Join Early Retirement Today

Prime Day 2019
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prime Day 2019

(And, I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules - don't think so, because there's another thread specifically on Amazon. Also hope there isn't a thread already on this, in which case I'll delete. Again, don't think so).

OK, that out of the way, I'm girded for abuse here, as I know, I know, Amazon is throwing chum to create a feeding frenzy among us albatrosses and gulls.

Still .... there HAS to be a way to wring SOME good from this, no? I did sign up for a free 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited. I looked over the free giveaways you can qualify for if you watch a 15 second video, and, though I passed by almost all of them, I confess to falling for a fancy-looking handblender set, and I watched an ENTIRE 54 sec. incomprehensible video on how to use Amazon AR to see things in your own home (honestly, can't they explain it in WORDS, in 2 paragraphs? I couldn't understand it). I would definitely take it if I won it!

And, well, I could reorder another Roomba replacement battery if the price were right. And, a gorgeous, sleek, double boiler set would be just the thing to replace the 2 cheap aluminum pans I inherited from a roommate 20+ years ago.

How about you? Are you nobly indifferent to this siren call? Have you figured out a way to game the Amazon Prime Day juggernaut efficiently and wisely?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
(And, I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules - don't think so, because there's another thread specifically on Amazon. Also hope there isn't a thread already on this, in which case I'll delete. Again, don't think so).
No problem
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, like any sale, don't go with the mindset of buying just to be part of the feeding frenzy. Unless that is your thing .

Yet if you are thinking of shopping anyhow, might get shop to your advantage.

I happened to go over to Whole Foods yesterday and got a freebie grocery bag, plus $10 off shopping on Prime Day. Plus, I believe shopping on Prime Day for prime members with Amazon's cc is 6% of instead of the regular 5%.

Also, if you are looking for one of Amazon's devices (which I'm not) such as a FIRE TV or Tablet or their OTA thing (I forget the name), may be a good time to snatch something up. Plus, from past years, seems a good time to look for computer storage.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

My 5-yr old Kindle has been acting up for the last couple of months, so I've been waiting for Prime Day to get a new one because I know they'll be on sale then. Otherwise, I have some miscellaneous stuff in my Amazon cart that I need anyway. If it goes on sale, great; if not, well I still need it, so I'll just purchase it when I get the Kindle.

Last year I bought a couple of Christmas gifts that I found by watching The Wirecutter's special prime day deals page. I might take a look once or twice and see if anything on their list catches my eye this year. They try to filter out the noise and only list the things that are really a good buy for both price and quality.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Are you nobly indifferent to this siren call? Have you figured out a way to game the Amazon Prime Day juggernaut efficiently and wisely?
No, and no.

DW's old iPad, a refurbished gen 4 purchased two years ago, bit the dust last week. She's going to use a little of her "found" mineral rights money she got last week, combine it with the 6% Prime Day CC discount and purchase a new 128GB iPad.

I don't have anything in mind to buy, but no doubt I'll succumb to the temptation to buy an item or two...or more.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

My six year old Kindle is not holding it's charge very well . I may purchase another one on prime day .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That 6% CC discount - that’s 1% on top of the normal 5% CC discount, right?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

For the first time in many years, I no longer have Amazon prime. I got rid of it when it was set to renew in May.

Just that simple act has helped me save money as I am much less able to click a button to buy something and have it magically show up at my door. Yes, I know that there is a great convenience factor - but I am finding that if I wait a while I realize I didn't really need it.

In 2018 I spent about $4K on Amazon purchases (about 150 different orders). In 2019 (prior to dropping prime) about $800 through May. Since May, one order (which I only did as I was able to find a used item at about half price of something I needed to buy).

Yes, some of this has moved to other merchants (local groceries, Home Depot, Walmart.com) but a significant portion has just not happened...because I really didn't need the item. Even more interesting is that by recording every purchase I am finding that I am ordering/getting less from other sources (in addition to Amazon).

I decided to do this not out of a fear of spending too much money, but rather as an experiment and a way to start using up what I have and to (slowly) start to declutter.

I will have to keep myself busy on "prime day" (which now includes other merchants competing on prime day) so that I can avoid "oh that is a great deal" for things I don't need.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Right.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The 6% off mention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 percent off.jpg (99.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
For the first time in many years, I no longer have Amazon prime. I got rid of it when it was set to renew in May.

Just that simple act has helped me save money as I am much less able to click a button to buy something and have it magically show up at my door. Yes, I know that there is a great convenience factor - but I am finding that if I wait a while I realize I didn't really need it.
+1

I think you make a good point. If it were not for the Amazon Prime shows I want I would probably have cancelled my Prime membership. But, being a cord cutter, I find the Prime TV shows fill a gap much more cheaply than being a cable subscriber.

I have also found that Amazon prices can often be beaten with 5 minutes of searching. I saved $40 on a recent purchase ($84 vs. $124) by purchasing for a different online source. Another $15 was saved for another item.

FWIW, when I make an impulse purchase at places like Costco or Target, I put the item aside for a few days. Often enough, I end up returning it. The other day I found an impulse item I bought for my kitchen and forgot about! How necessary was that item? I returned it to Costco, unused and unopened.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

Keep in mind Amazon's return policy. Compare that when shopping other sites online. Also, Amazon is now shipping with their own carrier direct to my house. Most 2 day shipping is now one day. Bought a chromebook at 3pm and it was at my door the next day. I live WAY out in the woods too.

I do compare shop with Costco and Sam's as they usually have free shipping if you have their credit card.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want to buy locally so I am going to compare Amazon and the local stores like Best Buy and Walmart. Availability is the frustration at local stores.
I have compared prices browsing on line for a roomba and for a Bissell crosswave. If Amazon discounts those a lot I might buy one or both. That and some etee wrappers I want to try.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Keep in mind Amazon's return policy. Compare that when shopping other sites online. Also, Amazon is now shipping with their own carrier direct to my house. Most 2 day shipping is now one day. Bought a chromebook at 3pm and it was at my door the next day. I live WAY out in the woods too.

I do compare shop with Costco and Sam's as they usually have free shipping if you have their credit card.
I ordered a specialty item yesterday that will arrive today. I could have saved a little money buying locally but I would have had to drive across town. Considering vehicle wear and tear, gas and time, the Amazon delivery is much more efficient and cheaper.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #15

Where's W2R? I'll bet she has a list...

I have a few things I am interested in, totaling around $105. Waiting to see if they get marked down. You get a $10 coupon if you make Discover your primary account card. I will consider signing up for Prime, if the deals are good enough, and then canceling if I can't justify the cost.

Last purchase from Amazon? A box of N-95 filter masks for the upcoming fire season. Hmmm... maybe I should be looking at real estate in an area that does not have wildfires instead of shopping the Prime Day sale.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #16

Don't hate me.... I'm gonna shop Roombas tomorrow.....
Old 07-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
About 8 years ago I got a new wood floor installed in my living area. It still has most of its original glossy finish intact thanks to two things:

1. Removing shoes immediately after entering the house

2. Using the Roomba 3-4 times a week, more often in Summer, to pick up that fine grit that destroys the finish.

In the 8 years I have had the Roomba, my only extra cost is a new battera a few years ago. Actually, I got that for Christmas.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We keep Prime - though I was dismayed with membership dues of $120 this year - because of the convenience. We have gr-kids in SoCal, TX, MI and its so easy to find a B Day gift and have Amazon ship it !

We don't purchase much for ourselves but I enjoy some of the movies, shows on Prime Video.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Well, since for the first time I actually spent time "studying" how Prime Day worked, I can see that Roombas (hopefully also accessories) WILL be on sale tomorrow, according to the "Sneak Peak" that supposedly you can only see on the mobile app [does anyone know if you can see "Sneak Peaks" on your desktop also?]

And things I have learned in this thread: the 6% discount - somehow I missed that - and the Wirecutters Guide site. Keep those hints coming! I think there is somehow a way to fuss around with gift cards as well to get some extra credit!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the Instant Pot is already set up for the best price you usually find $69.99 for the 6 quart Duo plus (9 in 1):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS...ad_dp_asin_img

And the older Duo 6qt (7 in 1) model for $59
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ...ams_ad_dp_ovrl

I don't know how quickly they'll go at that price. I've seen them run out quickly before. If you want one you might want to order today.