Poll: When Did You Cut the Cord (Cable and/or Satellite)?

When Did You COMPLETELY Cut Cable and/or Satellite?

• 2016 or before

Votes: 67 37.2%
  • 2017-2018

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • 2019-2020

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • 2021 or later

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I have cable/satellite primarily but augment with TV streaming

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • I only have cable/satellite still

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters
2015 Channel Master DVR+......still have working with OTA - worth every bit of the $320 I paid for it. Working $40 per year....saves me hours and hours of fast-forwarding commercials. Sadly Channel Master didn't make a worthy successor box farming it out to TIVO with monthly cost. Will keep on going in year 8 and beyond.

Since I wanted to keep my traditional phone number, and everyone I ever knew has my old phone number, we signed up for the Ooma phone service. That uses the internet and costs only $8 per month for a traditional landline phone. Works great and we've never had a problem with it.

I highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't like cell phones that much, but is forced to carry one anytime they leave the house!

Interesting, thanks, do they provide 9-1-1 service as well?

I was surprised to see the poll only going to "2016 or before". And I see many were earlier.

Outside of the 'nevers', I think I've got the record - 1992. We moved, and I was so dissatisfied with the cable service we had. It was expensive, lots of outages - for a while DW would call and they'd waive the fee for that day, then they started saying "well, it wasn't out all day", and we'd say "well it was out when I wanted to watch something!" They stopped crediting us, and I was done with it. I hate dealing with a monopoly.

So no cable when we moved. I did break down and promise DW I would get it once, but for whatever reason, I didn't keep that promise.

I suppose the price we pay for the various streaming subs exceeds the cost of cable, but there is a crazy amount of choice. I can't seem to wean DW off any of them, there's always something she likes on one and not the others. It's not beyond our means, so I'm OK with it anyhow. And we have OTA, so that fills in a lot.

Though the Amazon Prime thing gets me, we pay a sub price (for faster shipping that I rarely ever need), and when we want to watch something 9 times out of 10, we have to pay again!

-ERD50

Interesting, thanks, do they provide 9-1-1 service as well?

Yes they do. When you sign up for Ooma, you must provide a valid address where the service is being used. That way, if you dial 911 but can't speak, the local 911 service will know where to send the police.

Good question!

Back
Top Bottom