Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
So far today, four packages have appeared. Two tucked behind the planter near the door around 10, and two with the mail. Smart plug but no Echo Dot. I saw something about getting $1 in credit to accept a later date, but don't recall anything about bundling, which would have been fine with me. I guess I have to learn "the system."
Here's the trick. If you get the $1 credit on one thing, and do prime shipping on the other, they often bundle them together and you get the first item quickly anyway. I wonder if that's how some people get their account closed, so I don't do it often. I have done it some today though. It's their fault that items are hard to find, or they have short-lived lightning sales that make me buy things one at a time.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe this is my first celebration of Prime day. Two day total- 2 Pairs of running shoes for $52 each, they are $120 at my local running store. $78 each for 2 pairs of running shoes (Ghosts) for daughter. A Dyson fan for $180. Pricey but silent and looks nice. Target has it for $300. Also a $22 Black Diamond Spot headlamp for walking the dogs at night. Hard to see the B.M.'s without illumination.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #123

Bought a couple small items but the main purchases were a Roku device and an external SSD 1TB drive. Didn't really see anything else I wanted and I had these on my mind to get at some point so it was a good event for me.

With the Roku, I'm going to change my cable to be just internet and save some money. Not fully cutting the cord because with the Roku, I'll be able to use the Spectrum app and stream channels. I will be getting a different package though. All local channels plus 10 channels that I pick plus some garbage channels they throw in. The change will save me about $40-$50 per month and my internet speed will go from 30Mbps to 200Mbps.

With the SSD, DW will be able to store all her pictures on the drive and I will be able to back them up a little quicker. Mostly hoping to get speed improvement for her plus a drive that is a little less susceptible to damage, like from being dropped.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:36 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I just had the opposite happen.

I purchased a couple of things yesterday and was promised two day delivery, arriving tomorrow. About 10:30 this morning I was notified the items were out for delivery. Got them about 4 local time.

Same thing happened with me. I ordered some non-prime day items, sheet music and large zip ties, but also ordered an Apple Watch 3 for DS-early Christmas present/masters degree present. He had no idea I was thinking about getting him one. They were ordered Monday, and all arrived yesterday.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #125

I've been nursing my iphone 6 for a couple of years trying to get every last ounce of life out of it. I finally decided this would be the year to replace it. It's only a 16 gig and I've had to keep removing programs to stay under the capacity. Also not enough room to store pics and music. So it's in our 2019 lumpy items budget. I had been toying with the idea of moving away from the iphone. I have been considering the Samsung S10 , 128 gig which is expandable and the Pixel 3, as well as the iphone Xs and have done a ton of research.

Amazon had a $300 off price on Samsung's S10. Total cost $599. I went to the AT&T store yesterday to do the touchy feely thing and ask lots of questions of the AT&T tech who was nice enough to give me more info, even though he knew I was going to buy it elsewhere. So I pulled the trigger finally. I tried mid afternoon and there were no more S10's. I was bummed. But I tried again at about 6pm and the site showed the S10 was again available with a 9/1 ship date. So I pounced.

I also bought more ink for my HP printer, from a non HP producer that was a deal of the day and a 3 piece Samsonite spinner luggage set, that we need to replace two very tired and beat up suitcases that no longer "spin", also a deal of the day. The luggage was marked down to $158. Today the price for the same luggage set is $389.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I ended up spending about $600 on a camera and camera accessories. Camera wasn't a Prime Day sale but I was thinking of buying anyhow so timing was right. In other words, I fell for that 6% cashback .
Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #127

The party is over and the damage appears to be about $300. Almost all of it is on wardrobe items that would have been purchased anyway, but with the $20 in discount rewards and the sale prices on some of them, I think I came out ok. The only impulse purchase was the Echo Dot and the smart plug and that's an experiment.

We will see about keeping Prime. The music is ok. Haven't looked at the movie and other video selections yet, those may be a factor. Pretty sure I won't set foot in Whole Foods anytime soon.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

As much as I love Amazon, I didn't really see anything offered on Prime Day that called out to me. So, I ordered nothing.

Probably that was because my new lift recliner (from Amazon) was delivered yesterday and we were busy getting it in the right place and assembled. I love it! It is exactly what I wanted, amazingly comfortable for me, and just as described. But I don't really need any other new "toys" while I'm happily playing with this one.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As much as I love Amazon, I didn't really see anything offered on Prime Day that called out to me. So, I ordered nothing.

Probably that was because my new lift recliner (from Amazon) was delivered yesterday and we were busy getting it in the right place and assembled. I love it! It is exactly what I wanted, amazingly comfortable for me, and just as described. But I don't really need any other new "toys" while I'm happily playing with this one.
The problem with "toys" is that we have short attention spans for them and we "need" new ones to absorb our attention fairly soon... I have to watch myself with consumer stuff, as I did order more than I currently "need" of a couple items. rationalizing that because I could not find them in local stores, I would "stock up."

ETA: The really unnerving thing about all this is that I got an e-mail from Amazon about 20 minutes after opening the package with the smart plug, extolling its' virtues. I was shocked and wondered how the plug was spying on me. Then I realized the package delivery scan was probably picked up by Amazon's tracking. Good thing, because I was thinking of pitching the damn thing into the back yard.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The problem with "toys" is that we have short attention spans for them and we "need" new ones to absorb our attention fairly soon... I have to watch myself with consumer stuff, as I did order more than I currently "need" of a couple items. rationalizing that because I could not find them in local stores, I would "stock up."
Well, still you probably appreciate getting a new "toy" now and then. And most of what you got wasn't in that category, from what you said, other than the Echo Dot. Also, stocking up on things you are sure you will continue using, isn't necessarily a bad thing to do. It will mean less spending needed later on.

My recliner will be very helpful in recovering from my upcoming knee surgery, because I can elevate my knees higher than the rest of me. So, in that sense it was needed to some extent and a practical purchase. But for now, I am just having fun playing with the remote... knees up? knees down? head up? head down? lift? and so on.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, still you probably appreciate getting a new "toy" now and then. And most of what you got wasn't in that category, from what you said, other than the Echo Dot. Also, stocking up on things you are sure you will continue using, isn't necessarily a bad thing to do. It will mean less spending needed later on.

My recliner will be very helpful in recovering from my upcoming knee surgery, because I can elevate my knees higher than the rest of me. So, in that sense it was needed to some extent and a practical purchase. But for now, I am just having fun playing with the remote... knees up? knees down? head up? head down? lift? and so on.
I think you should invite the neighborhood kids to come over and try it out. Like computers, they will probably discovers some tricks the chair can do an adult never would have thought of!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think you should invite the neighborhood kids to come over and try it out. Like computers, they will probably discovers some tricks the chair can do an adult never would have thought of!
ROFL! No way, no kids are getting anywhere near my chair, tricks or no tricks. They can grow up, work hard at a job for years and years, finally have enough money to retire, and then buy one of their own, by golly.

Meanwhile, I am having loads of fun just making my feet go up and down. Up... down! Up? down.... Up... down...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I feel the same way. I would like different shipping options at time of checkout. I could go with the “pick a day of the week” plan, but some things I do want ASAP. Most things, not. And I really hate the idea of a van pulling up on Sunday with the pack of gum I ordered. Maybe I’m just not aware of my options, but most the time I’m just fine with a “when you’re in the area” plan.
For the most part, when I check out, there will be options for shipping. One of those options is "Amazon Delivery Day" and it usually comes with a credit of some sort. We have done this with a few items and it's nice because often several orders will be in just one box.

Also, this isn't a "default", you would have the option to pick it for every order you place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (29.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

I got several things scheduled for delivery on Friday. Saw the option but thought the choice wasn't as temporary. I could have earned $1 digital credit .

I was navigating on my phone (difficult with my old tired eyes, IMO, compared to computer) as there was something about up to $60 back if buying Amazon products through the phone app.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #135

I ordered a set of these (2 plugs) $20. They are$30 to $35 normally. I have 8 of them scattered over the house.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently stumbled on Amazon Essentials--their brand of stuff. Some of the clothing has been pretty good and really inexpensive. I bought one of the Amazon blouses, and also a purse I have had my eye on from another brand. Also picked up 2 gifts for grand daughter which I will hold until Christmas, and 2 pairs of hiking socks.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I recently stumbled on Amazon Essentials--their brand of stuff. Some of the clothing has been pretty good and really inexpensive. I bought one of the Amazon blouses, and also a purse I have had my eye on from another brand. Also picked up 2 gifts for grand daughter which I will hold until Christmas, and 2 pairs of hiking socks.
The Amazon Essentials line has turned out to be good quality and, something you don't see with the stuff at Sears, Walmart, Target and Kohls, consistent in sizing. Even a staple like Lee's jeans is not consistent from pair to pair, no matter where you buy them. With the Amazon Essentials, if you buy one of something, the same item bought three weeks later will look and fit the same, even in a different color. How Amazon can get factories in Bangladesh to do what those other folks can't is beyond me, but it's been 100 percent so far.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
For the most part, when I check out, there will be options for shipping. One of those options is "Amazon Delivery Day" and it usually comes with a credit of some sort. We have done this with a few items and it's nice because often several orders will be in just one box.

Also, this isn't a "default", you would have the option to pick it for every order you place.
I assumed that checking that box would mean that all my shipments would come on that one day of the week. I figured I could reverse it, but that's a pain too. If it works like a bucket where I can dump certain purchases in it and all others get shipped asap, then I would be happy to use that. If I have to administer it (think about it, click it on and off), then I'm not interested.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I assumed that checking that box would mean that all my shipments would come on that one day of the week. I figured I could reverse it, but that's a pain too. If it works like a bucket where I can dump certain purchases in it and all others get shipped asap, then I would be happy to use that. If I have to administer it (think about it, click it on and off), then I'm not interested.
I don't know how you can have certain purchases shipped in the bucket and others shipped ASAP without deciding whether or not to turn the option on or not.

I have multiple payment options set up, multiple destinations (sometimes ship to family members), and multiple shipping options.

Default payment is my Amazon card, so I just click through.

Default destination is my house, so I click through unless it is a gift I'm sending. (I screwed up flowers on Mother's Day and got some nice flowers delivered to my house as a surprise this year)

Default shipping is ASAP prime, but I decide if I want it in a hurry or not. They used to have my day of the week as a free but non-bonus option, and a different slower option usually for $1 credit towards e-stuff, but now they've combined the last two apparently. Takes just a few seconds to think about, and I appreciate the options.

You can also set up 1-click buying which just uses the defaults but I like to verify everything.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Look likes I bought the wrong camera gear. I should have cleaned up big (Just joking. I morally wouldn't capitalize and take advantage that way):

Quote:
Amazon discounted a wide range of camera gear for Prime Day this week, but some photographers scored what may be the best deals of their lives. Thanks to a pricing error, many people were able to purchase high-end camera gear bundles, some worth over $5,000, for just around $100.

It all started when someone noticed that the $550 Sony a6000 and 16-50mm lens bundle was being listed at just $94.50 on Amazon, and the person shared the “deal” on Slickdeals, where it hit the front page.
https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/ama...-on-prime-day/