Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just for additional Info, I have all the devices themselves in an "Audio" Closet. It is basically our hall closet but happens to be conveniently behind the Right Bookshelves. I ran all the cables to the closet and installed a whole house URC Universal RF Remote system. I use the URC MX-880 series, I have 4 of them at the moment with MRF 350 Controllers. The MX-880 is not the latest and greatest, but I have tried a few and like them the best, easy to program and very flexible. I prefer "Hard" button remotes to the "Soft" touch screen type. They are really cheap to find used also. I have the programming software which is also handy.

I have no real need for HDMI 2.1, at least not now and probably never will.

$300 seems fair for a decent Receiver. I borrowed a Sony STR DH800 from a friend to get me by, but it does not have a Zone 2 setting, so my whole house speakers are currently dormant. But the Sony was the right price, at lease so far.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinMinn View Post
I am a two-channel audio guy, watching TV rarely and just playing it through my two-channel system when I do.

But I would recommend checking out NAD's AV products. As I was getting into audiophile type stuff, NAD was what I started with and I got some good value for the money. I think you'll find some deals on used gear because it's sort of entry-level audiophile stuff.

I have bought and sold several things on Audiogon.com. This is an interesting listing:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...8550-receivers
That NAD has no HDMI
Old 09-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I am on my second Yamaha (1st lasted over ten years). I am really pleased with the Aventage RX-A3080. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...0_u/index.html
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think I "may" have found a 2018 Denon AVR X3300W locally on Craig's List for around $300. It fits the bill, Was wondering if it is a good deal?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
This place always seemed like a decent place to get last year's models Denon (and others) receivers, refurbished, for a good price: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html

I personally would consider the Denon X line.
This is what I did. Refurbished Denon and Marantz receivers. Couldn't tell they weren't new. Officially approved by the manufacturer so there is a warranty. No problems after a few years now. The Denon was our cheap one for a second room TV with our first shot at Dolby Atmos.

I'd check for the latest HDMI specs since they've been changing at a pretty fast rate.

Other than that, find the Denon that meets your needs, find a low price, then read reviews and see if any of them compare it to other brands. That might give you a short list of receivers to look at in depth and price.

The 12V trigger output might work to control your fan. Otherwise some smart home stuff (Echo Dot and a smart plug) and a Logitech Harmony Hub would let you say "Alexa, turn on the TV" and turn on everything including the fan. Great for switching inputs at my house, something we used to have problems with.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #26

I have a Yamaha receiver and like it but there is one issue with it that I haven't figured out how to resolve. I have all the HDMI outputs from various devices connected to the receiver then connect the HDMI OUT (ARC) on the receiver to the HDMI Input (ARC) on the TV. This setup automatically turns the receiver on/off when the TV is turned on/off and only requires one HDMI cable to the TV. That part works but for some reason when the receiver initially turns on the source selected switches to a default AV source instead of HDMI, I then have to use the receiver remote control to select the source, after that it works fine. My goal is to just use one remote (DirecTV) to control everything, almost there but not quite. Other than that the sound (5.1 Infinity speakers) is excellent, much better than the soundbar I had connected. I contacted Yamaha and they claim the problem is with the way the TV (LG) uses ARC, it sends an extra signal to the receiver. Looking at some of the AV forums online seems to confirm this, sounds like it's not limited to Yamaha or LG either. May not be an issue for the OP with the universal remote, I may need to look into one.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

zinger1457, maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #28

Quote:
zinger1457, maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.

Seconded. You can always add an input switch command to the end of your program. I've been using Harmony remotes since way before Logitech bought them, and they're so useful. My BIL and I got one for my MIL as a joint gift, and she loves hers (after I programmed it).
Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.
No problems with the URC remote at all. Personally I prefer the MX-880 even though it is older to any other RF whole house remote I have tried. And for ~$20 each used, they cannot be beat. You do need the programming software though, which I have had for years, so no issues at all.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #30

Five years ago I bought a couple of Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 AVRs from Amazon ... refurbs. Have worked fine and were cheap.

