Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Apparently Apple’s free Numbers spreadsheet now has pivot tables.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...uctivity-apps/
That’s enough to get me to drop my Microsoft 365 subscription! Unfortunately that’s a hard no from DW even though she doesn’t even use pivot tables. I guess I’ll continue to spend $100/year to keep peace in our house…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

you can get the stand alone non subscription MS office on ebay as well
Old 11-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a great deal for Office 365 Family (up to 6 users) 15 Month Subscription. Plus you also get 2021 H&R Block Deluxe + State Windows. $69.98

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.4407349

I've now extended my Office 365 subscription and set for next years taxes.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Here's a great deal for Office 365 Family (up to 6 users) 15 Month Subscription. Plus you also get 2021 H&R Block Deluxe + State Windows. $69.98

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.4407349

I've now extended my Office 365 subscription and set for next years taxes.
That's a really good deal. To confirm, you got a code for O365 that you entered into your Microsoft account and it extended you by 15 months from your prior expiration date?

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
That's a really good deal. To confirm, you got a code for O365 that you entered into your Microsoft account and it extended you by 15 months from your prior expiration date?
Exactly. I already applied the activation code, I was set to expire in September 2024 (I already had a couple of other discounted offers applied), now set to expire December 2025.

As FYI - My original product/subscription was also purchased from NewEgg, so if you have purchased product/subscription from another vendor/source I can't say what will or won't happen.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #66

AsFYI - per Microsoft, if you have a "Personal" account, you can upgrade to "Family" and the remaining days on your existing subscription for Personal are automatically added to your new Family subscription.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-db94b9b0a36b
Old 11-25-2021, 05:17 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
AsFYI - per Microsoft, if you have a "Personal" account, you can upgrade to "Family" and the remaining days on your existing subscription for Personal are automatically added to your new Family subscription.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-db94b9b0a36b
I'm about to find out. Thank you, this is a great pointer.

Let's hope my luck is better than trying to steal get the Hulu $0.99 deal.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile
Old 11-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I no longer have any need for anything but Excel, but have found that OpenOffice Calc does everything that I need to do with spreadsheets. So, that's all that I use now.
+1000

When I retired, I immediately transitioned from MS Office (which was paid for by my agency) to Open Office (which is free). Open Office has been terrific and I haven't missed MS Office at all.

Like NW-Bound, all I need these days is Open Office's Excel equivalent. I use it every day for keeping track of my spending, investments, doing projections, and much more. Also the word processor and other functions are there if I should ever need them (but I don't, so far).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

When I retired, I immediately transitioned from MS Office (which was paid for by my agency) to Open Office (which is free). Open Office has been terrific and I haven't missed MS Office at all.

Like NW-Bound, all I need these days is Open Office's Excel equivalent. I use it every day for keeping track of my spending, investments, doing projections, and much more. Also the word processor and other functions are there if I should ever need them (but I don't, so far).
W2R; Do you know how this works if one gives up their current Office product( in my case Office 365) and you want to open an old word or excel sheet? Does Open Office convert the doc automatically?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have MS Office Pro 2003, and Office Ultimate 2007, but have not used them for a while.

I no longer have any need for anything but Excel, but have found that OpenOffice Calc does everything that I need to do with spreadsheets. So, that's all that I use now.
For me, the value of Office 365 is the cloud storage. With the Family plan and a TB of storage for each of the 6 users, that's worth the price of admission. I know, cloud storage freaks some people our or isn't necessary, but it's a great convenience to me.

Retired myself, I do some volunteer work and then having access to the Office Products is just a plus for the accounting and budgeting I do. However, I find myself using Google Sheets often even with Excel. But for really large sheets, I still go to Excel.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

I have been using OpenOffice Calc for several years and am very happy with it. Mostly just do a lot of spreadsheet stuff.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm about to find out. Thank you, this is a great pointer.
The deal through NewEgg worked great. I had no problem activating it with MSoft, and it automatically converted my "Personal" to "Family" and extended the subscription 15 months. No pain.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

As a 25+ year Microsoft shareholder, I implore everyone to update to the latest versions of Office, (or any other Microsoft software). The biggest pro is that you will be helping my assets grow .
Old 11-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
As a 25+ year Microsoft shareholder, I implore everyone to update to the latest versions of Office, (or any other Microsoft software). The biggest pro is that you will be helping my assets grow .
I'm an index guy and both Apple and MSoft are my largest holdings, surprisingly large.

So yeah, I agree. Update your Office and upgrade your iPhone. Go for it.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
W2R; Do you know how this works if one gives up their current Office product( in my case Office 365) and you want to open an old word or excel sheet? Does Open Office convert the doc automatically?
No conversions have been necessary, for me, anyway. Open Office saves and loads in the usual MS Office formats (like *.xls ), if you want it to. It has its own formats but I don't use them - - I just save my files in the MS Office formats instead.

Every day I open and use the same Excel workbook that I had for years before I retired and switched to Open Office. It consists of 26 spreadsheets in one file that I call "retirement.xls", and I have never had trouble opening or saving this workbook or any of my old spreadsheets. Everything is fine - - even the graphs and macros.

Since it is completely, 100% free, you would not have to pay a cent to actually download and play around with Open Office. Then you could see for yourself if it is completely satisfactory for your purposes. Given the complexity of MS Office, this double check might be a good idea!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #76

Those still interested in Microsoft Office 365 Family (up to 6 people) subscription, another great deal to extend (or implement) your subscription. You can have up to 5 years of subscription renewals. I've already got mine extended through 2025

Anyway, Microsoft 365 Family 12 month subscription for $59 (includes AVG 5 device package as well). Enter SAVM365F for promo code for additional $10 discount.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.4403403

Or get the Microsoft 365 Family 12 month subscription for $69, includes H&R Block Deluxe+State. Enter SAVM365F for promo code for $10 additional discount.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.4434055
Old 12-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #77

Yup-me, too. I also now have another newer laptop I've got as a dual boot Win10/PopOs Linux. The Libre Office suite meets my needs and I haven't had issues with Word compatibility. I will be retiring soon, so the need for a race car in business software will diminish. And, like a previous commenter said, I abhor the idea of renting software, music, books or movies. If I want it, I will buy it and keep my own copy. Otherwise, I'll borrow it from the library.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #78

My one W10 laptop won't be converted until TurboTax sends my return.