Join Early Retirement Today

Printer - Still An Inkjet In The Bad Way
Old 02-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Printer - Still An Inkjet In The Bad Way

About a year ago, I decided to go the Epson Ecotank route. A printer with an inktank so not have to often buy those cartridge refills.

My printer had been humming along, until recently. More specifically, printer as an inkjet developed a clog on black ink. I just ran some maintenance (uses ink) to try and do some unclogging. This pretty much unclogged the black ink but then created a clog on the color side .

I had been so confident that I gave away two laser printers. A big color one and a trusty monochrome.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ouch! I have the same printer and wondered if it might be prone to clogging, since you don't replace the jet along with the ink, like you would with a cartridge. I also gave away my old printer, but the good news is my friend who got it loves it.

I used to work with a guy who had some magic liquid he used to manually clean print heads. I wish I could remember what it was.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Ouch! I have the same printer and wondered if it might be prone to clogging, since you don't replace the jet along with the ink, like you would with a cartridge. I also gave away my old printer, but the good news is my friend who got it loves it.

I used to work with a guy who had some magic liquid he used to manually clean print heads. I wish I could remember what it was.
I've been keeping the ink flowing by printing out a 1 page pattern weekly that uses black and all the colors. Didn't print last time as I was in a rush out of town. Noticed the black ink getting clogged.

Did a maintenance clean 3 times. Now the nozzles for black are cleared up, but that someone caused some of the colors to clog (not terrible, but shouldn't have happened).

If things still clog up more, I can do a power clean (which I understand takes up about 1/8 of the ink level) to do a more through cleaning. But I'll hold off for now as most of my printing is black. I'll wait until things get worse on the color side to do a power clean if needed.

Guess there is no such thing as a free lunch .
Old 02-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #4

What would be the reason or reasons for choosing an inkjet over a laser printer?
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
What would be the reason or reasons for choosing an inkjet over a laser printer?
If Ecotank works as advertised, saves on costs per print. Only about 3 cents per color page. Also, inkjet may produce better quality prints for photos.

Plus, I don't care for the tone fumes smell.

Must admit, there are tradeoffs though.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Yep...I don't understand either.

Our Brother laser multifunction is used for black & white printing & scanning.

Probably a decade old, uses inexpensive 3rd party toner.

Our inexpensive Samsung color laser printer gets very infrequent use, in the past with the kids but now only when my teacher spouse needs to print something for her classroom.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's salesmanship when a new concept comes out, like tank printers for the consumer. What is missing though is the actual consumer testing which occurs. I really want to believe the new tech is better. How many times do we get caught up in that and invest in new. But it does happen that we get let down.

The per page cost for the color ink tank printer is less. As a comparison, 2000 color pages through a color laser are $.50 each. There can be lower costs I suppose amongst different models. But ink tank comes through as cheaper. If you print two dozen color prints in a year, I'd say go with the laser. If you print 1000 pages in a year, then the ink tank sounds better.

Note that we are discussing ink tanks, not replaceable cartridges.

I highly value my time, so about 7-10 years ago I bought a color laser and b/w laser for about $750 total. This combination uses more floor space, and toner costs more than ink, but I haven't had a single problem in that entire time. I only use OEM toner ($500 for HP and $125 for Canon b/w). YMMV.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #8

I think the only downside to a color laser is that it’s not the best option for photo printing. Of course we don’t need, or even want, high quality prints very often. So, if I really wanted a high quality photo, I’d print it at the local drug store’s photo center.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think the only downside to a color laser is that it’s not the best option for photo printing. Of course we don’t need, or even want, high quality prints very often. So, if I really wanted a high quality photo, I’d print it at the local drug store’s photo center.
In my situation, I had a color laser printer that printed beautifully, even photo printing. But OEM color laser toner is so much that I couldn't justify. Going the third party toner route the save on cost, the print outs were noticeably not up to par.

At one point, I was totally happy with just a monochrome laser. But once, I saw color print, and not that expensive (ecotanks), I get spoiled and don't want to go back. An example is now I'm taking apart a laptop and printed out step by step instructions with pictures. Much easier to see with color print than only grayscale.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Ummm... who prints anything any more? At all.

My inkjet ran out of ink about 10 years ago and I never used it again. Even working at home (without access to the office printers) for almost 2 years now, I've not ever needed to print anything.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
Ummm... who prints anything any more? At all.

My inkjet ran out of ink about 10 years ago and I never used it again. Even working at home (without access to the office printers) for almost 2 years now, I've not ever needed to print anything.
I printed out my Super Bowl squares last night. Does that count?

I still print out documents as I prepare my tax return. As an old accountant, I need something to make my tick mark on as I enter and check my work.

True, that for the most part, our multi function laser “printer” is mostly used as a scanner more so than a printer, but we certainly do still print.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Photo printing. I have a Canon Pro-100 inkjet photo printer (eight inks) used only for photo printing. It will do gallery-quality prints although it is slow but for my uses that's okay. We have a color laser printer for everyday printing.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've had inkjet printers in the past, but seldom printed anything in color.

My Brother laser b/w printer is the cheapest printer that uses WIFI. And I go through about one off brand printer cartridge a year.

I had to get a ream of paper last week, and couldn't get over how much quality paper now costs.

My cheap-o printer's good enough for me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Photo printing. I have a Canon Pro-100 inkjet photo printer (eight inks) used only for photo printing. It will do gallery-quality prints although it is slow but for my uses that's okay. We have a color laser printer for everyday printing.
I have an HP inkjet 5258 that was less than $100 a few years ago. It prints amazing photos, but of course that uses a great deal of ink. Yet printing at home still works out cheaper than a big box store photo kiosk for larger prints (anything bigger than 5x7). I can even refill the cartridge until it reaches the preprogrammed page count limiter HP puts in its cartridges.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If Ecotank works as advertised, saves on costs per print. Only about 3 cents per color page. Also, inkjet may produce better quality prints for photos.

Plus, I don't care for the tone fumes smell.

Must admit, there are tradeoffs though.

My ecotank prints MUCH better photos than my laser...

And for some reason my laser has not been kind to me on generic ink cartridges... have had like 6 of them stop working in about 200 pages or so... it is an old one, but I think it is the generic cartridges that are the problem
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
..... Of course we don’t need, or even want, high quality prints very often. So, if I really wanted a high quality photo, I’d print it at the local drug store’s photo center.

I rarely need a photo print, so I just get it done somewhere. At home we use a multi-function (everything) Brother laser B&W for printing.

I gave up on inkjets long ago.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #17
gone traveling

I was having wireless connection problems with my HP inkjet back in the fall and have been looking to replace with a Brother laser, but since the connection issue has gone away and the availability of lasers has been limited, I will hold off for a while.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perhaps those of you with color lasers that have had good luck with non-OEM cartridges can recommend a brand of non-OEM cartridges they use.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I go here and search:
https://www.staples.com/Ink-Toner-Finder/cat_SC43

OEM at the top of results, remanufactured below. I only use OEM, and have never had a problem.

If I buy from a office supplies store who has locations nearby, that works whether mail order or store bought. If I have a problem (and never have with OEM toner), I return the item to store.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My Epson Ecotank printer is back print heads no longer clogged .

I do a weekly check. One thing I noticed is the nozzle clog status isn't in real time. The nozzle print pattern may show some clogging. Then I do a regular (uses less ink the power clean) nozzle clean and may still show some clogging. Then I wait a day or two and do the check again and it may show no clog. That's one thing I have to keep in mind as didn't need to do a power clean this time around.

Overall, I'm still happy with this printer despite having to do this nozzle check dance from time to time.