Pretty simple setup: Yamaha AVR, smart TV, tiny Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the AVR for audio from iTunes, AppleTV that plugs into the TV (and the router), SiliconDust broadcast TV receiver that plugs into the router.

The magic is the universal remote that is programmable ... cheap Logitech Harmony 650 remote. Single control does everything except Yamaha audio settings.

We gave up on multiple OS and adopted an all Apple ecosystem ... hated doing it, but just way simpler for us.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

So no one has experience with a Denon AVR X3300W? Also when buying used how does one check that the device is 100% functional?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #32

Why is the TV so small?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Why is the TV so small?
LOL

1) 55" is large enough for the room.

2) I cut the hole and trimmed it for that size at the time. It is designed that if one does not want the TV there, it can be replaced with a Picture, Mirror or other center piece and still be flush with the wall.

3) If I were to replace the TV, the max size without looking really silly is 65". I would need to make the hole bigger and trim it accordingly. When the current TV gives up the ghost, I will probably replace it with a 65".

But in reality, we will probably sell the house with it. We need to downsize, so spending more in a new TV is not prudent. The Complete AV system will most likely stay with the house.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
So no one has experience with a Denon AVR X3300W? Also when buying used how does one check that the device is 100% functional?
I have a Denon S910W that cost $300 refurbished (which is not exactly used, but more likely returned or otherwise fixed up by an authorized third party). It's an official manufacturer program and carries their warranty. But I never had to use the warranty.

I'm sure the X3300W is fine and does exactly what it is supposed to. It will be 100% functional or you return it under the warranty (when bought from a Denon authorized outlet, which Accessories4Less at least used to be).
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I wish! My stupid Onkyo receiver, which I bought nearly 10 years ago, is still going strong. I wish it would die so I could get a newer 4K one!

I think the Denon AVR-X2400H would do me just fine.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I replaced my old Yamaha with a Denon AVR-X3300W. I want to say mine is a 2016. Absolutely love it. TV, chromecast, firestick, PS4, XBox, and SACD player hooked up to it. Also has wifi for my XM sub. Great options, love it.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am on my second Yamaha (1st lasted over ten years). I am really pleased with the Aventage RX-A3080. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...0_u/index.html
That is an expensive box. Never again will I ever spend more than ~$400 for an AVR. Those days are gone and my 66 year old ears cannot tell the difference anymore.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
I replaced my old Yamaha with a Denon AVR-X3300W. I want to say mine is a 2016. Absolutely love it. TV, chromecast, firestick, PS4, XBox, and SACD player hooked up to it. Also has wifi for my XM sub. Great options, love it.
Honestly I use none of those, even more honestly, I really do not know what a couple of them even are, or how I would use them. However, if I can get the x3300w under $300 I may go for it.

All I really need is IR in and out, 5.1 + Zone 2, at least 4 HDMI ports.

Unfortunately, I need 7.x to get zone 2 and not many units come with IR in let alone IR out.

I have 1 Xfinity Cable box and 3 Media Players each media player has 2tb or more internal storage, they provide all my downloaded video needs, I do not stream anything (At least not yet) just play downloaded movies and TV series.

The setup is really quite simple, just switch between HDMI ports for all the devices and turn everything on and off with a single remote.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is an expensive box. Never again will I ever spend more than ~$400 for an AVR. Those days are gone and my 66 year old ears cannot tell the difference anymore.
Yeah, it is and I spent a long time deciding on it. I gave up on the earlier model Yamaha only because it didn't support new technology -- ARC, 4K/*k?, etc. (In face, I still have it around for the first grandchild to speak up... it is a great piece of equipment still.)

And I am right in there with "never again"... this is/will be my last purchase of audio/visual equipment. In any event, my (almost) 80-year old ears are enjoying the 9.1 surround sound immensely.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Why is the TV so small?
I thought size didn't matter...

I upgraded a couple years ago to a 49" Sony TV from our previous 42". It was the largest TV I could find that would fit inside our entertainment center without making modifications. It is slightly undersized for our 11' viewing distance, but we've been quite happy with it. I never watch TV and wish it was bigger.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...stance-matters

Remember when a 25" console TV was considered a large TV? Heck, we had a 19" TV for many years and survived just fine.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote