Problem w/ Mac Screen Lighting Up

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Strange problem........normally when I raise the lid on the Mac, the screen lights up instantly. On occasion it remains dark for many seconds........
Yet it will act normally if I close/raise the lid again.

I know the Mac thinks the battery should be replaced but it works fine for my purposes .........guessing it will last 1-2 hrs before down to 80%. At first I thought it did it because the battery was low but it has done it when 100% charged.

My 2010 Mac does that sometimes, I just hit the space bar a few times and it wakes up. It's not bothersome enough to have ever look for a fix.

My 2010 Mac does that sometimes, I just hit the space bar a few times and it wakes up. It's not bothersome enough to have ever look for a fix.

Thanks.....I'll try that next time. I've hit other keys w/o success......return/enter key, etc.

Quit closing it. I suspect the hinge mechanism eventually wears out. Your Mac is probably pretty old if the battery needs replacing?

Hit the space bar to wake it up instead?

Thanks all for the tips. Now I know why my google search was not successful........I failed to use the technical term "sleep".

So far no luck w/ the space bar trick. Seems to awake after some 20 secs
w/, w/o the space bar............when there is a delay. Usually it's ok.

Thanks all for the tips. Now I know why my google search was not successful........I failed to use the technical term "sleep".

So far no luck w/ the space bar trick. Seems to awake after some 20 secs
w/, w/o the space bar............when there is a delay. Usually it's ok.

I'm not so current on Mac issues, but I seem to recall there is "sleep" and "deep sleep". And I think "sleep" means it mostly shuts down, but keeps everything in RAM powered, so it is fast to wake up.

"Deep Sleep" is what some of us call "hibernate", where it writes RAM contents to disc. This allows it to wake up again, even if it lost power during "deep sleep" (losing power would also lose RAM contents). But it takes time to read the contents back from disc. Twenty seconds is a good ballpark for that.

Maybe some Mac people can chime in on how sleep/deep-sleep is triggered or if there are settings to control it.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom