Poll: What’s your internet download speed?

What is your internet download speed

• less than 10 mbps

Votes: 28 17.4%
  • 11-25 mbps

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • 26-60 mbps

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • 61-100 mbps

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • 101-250 mbps

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • 251-500 mpbs

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 501-1000 mbps

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • over 1000 mbps

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Just checked and mine was 57mbps. I looked online and Charter finally has faster speed available my area. I signed up and they are coming Monday to change to a 300mbps download plan.

We are on DIRECTNow and have occasional buffering. Hopefully this will alleviate that.

So, the Tech shows up today and I am talking with him. I had actually just called to see whether the 100Mbps system was available at my house yet (previously was not) when I was told that it is 300Mbps and that it would be about $20 more. Of course, this would also require upgraded Modem, etc.

The Tech tells me "you don't have to go to the 300Mbps, you can just have them switch you over to the 100Mbps line without changing anything, and it will be $65/month (same as current 60Mbps).

A phone call later and it will be switched, no new hardware, no new charges.

We upgraded from a 50Mbps DSL connection to a 150Mbps fibre connection last year. Speedtest and Fast.com both seem to validate 150Mbps up and down speeds. However, our provider caps the speeds. Just after install, the tech and I were doing tests before the limiter was put on and I was getting gigabit speeds.

Not sure if there were other mitigating factors but we experienced some playback issues on Netflix and Youtube on the DSL connection and basically none with the fibre connection. Other instances where I notice the speed differences are video chats, uploading photos to the cloud, downloading software for local install, and downloading videos for local playback instead of streaming.

But thanks for nit-picking even more than I did (in case someone didn't get it, the poll goes from less than 10 mbps to 11, so technically, no way to choose 10 up to 10.x)

-ERD50
Exactly!

I pay $70/month for 1GB Fiber through AT&T :)

Via wifi on phones and laptops 15 ft away from Router (using speedtest) - we average about 250-300mbps.

I pay over $80/month and am supposed to get 10mbps. Measured 14mbps this evening. That is close to normal. The data allowance is the killer. I think it is 10Gb/mo. No video for me.

Satellite is my only choice. I also don't have any cell service so internet phone is my choice too. Exede is supposed to be sending me a new modem/router with 25mbps and 25Gb data along with a new plan that is a few bucks more a month, but it has been back ordered for a long time. I hope to see it some day...

I have one of the slowest speeds. I am at between 10-15 mbps download. But that is a vast improvement from before. I used to get consistently 4 mbps in my room. I put in a wi-fi repeater, and it helps. For whatever reason the main signal just doesn't want to reach my back room very well so I relayed the signal near a window in my living room.
Anyways even though my numbers aren't great, now they are good enough.

I have one of the slowest speeds. I am at between 10-15 mbps download.
:LOL: My ISP advertises a DSL download speed of 3meg and sometimes (~50% of the time) I get that. Often it's between 1 and 2 meg.

Honestly, where I am located, I'm happy and feel lucky to get that. Really didn't want to go to satellite.

Last edited:
:LOL: My ISP advertises a DSL download speed of 3meg and sometimes (~50% of the time) I get that. Often it's between 1 and 2 meg.

Honestly, where I am located, I'm happy and feel lucky to get that. Really didn't want to go to satellite.
I spoke too soon kind of.Yes, I get better signals with the repeater IF I can get online, but I can't seem to. It [my laptop] just doesn't like the second signal. The tech person came out and spent 2 hours and honestly in the end it didn't help. Yes the signal is better, but if my laptop won't accept the new connection a better signal does me no good.

So now I have a couple choices. Complain to the cable company or buy a plug in where the whole house is wired. Powerline adapter? I don't know. I think at this point I will complain to the cable company. My back bedroom is just cursed with a lousy wi-fi signal.

I know your struggling for signal too. What gets me is everyone else in the house gets good signal but me. I know , I went around the house and tested the speed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom