Join Early Retirement Today

Portable Blue tooth speakers
Old 02-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Portable Blue tooth speakers

I'm looking for a small portable blue tooth speaker to use with my computer, phone and tablet. Below $50. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm looking for a small portable blue tooth speaker to use with my computer, phone and tablet. Below $50. Any recommendations are appreciated.
I have an iHome speaker that works well. Convenient, cheap. Works well as a speaker phone. Not the best sound, but what do you expect for $20-$30.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:

Wonderboom 2 is $69, but definitely worth a glance.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #4

Like my JBL Flip 5
Old 02-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Like my JBL Flip 5
I really like my JBL Flip too. But, the OP is trying to stay under $50. That’s a tough requirement.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Tribet Audio Xsound $37

Tribit XSound Go Bluetooth Speaker with 16W Loud Sound & Rich Bass, 24H Playtime, IPX7 Waterproof, Wireless Stereo Pairing, USB-C, Portable Wireless Speaker for Home, Outdoors, Travel (Upgraded) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07594HZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you intend to go outside with the speaker, you'll appreciate a more-powerful speaker, I think.

I participated in another thread or two about speakers, and posted a spreadsheet with information about more expensive Bluetooth speakers (like JBL Charge, which I purchased).
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have an iHome speaker that works well. Convenient, cheap. Works well as a speaker phone. Not the best sound, but what do you expect for $20-$30.
We have two iHomes. Cheap, easy to use.

Recently we got three Google mini's (~$25 each) so we don't use the iHomes as much but they're still great for outdoors, travelling, on the boat etc.

FWIW, the Google mini can also double as a BlueTooth speaker but you do have to be 'on network' etc.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Nyne Boost - $25 @ Big 5 when it goes on sale. You'll need to subscribe to their e-coupons. I've seen it advertised for $25 3 or 4 times since December.

Nyne Punch on sale now till 2/15 for $49.99 @ Big 5.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #10

I have a Musky DY-22 Bluetooth speaker that has good sound despite it's small size:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Blue.../dp/B071GGM7KJ

The Bluetooth works, but that's not why I chose it. It can play music from a micro-SD card, so I loaded the SD card with songs, and we use it during power outages. It also has an FM radio built-in if we get tired of listening to the same music all day. I've also taken it outside on the back patio a time or two during the summer.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can recommend the Ultimate Ears bluetooth products. I have a Roll 2, which is great for traveling because it's shaped like a flying saucer so super easy to pack. But it's probably not the best form factor for a desktop use case. Take a look at their Wonderboom 2. The MAP price is $99, but I checked eBay and found a number of listings for "New - Other" units for around $60. You might also have good luck finding good Bluetooth speakers on FB or Craigslist that people are replacing because they got a "smart" speaker instead.

If you're not familiar with the brand, Ultimate Ears is named for their product line of personal In Ear monitors that are highly regarded by musicians. "In Ears" as they are referred to have all but replaced the large monitor wedges on stages, and performers really like the custom-molded Ultimate Ears' products. My point being that this is a company that cares about sound quality.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up choosing the Tribit. It's small, good sound, very portable, descent battery life, and about $33. So far I am very pleased with it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I can recommend the Ultimate Ears bluetooth products. I have a Roll 2, which is great for traveling because it's shaped like a flying saucer so super easy to pack. But it's probably not the best form factor for a desktop use case. Take a look at their Wonderboom 2. The MAP price is $99, but I checked eBay and found a number of listings for "New - Other" units for around $60. You might also have good luck finding good Bluetooth speakers on FB or Craigslist that people are replacing because they got a "smart" speaker instead.

If you're not familiar with the brand, Ultimate Ears is named for their product line of personal In Ear monitors that are highly regarded by musicians. "In Ears" as they are referred to have all but replaced the large monitor wedges on stages, and performers really like the custom-molded Ultimate Ears' products. My point being that this is a company that cares about sound quality.
+1 on the ultimate ears products. I have the megaboom 3 portable bluetooth speaker and it has great sound. a little more expensive than the OP is looking for.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for Ultimate Ears. I have the MegaBoom 3 however, it's way out of the price range the OP is looking at.

Regardless of what you get, it's best to go to the store and listen to them in person. Saving a few $$ means little if you're disappointed with the sound quality/volume level.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #15

I have the Anker Soundcore. I think it is a great little speaker; good sound and long battery life. It is only $22 from Amazon (link)
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I have the Anker Soundcore. I think it is a great little speaker; good sound and long battery life. It is only $22 from Amazon (link)

That looks very good and many positive reviews.
I have a Bose mini sound linkII that was given to us as a Christmas gift. It does have very good sound but if I had to pay the $199 price myself probably would never have bought it.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up choosing the Tribit. It's small, good sound, very portable, descent battery life, and about $33. So far I am very pleased with it.
I have one of these also and really like it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good choice. Originally recommended by RobbieB. I loved it so much I bought another but ended up with the larger StormBox model ~$60.

Tags
blue tooth speaker