all your alternatives, I can say this is a matter of opinion. Yes, phones have a lot of good things going for them. But, using something Car Play has negatives. When I use Car Play I don't have easy access to many of the other functions of my display. I find it very limiting. I also find the send a destination to the car on the Volvo as a very nice and easy way to add a destination. As someone who has the choice of using Car Play or the built in system every time I get in the car, I almost always use the dedicated system.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:34 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
As someone who has used all your alternatives, I can say this is a matter of opinion. Yes, phones have a lot of good things going for them. But, using something Car Play has negatives. When I use Car Play I don't have easy access to many of the other functions of my display. I find it very limiting. I also find the send a destination to the car on the Volvo as a very nice and easy way to add a destination. As someone who has the choice of using Car Play or the built in system every time I get in the car, I almost always use the dedicated system.
It's most certainly a matter of need and personal preferences, that's why I did a poll. There's no right or best answer.

Interesting take on CarPlay. In our Honda and Subaru, all the functions are icons on a homepage that we have to switch to. CarPlay is just another icon on the homepage so switching is no worse than without. But I haven't looked at how CarPlay is integrated on other cars, so my experience may be unlike others. Now that the CarPlay UI shows Maps & Music both, that's all I want 90% of the time so it's ideal for me. And switching to Subaru/Honda GPS/maps, radio or whatever else is easy.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I haven't really sought out CarPlay. Some manufacturers like BMW were offering it free for 1 year and then as part of some subscription.

I used to pair my iPhone to the car so that I could play podcasts or music through the car speakers.

But I found that the handoff between going from any wireless headphones to the car speakers and back to the wireless headphones was not a smooth process as I parked the car and turned it off and left.

So I unpaired from car and just listen on my AirPod Pros all the time, just in one ear.

Another factor vs. CarPlay at least a couple of years ago, you were limited only to some Apple apps. Now I know they allow third-party apps like Google Maps and Waze.

But generally around home, I'm not using navigation that much. It's mainly when I travel that I use navigation a lot.

So if a car rental has CarPlay, I may give it a go.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I haven't really sought out CarPlay. Some manufacturers like BMW were offering it free for 1 year and then as part of some subscription.
I didn’t realize CarPlay could be optional or a subscription, I probably wouldn’t subscribe for it. It came standard on our Outback Touring and Accord Hybrid, and its standard on all iPhones as well. It’s preferable for Messages, Music and Maps and the phone/contact integration is better than Subaru or Honda’s IMO. I used Waze but deleted that once Apple Maps added user sourced police, accidents, construction like Waze has. I’m not an AudioBooks user, but CarPlay has that too along with a couple dozen popular apps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C40FCF3-C9A5-48BF-A3A6-EE33D4CDD0EC.jpg (227.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 05-31-2021, 04:51 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
When I use Car Play I don't have easy access to many of the other functions of my display. I find it very limiting.
Every manufacturer does it a little differently.

In our Kia Telluride it has a wide screen and it can display multiple functions at once. Think of it as three roughly square areas. Car Play takes up ⅔ of the screen (the left two squares) which leaves the third square for other Kia features. So it's easy to mix and match what's displayed.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe In the only person in rural America but half of the roads I travel have no cell coverage. Either phone apps with built in maps or the cars nav system are all that works when there is no cell coverage.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

From experience, we have stand-alone Garmins in each vehicle. We occasionally drive places with limited to no cell coverage but the Garmin can still find the satellites to navigate by. My adult niece swears by her iPhone and Google Maps until she's in Wayoutville with roads just over one lane wide and poor cell coverage - then she swears at it ;-) I consider the cost averaged over several years plus the reliablility of finding my way regardless of remoteness a good investment.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Garmin all the way
Old 06-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Garmin all the way

Have always used Garmin standalone units and have never been disappointed. Starting a number of years ago they sell their units with lifetime free updates. I find the "real" GPS companies to be much quicker than phone apps and other alternatives.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
Have always used Garmin standalone units and have never been disappointed. Starting a number of years ago they sell their units with lifetime free updates. I find the "real" GPS companies to be much quicker than phone apps and other alternatives.
I agree, updates are infrequent for our cars (about 9-12 months between?), and they’re not free after 3 years, when they’re outrageous IMO - $169 for an update that’s already out of date when downloaded. Ironic in that our Honda and our Subaru NAV systems say Garmin and Tom Tom respectively right on the map screens. If not for SmartPhones, I’d probably use a Garmin standalone too. I know from years using them boating they’re top notch.

Yep
Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep

Quote:
I agree, updates are infrequent for our cars (about 9-12 months between?), and they’re not free after 3 years, when they’re outrageous IMO - $169 for an update that’s already out of date when downloaded. Ironic in that our Honda and our Subaru NAV systems say Garmin and Tom Tom respectively right on the map screens. If not for SmartPhones, I’d probably use a Garmin standalone too. I know from years using them boating they’re top notch.
If I did not have the Garmins I would also be using the phone apps since they run a close second. Not sure why anyone would pay to have an "integrated" car NAV system except for maybe a streamlined look.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My new BMW is easy to switch between the car’s nav system or Apple CarPlay. I do like the car’s system because it uses the heads up display to show turns, which lanes to be in and names of roads. It includes traffic information and the maps update automatically. It’s by far the best car system I’ve used.
I can also choose CarPlay to use Waze or Google Maps or Apple Maps should I want to.
We have a BMW also and like the cars NAV system for the same reasons you do. Ours is a 2018, so we don’t have Apple car play. I also like that it updates automatically. Our previous car was a Lincoln and we had to pay for a chip every year to update it.
sn2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
Maybe In the only person in rural America but half of the roads I travel have no cell coverage. Either phone apps with built in maps or the cars nav system are all that works when there is no cell coverage.
Similar for me. I spend 4-5 months a year in the NC mountains and cell coverage is spotty at best. So I depend on my Lexus built in map. I need to pony up and get the built in map updated.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Similar for me. I spend 4-5 months a year in the NC mountains and cell coverage is spotty at best. So I depend on my Lexus built in map. I need to pony up and get the built in map updated.
Only if the mountain roads have changed significantly. Addresses may change but roads don’t move often?

Old 06-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Only if the mountain roads have changed significantly. Addresses may change but roads don’t move often?
Don't forget built-in NAVs need occasionally map updates which cost money. Using your smart phone avoids those costs.
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cheap2eat View Post
Don't forget built-in NAVs need occasionally map updates which cost money. Using your smart phone avoids those costs.
Or just use the aftermarket android head unit that works like a smart phone, free offline map download/updates, and no need for taking your phone out of the pocket when you enter the car.

TBH I don't know why this aftermarket android head unit idea didn't get any traction in this thread. It is like people are so used to being confined by the status quo and it does not occur to think out of the box. A map update coats $169? With that amount of money you can install two android heat units and then some left over.

I keep the original/stock head unit partly because I want to revert to stock when I am selling my car in the future, but more importantly there might be a slight chance that I get to simply move the aftermarket unit into my next car so I don't have to relearn the new android (or whatever system in the next generation of cheap after market head unit that works well) system.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
If I did not have the Garmins I would also be using the phone apps since they run a close second. Not sure why anyone would pay to have an "integrated" car NAV system except for maybe a streamlined look.
Some popular car models are allocated to a region with certain packages including NAV heavily.

So sometimes you have to get one with NAV to get certain colors or certain other features.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are a bunch of new subdivisions with new roads. A lot of development going on in the NC mountains.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Factory Navigation Systems? Maybe . . .
Old 06-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #119
Dryer sheet wannabe

Factory Navigation Systems? Maybe . . .

I drove a 2011 Toyota Prius V hybrid for eight years and loved its onboard navigation system. It was tied into the Bose speaker system and HVAC systems and more, so there was no option to buy without out it.

The maps ran off a CD that could be upgraded/replaced as often as Toyota made one available (for a fee), which made the upgrades as simple as could be imagined. It interfaced with GPS to show location from the satellites, but it got its highways & streets from the CD. That meant quick and automatic updates, like one would see on Google Satellite Maps/Images aren't quick or automatic.

I've had built-in Nav systems on other vehicles and appreciated them, but until I bought a fifth-wheel camper, I wasn't interested in anything more than hands-free street mapping. Sure, it's super convenient to have it built into the dash, with a big screen, and with voice-activated functions. But I was content with my cell phone's voice-activated Google Maps clipped into a charger/vent-mount for hands-free operation.

But now that I'm interested in learning about low bridges and bad roads, and since my wife get's 35% off of any Garmin product she orders through her employer, we just bought a Garmin RV 890 system.

(Warning: Short soap box preaching approaching
Thankfully Garmin doesn't waste time with speed traps. Signing your name on your Driver's License is a promise you'll obey all the traffic laws and speed limits. I don't lie, cheat, or steal, so speeding (lying & cheating) isn't even a thought in my mind.
(Passive-aggressive section complete. Scroll on by, there's nothing to see or argue with here. Remember your Mom's advice: if you can't say something nice, saying nothing. Or, T.H.I.N.K.: Try to offer things that are Thoughtful, Helpful, Important, Necessary, and Kind.)

I like the Garmin solution for the additional information it provides that isn't available in Google Maps. But if Google ever got that part of their product updated to where I could enter in vehicle info (weight, length, height) so that their technology would guide me away from dangerous or illegal roads with my double-tow (truck, camper, boat), I'd consider it.

Any factory / built-in Nav system in my vehicles will take a back seat to the Garmin until they can guide me around low bridges, past narrow or light-capacity bridges, and accurately (yes, I'm looking at your mistakes here, Google Maps), then I'd willingly consider it. There's a lot of value to me with the built-in systems. No hanging wires, no power adapters, no clutter on the dash or windshield or floor. That's the huge benefit from a built-in Nav system.
newlyold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an outdated In-Car Subaru (Tom-Tom) map that I still use quite often. It wasn't worth paying for the upgrade but the big advantage of in car NAV systems is it knows which way your car is pointed. All the portable NAV units require that you start moving before it knows which direction you're heading and for whatever reason I almost always find myself having to make a U-turn when I rely solely on the portable units (Garmin, google maps, etc.,) If I need a more updated map or traffic info then I turn on google maps on my Android phone.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote