Recommendations for a New AV Receiver

Can that shelf be removed or cut out for extra space?

Width was my limitation. I could have squeezed a 52" TV in our entertainment center but there wouldn't have been any room to fit my fingers around the edges. The difference between a 49" and 52" didn't seem all that significant so I went with the smaller size and haven't had any regrets.

My first entertainment center was limited to a 19" screen. I built a new one when I bought our first 42" plasma TV. I left a little extra room in case I needed to replace the TV, which I did. See ET Center 1 & 2 halfway down on this page: Anthony's Miscellaneous Woodworking Projects

I built the new entertainment center to be modular. If I "really" wanted to have a larger TV I could remove the two side shelf units to accommodate up to a 103" TV! Or I could build narrower shelf units to accommodate something in between.

TV Size Calculator:
https://www.blitzresults.com/en/tv-size/

Yes, width is the limitation, which is why I'd have to use a mount to let any larger TV 'float' out in front of the space, held by an articulated VESA mount attached to the underside of that shelf.

Thanks to all for the link to accessories for less. It is a great resource, I find myself checking it every day.

Seems like the more expensive units (Denon) just add inputs and a little more power. Personally I would prefer a unit that only has HDMI inputs and Optical. Anyways it is good to check every day as things change pretty fast. I am wondering how long it takes for them to get new inventory, one of the units I am considering are in the notify me section.

Oh! Speaking of accessories, IMO the best site for cables and other accessories is Monoprice. They don't offer free shipping, but their cable prices are usually very low, so if you need more than 3 or 4 cables (like if you're setting up a home theater), and can plan out what you'll need, they're a great bargain. Of course I usually order more than I need at the time, because having spare cables around is definitely preferable to finding myself needing a cable that I don't have!

...it drives me crazy to turn on the TV just to listen to music.

I don't think it's necessary to turn on the TV to listen to the radio if you have a "receiver." Maybe your equipment is different or your radio is separate from your amplifier.

With most modern amplifiers/receivers it's also possible to stream music via the network (wired or wireless). If so, the TV can be left off.

A music CD in a CD player is one reason to want to leave the amplifier as a switching device. (I haven't played a CD in years so that's not important to me.)

A major reason to leave the amplifier as the switching device would be if your TV downgrades the HDMI audio signal before passing it along.

I don't think it's necessary to turn on the TV to listen to the radio if you have a "receiver." Maybe your equipment is different or your radio is separate from your amplifier.

Would agree, most newer receivers come with Internet/bluetooth/USB connectivity in addition to the built in radio. Even if you use a blu-ray or DVD player to play music CD's you should be able to make a direct audio cable connection to the receiver.

I used to own a great Onyko and I purchased a Yamaha RX-A3040. It checks all of your boxes. I really like it.

My 2008 Yamaha RX-V1800 has every feature you can imagine. Think I paid 700 something for it.

Attachments

• RX-V1800_flyer.pdf
    585.2 KB · Views: 4
I loved my Pioneer 850 but now I have a SONOS and think it is really hard to beat it. The sound is great and being able to plug different size speakers 1/3/5 in wherever there is an electric plug and no speaker wires. I can stream all my music and music services. Check it out.

Craiglist is the way to go but you may have to be patient since a good stereo at a bargain price is usually sold very quickly. I have four stereo receivers in my house: The primary is in my living room and my three others are in my bedroom, my garage and my patio. My three others were purchased on Craiglist because people decided to upgrade so they sell their old stereo receiver at a bargain price. Bring your own stereo speakers and stereo source to function test the receiver.

I just purchased a refurbished 7.2 channel Sony STR-DHR790 to replace my 20 year old JVC receiver. I'm actually using it as a 3.1.2 layout using 2 upfiring speakers and it handles it fine. I wanted Dolby Atmos & DTS:X and needed a slimline model to fit my entertainment cabinet. It has everything I need and sounds really good. A step up from this is the 1080 model. Has more bells & whistles with 100 watts per channel(the 720 has 90 watts) but cost just under $600 new. My refurbished 720 model cost $230. And if money is no object their ES series might be worth looking into.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom