Pretty good Milwaukee tool deal at HD

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Building our own house we have amassed a pretty good collection of cordless Milwaukee tools, even a cordless framing nailer that is amazing!

I logged on tonight to look for a cordless jigsaw and was going to buy the cheaper, tool only 12V cordless brush motor one from Amazon for $95 but then checked Home Depot and saw they are having a super sale on the M18 jigsaw with two 4AH batteries and a carry bag for $199 (normally would be over double that).

It looks like you can get other tools with this deal but since we needed the jigsaw anyway, it is a no brainer. Just the two batteries alone would be about $199.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...Contractor-Bag-2737-20-48-59-1840PG/314299688

I wish I would have started with the Milwaukee tools rather than the Ryobi. Once you pick a brand, you pretty much have to stick with it unless you want multiple batteries and chargers. It is amazing how HD runs deals where you essentially get the tool for free if you consider the normal price of the battery(s) included.

I wish I would have started with the Milwaukee tools rather than the Ryobi. Once you pick a brand, you pretty much have to stick with it unless you want multiple batteries and chargers. ....

I sure wish the tool companies would be pushed into standardizing batteries/chargers, the way cell phones were pushed into standardizing on USB charging.

I think it was environmentalists that first made the push - too many chargers being junked, and new ones produced every time someone buys new.

I'd be more likely to buy more cordless products if I knew I could swap batteries, regardless of manufacturer, or even between models of the same manufacturer.

-ERD50

Most of my cordless tools are split between Craftsman and Ryobi.

My introduction to cordless tools was through Craftsman back when they were sold through Sears stores. The Craftsman tools now look like toys, IMO.

I've gravitated mostly now to Ryobi as it became more convenient to shop for tools at a Home Depot, then at Sears.

I do own a Milwaukee impact wrench that I bought used. This I put in my car and is mainly for emergencies of changing a flat tire. The impact wrench is a beast as is made with enough power to take lug nuts off a semi-truck (no exaggeration). This tool came in real handy a few years back when my car got a flat.

Milwaukee tools are great. But my first choice is Ryobi because of price difference. The cheapskate in me :popcorn:.

how many years do the milwaukee batteries work? I always buy the cheaper brand names of cordless tools because of batteries dying. I now have porter cable and have had for 5 years with no problem with battery longevity.

Wow, that is a great price. I tend to stick with HD's less costly Ridgid line, because of the lifetime warranty (my carpenter put me on to that). I own the impact driver, drill, and power sander. But even though I'd like to stick with Ridgid, Milwaukee's high reviews make it tempting.

I wish the batteries for yard tools weren't so heavy, though. I looked at hedge trimmers in the store, and was very tempted by the Milwaukee trimmer, but all of the trimmers felt so heavy that I finally went with a cheap corded B&D trimmer sold online. It only weighs four pounds. The Milwaukee trimmer weighed over 10 pounds with the battery!

seems like everyone is going with the cordless weed trimmers and blowers, at least around where I live. they tell me they do the job unless you get into a lot of heavy trimming.

Milwaukee's power tools are excellent IMO (wired or cordless)... Unfortunately, sales or discounts are not going to help me now....

how many years do the milwaukee batteries work? I always buy the cheaper brand names of cordless tools because of batteries dying. I now have porter cable and have had for 5 years with no problem with battery longevity.

I started with the Milwaukee ecosystem in 2016. So far, so good. Only one battery won't achieve 4 LEDs, for some reason it stops charging at 3, yet the battery still lasts all day for typical driver use.

I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee tools. I did have one dud, however. It was the cheapest cordless circular saw. It cannot cut straight. I sent it back for repair (warranty covered, but I had to pay some shipping), and they made it better, but not perfect. Just read the reviews and you'll see people complain about this issue. They are not kidding. I ended up buying the 7 1/4" brushless version and it is slam perfect. I can use it all day on an 8.0 HO battery.

I currently have: two drills, one impact driver, two circular saws (one I don't use), a Hackzall, and a leaf blower. On my wish list is a finish nailer and a string trimmer.

I find the small batteries (3 or 4) work great for drivers and have good balance. For the leaf blower, I have a huge 9.0 HC battery that works well. You need that for the blower to get about 25 minutes of use. Smaller batters are fruitless. The 5.0 are a good compromise all around.

I've shared here that I do some volunteer construction work and everyone gravitates to these tools. They get a lot of use and abuse. I have a good feel for the batteries since I use them so much. Their biggest issue? Expensive.

BTW, the Hackzall is absolutely my favorite demo tool. Sometimes you may need the big corded reciprocating saw, but 95% of the time, the Hackzall works perfectly and gets into tighter spaces. Again, people whom I share with end up grabbing this tool first before the others.

One more thing: I have a consumer grade Ryobi string trimmer and Blower, obtained in 2016 also. Both batteries are now in the process of dying. I'm replacing them with Milwaukees.

Disclaimer: about 70% of my gear was obtained as part of a promotion for a big box store, in return for writing reviews (no star requirements needed). It says a lot that I've bought the other 30% on my own, including one saw, the Hackzall and Blower. I like them enough to do so.

I have a Milwaukee hammer drill driver m18 fuel. My second one and I'm a big fan.
The batteries last 3 or 4 years and start fading. Also the chuck in mine froze up and I couldn't repair it so bought the second one. I use it a lot and have dropped it off ladders several times. It's fairly rugged.
The batteries are so expensive when they die you're better off getting one of these deals that include the tool 2 batteries and a charger.

I started out with a Makita drill and driver and flashlight. The flashlight just was not sturdy enough to survive several drops to the concrete floor. The Batteries were garbage and died very early. Makita redesigned the system to prevent over discharging. it required new everything Drill, batteries and charger. Now I am a believer.

seems like everyone is going with the cordless weed trimmers and blowers, at least around where I live. they tell me they do the job unless you get into a lot of heavy trimming.

I never thought I would buy a cordless weed trimmer. That is until this year when DW was doing the yardwork and could not use the gas powered one. Like others have said, you get stuck in a brand to keep the battery packs and chargers common. We bought the Makita weed trimmer and, I have to say, I am impressed. It easily does the job on out 3/4 acre lot. I will trash the gas powered one.

I never thought I would buy a cordless weed trimmer. That is until this year when DW was doing the yardwork and could not use the gas powered one. Like others have said, you get stuck in a brand to keep the battery packs and chargers common. We bought the Makita weed trimmer and, I have to say, I am impressed. It easily does the job on out 3/4 acre lot. I will trash the gas powered one.

For the homeowner, they are the bomb, even on a 3/4 acre lot. For a professional? Probably not up to snuff yet.

I've pretty much put away my old 2-cycle Echo blower. The Milwaukee does a darn good job! It just needs a lot of battery. And here's the big deal: you don't smell like a fuel refinery when finished. Not only that, your lungs will appreciate the clean air. Your ears will appreciate the quiet. Your neighbors will be much happier.

I recently obtained a "Badger" model string trimmer. It is OK, but I don't recommend it. I'm still going to go with the Milwaukee version some day. My Ryobi was good the first two years until the battery didn't have enough oomph.

I have an old school Black and Decker nicad battery weed whacker. Still going strong, no issues. It has to be 7-8 years old.

I recently bought a well reviewed Ryobi blower. Was underwhelmed. Took it back.

Still on corded blower (Toro, it's fantastic) and hedge trimmers.

I don't mind having lots of brands, along with their batteries and chargers. I built a wall-hanging storage rack in my shop for all the drills, drivers, and impacts. The batteries and chargers sit on top directly above the tool(s) they go with. It's all plugged into a long power strip. The rack also houses my air-powered nailers and staplers.

I have 2 DeWalt drills and 1 driver, with 6 batteries ranging from 1.3 - 2.0Ah. I also have a Hitachi drill/driver set with four 2Ah batteries. Then there's a Makita impact, Craftsman angle grinder, Milwaukee chainsaw, and an off-brand set of 5 tools that all share the same batteries: jigsaw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, oscillating multi-tool, and a smaller impact.

The Milwaukee chainsaw has a giant 12Ah battery. So I've looked at their other yard tools that could make use of that battery. But so far, I haven't bought anything. I have a gas-powered Stihl leaf blower and line trimmer, which are both ultra-dependable. I'd like to get the Milwaukee hedge trimmer, but I think it might be unwieldy with that giant 12Ah battery.

We pretty much have the entire Milwaukee line of cordless tools lol.

M18 21 degree framing nailer
M18 7 1/4 skill saw
M18 sawzall
M18 compound miter saw (great because it can cut a 2x12!)
M18 palm sander
M18 LED shoplight
M18 jigsaw (in a couple of days)
M18 impact wrench
M18 grease gun

M12 drill/hammer drill
M12 right angle drill
M12 vibrating chisel thing
M12 palm nailer

and a M28 honking right angle cordless drill that we use to raise the sails on our boat.

How did you get on to that? The only reviewing job I've been able to get is for Walmart, and they mainly offer junk that doesn't interest me. Definitely no power tools.

I

Disclaimer: about 70% of my gear was obtained as part of a promotion for a big box store, in return for writing reviews (no star requirements needed). It says a lot that I've bought the other 30% on my own, including one saw, the Hackzall and Blower. I like them enough to do so.

How did you get on to that? The only reviewing job I've been able to get is for Walmart, and they mainly offer junk that doesn't interest me. Definitely no power tools.

Ditto. I've written tons of reviews on Amazon and Home Depot, but so far I've never been offered a gig.

Ditto. I've written tons of reviews on Amazon and Home Depot, but so far I've never been offered a gig.
I've written a good number of reviews on Amazon for things I've bought from them... Most have been "good" but few have been pretty negative (including some of the rather colorful language I've used) but they post these too, unedited... Adds some credibility to the other reviews I read..

Dewalt has an 1800 watt power station, like a battery powered generator, that made me want to go with Dewalt cordless tools. You can plug corded tools into it. But I don't have the need for more tools right now. And now I'm seeing there's a "EGO Power+ PST3041 3000W Nexus Portable Power Station for Indoor and Outdoor Use (4) 5.0Ah Battery Included." A few years ago, the closest I found to these things was someone's plans for turning a car battery into a quiet "generator."

I have an acre and am very happy with the trimmer and blower from Ryobi. For the basic jobs I do in the summer like trimming around a couple signs by the road and some small areas around my house, the trimmer works well. Also, it's an edger and again, for my simple edging needs of my small driveway, it works fine. The blower is great for clean up and general cleanup around the house.

However, I will never get rid of my Stihl gas powered trimmer and blower. Especially the blower. I have the smallest backpack unit and it is needed for fall leaf cleanup. No way the battery operated unit is going to cut it. The gas trimmer is used even less, but if I let an area get out of control and just want to "mow" it down, the gas trimmer is a lot more suited to that job.

Dewalt has an 1800 watt power station, like a battery powered generator, that made me want to go with Dewalt cordless tools. You can plug corded tools into it. But I don't have the need for more tools right now. And now I'm seeing there's a "EGO Power+ PST3041 3000W Nexus Portable Power Station for Indoor and Outdoor Use (4) 5.0Ah Battery Included." A few years ago, the closest I found to these things was someone's plans for turning a car battery into a quiet "generator."

These are basically batteries with an inverter built in. Good as long as you have power from some place to charge them up.

Pure luck. I was doing a bunch of reviews during a big home improvement project 8 years ago. Some of my reviews were somewhat angry (1 star) due to crap products. Others were kind 4 stars. All were pretty much just the facts. Apparently, they had enough information and detail in them that it caught their eye, and I got an invite. It is invitation only and you can't ask for it.

They do not require 4 star reviews. They encourage fair reviews with a lot of facts. They also require us to do photos or videos. If you add photos to your reviews, you have a better chance of being chosen. The star rating won't matter.

They have to kick people out to get new blood in. I haven't been kicked out yet. Some people do when they get lazy or are caught selling products on Ebay. We required to not resell for at least 6 months.

They used to publish their "ratings" list of our reviewers and I was usually in the top third, so I think I'm safe. Their rating formula is not published, but they vaguely mention such things as facts, pros, cons, homeowner usefulness, etc.

I've been offered some junk products, and also some ridiculously nice and expensive products. Enough for me to claim it on my tax just in case. I think the simplest thing I reviewed was a cabinet handle, the most complex a high class IP camera security system.

Last edited:
However, I will never get rid of my Stihl gas powered trimmer and blower. Especially the blower. I have the smallest backpack unit and it is needed for fall leaf cleanup. No way the battery operated unit is going to cut it.

I agree with this and still hold my gas powered blower. However, I find that most jobs are fine with the battery. Almost all of them.

The battery blower is also nice for fast touch ups. And DW finds she can handle it, even with the larger battery. She couldn't handle the torque kick back from the gas blower. And she want's nothing to do with backpack tools.

I'm currently looking for a cordless combo kit but a lot of them come with things I don't really want or need like a flashlight and/or impact driver.

I'd really like a combo kit that has 2 batteries and a drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and a jigsaw. I've never seen that combination so I might have to settle and get a larger kit that has a couple things I don't really need. Since there's no hurry hopefully I can find a sale after Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom