Robo Floor Cleaners

Bamaman

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My DW got one of the high line robot floor cleaners a couple of weeks ago, and she named her Rosie. I'm amazed how Rosie maps out our house and spends 2 hrs. daily cleaning.

And I cannot believe how much trash a rottweiler and two young kittens can put out daily.

The DW likes it so well that she ordered a second Robo Mop online.

Does anyone have any Robo floor cleaners?

How do I get my wife to quit talking to Rosie like it's a person?

We have 3 units.

At our Vermont house we have an older Roomba that does a good job sweeping our hardsurface floors. We also have a Braava mop robot that does a very good job.

At our Florida home we have a Deebot that does both sweeping and mopping.

Happy with all.

Can't help you with the last part... perhaps you can tell her that if she keep talking to the robot like it is a person that you'll call the guys with the straight-jackets. :D

My DW got one of the high line robot floor cleaners a couple of weeks ago, and she named her Rosie. I'm amazed how Rosie maps out our house and spends 2 hrs. daily cleaning.

And I cannot believe how much trash a rottweiler and two young kittens can put out daily.

The DW likes it so well that she ordered a second Robo Mop online.

Does anyone have any Robo floor cleaners?

How do I get my wife to quit talking to Rosie like it's a person?

It seems like lots of us name our robotic helpers some variation of Rosie. Mine is Rosey after the Jetson's maid. I talk to her too, usually along the lines of "Rosey, what are you doing? You know you always get stuck under there!" Our Rosey is definitely not the smartest, but she does a very good job cleaning.

... Our Rosey is definitely not the smartest, but she does a very good job cleaning.

Given that I just need to move a little furniture out of her way, empty the dustbin and push a button she does a great job.

What amazes me is how full the dustbin is when she is finished given the floor seems to be pretty clean when she starts.

I tried an Ecovacs combo vacuum and mop that cost $650 and I was underwhelmed by the mopping capabilities. All it was doing was dragging a damp cloth around the floor. It was limited to using plain water and it had no scrubbing or rotating ability. From what I could see it really did not accomplish anything.

The Braava Jet mop gets the best reviews out there but I have not tried it yet. I’d be interested to hear more from anyone who is using one. How well does it clean thinks like coffee stains and sticky items from a hard surface? Does it ever miss a spot that you still have to manually clean? Are you happy with the manufacturer’s cleaning solution? How long have you owned it and have you had any reliability issues with it?

I have and use a Braava mopper. It does a pretty good job. A nozzle in the front sprays water in front of the robot and then it goes back and forth over the water and I believe the pad vibrates. There are different pads and the cleaner is impregnated into the pad. It will clean light stains. There are YouTube videos showing the operation.

Ecovacs T8 AIVI

A year ago I bought a ECOVACS DEEBOT T8 AIVI Vacuuming and Mopping Robot with Auto-Empty Station from Costco for $800 and then bought the mopping upgrade for another $100. My wife has named it "Buddy" and continues to talk to it like it is a person. It works great (no animals) and vacuums the 2,000 sq ft house in about 2 hours and get under beds, tables, etc that we never reached. The mopping upgrade works great on the 1,000 sq ft tile floor. The mopping upgrade vibrates and works great. We use JAWS floor cleaner (the green stuff) instead of water because it cleans a lot better than plain water.
This purchase all started because we could not find a self propelled vacuum cleaner to replace the Hoover self propelled machines that we had used for the last 30 years. Amazon has lots of replacement parts and supplies direct from China manufacturers at less than half the prices of Ecovacs.

A year ago I bought a ECOVACS DEEBOT T8 AIVI Vacuuming and Mopping Robot with Auto-Empty Station from Costco for $800 and then bought the mopping upgrade for another $100. My wife has named it "Buddy" and continues to talk to it like it is a person. It works great (no animals) and vacuums the 2,000 sq ft house in about 2 hours and get under beds, tables, etc that we never reached. The mopping upgrade works great on the 1,000 sq ft tile floor. The mopping upgrade vibrates and works great. We use JAWS floor cleaner (the green stuff) instead of water because it cleans a lot better than plain water.
This purchase all started because we could not find a self propelled vacuum cleaner to replace the Hoover self propelled machines that we had used for the last 30 years. Amazon has lots of replacement parts and supplies direct from China manufacturers at less than half the prices of Ecovacs.

That is the model I bought, also from Costco. But the manual warns against using anything other than water as a cleaning solution so I was not comfortable experimenting with other liquids as it could void the warranty. I did not try the mop upgrade which does add some vibration to the pad. In the end I returned it because it was so expensive that I was able to buy a Wyze LIDAR based vacuum for $199 that works as well as the Ecovacs for vacuuming. And the Braava jet regularly goes on sale for $399. So the combined price of both was still less than the Ecovacs model.

We have a Deebot and her name is Dee Dee. Another Roomba specifically designed for pet hair. She is Dumbass.:D

Are these robot vacuums/mops able to go over thresholds easily? I have a mix of hardwood/tile/carpet throughout the house and have oak thresholds between each room, probably 3/8" high.

Are these robot vacuums/mops able to go over thresholds easily? I have a mix of hardwood/tile/carpet throughout the house and have oak thresholds between each room, probably 3/8" high.

Both of mine do. They even try to climb a 1" TV stand. Mine have large wheels.

Attachments

• Wheels_.jpg
    Wheels_.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 316
Our only problem is that Rosie calls my wife and asks her to empty her hopper often. If we wait 2-3 days between cleans, it goes through numerous cleanings in its 2 hrs. of running.

Oh, yea. She quits running when she gets stuck, and we have a hard time finding her in our house. We have too many places for her to hide.

We have the roomba with the self emptying bin and a braava.

We had a roomba years ago that has been relegated to the closet for ages. The new roomba is a huge improvement. It still gets stuck occasionally, but we run it nightly and so far zero issues with the wheels or vacuum itself getting pet hair wound around it.

The braava is more of a work in progress I think. We only use water, but I imagine a cleaning agent would work better. It regularly is unable to leave the dock. We returned the first one thinking it was defective, but it’s apparently a common problem. And it’s basically just pushing dirt around on a damp pad. Still, as long as we refill it and change the pads daily, it seems like the combination is good enough to keep the floors clean between our every other week housekeepers.

I love that I can have the roomba vacuum certain parts of the house and the braava comes through and mops only a subset of those. The mapping function is amazingly accurate.

Ours are named zoomba and moppa.

I have a Tesvor, and it has even has trouble with the area rug in the living room. The rug is in the center of the room leaving about 2' of hardwood floor at the edges of the room. My dumb Tesvor often gets trapped in that 2' strip of floor and hitting the edge of the rug is like hitting a wall. Sometimes it makes it over but then it's not long before it's stuck on the hardwood floor again. Not happy with this purchase, but it does fine in rooms with no rug. It does usually make it over the door thresholds though.

We have an Eufy, hardwoods floors and rugs, works fine, always amazing what comes out for clean people living. i.e. no pets..... i vacuum and wash floors weekly too....

this time of year, ya always get a nice yellow color from the dust in bin ;-(

Are any of them smart enough to avoid dog poop? A friend's dog got sick with diarrhea while he was away. The Rhoomba ran and sucked up quite a bit of it but tracked the rest of it all over. Seems like poop avoidance would be a good feature but would probably require vision and/or smell detectors. :blush:

I'm happy with my Roomba i6+ (the Amazon-only version of the i7+). It empties itself, makes an intelligent map of the house, and manages rugs and thresholds just fine. It's fairly quiet, more of a whir than a vacuum sound, except for the self-emptying bin which sounds like a jet engine taking off for about five seconds.

It maps up to 10 floor plans. For the secondary floor I just carry it down the stairs, set it down, tell it to start cleaning, and it figures out where it is. When the on-board dust bin gets full, it alerts me on my phone and I can either empty the bin like any Roomba or carry it upstairs, set it down anywhere, hit the "home" button, and watch it find the base station and empty itself.

Between emptying or charging pauses, it returns to where it left off.

There were reports of a software upgrade that did bad things to it's brain, but so far I've had no issues. Its gotten stuck once or twice because it jammed itself under a low piece of furniture, but that's all.

I have the cheap $130 Eufy and also call her Rosie. She does fine for my needs. I just guide her where I want her to clean with the hand held remote. I talk to her too but she does not seem to listen to me.

As much as I tried to ignore this thread, I kept returning to it. End result... I just ordered myself the Roomba i7+. We'll see what the cats think of this.

As much as I tried to ignore this thread, I kept returning to it. End result... I just ordered myself the Roomba i7+. We'll see what the cats think of this.

Well, I’m on day 2 of my new iRobot Roomba. I named it Hazel. She is a i7+ model.

I must say that I’m quite impressed and very happy. Yesterday, for the first pass, Hazel mapped out the house while cleaning. However, she “completed” the job without fully going down a hall and finding 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I was a little concerned. However, today, I ran her again and she re-did what she found yesterday plus got brave and ventured down the hall into the other rooms.

I’m quite happy with the cleaning quality. I’m not one who regularly vacuumed prior to this. Maybe once a month if I was lucky. So, during this first pass, Hazel had to work pretty hard. I also have 2 cats, so there was hair to be found.

I did prep the house a little to remove shoes, cat toys, electric wires, etc. But nothing outrageous.

I think I’ll have her clean part of the house every couple days. A couple of my rooms are low traffic areas and I have a couple obvious high traffic areas. So I think I’ll use the phone app to create some custom areas in the map to focus on as needed most.

The cats are apprehensive, but didn’t freak out. Hazel is not as loud as I expected when cleaning. When she empties the dirt into the base, she is as loud as my old vacuum for a few seconds. So not bad.

I spent much of the running time watching the job this first time to better understand how Hazel works. Being a former computer guy at my job, I’m quite fascinated by the algorithm she follows to get the job done. She’s quite geometrical based and somewhat predictable after studying how she works. Very cool.

Hazel is currently resting (and recharging). She has about 15 minutes more to finish the house.

I don’t currently have any regrets with the $625 purchase.

Been using Roomba's for years.... I have 5 or 6 but only one working.... We go through about one every ~18 months so I've been keeping the old ones for parts. I can take one apart, swap parts and put it back together in just a few minutes now. Probably could go to work for Roomba's repair dept. :)

The last one we bought (~6 mos ago) was a Shark IQ... It seems to do a better job at picking up the dog hair... Not sure how durable it will be but so far, so good.

Been using Roomba's for years.... I have 5 or 6 but only one working.... We go through about one every ~18 months so I've been keeping the old ones for parts. I can take one apart, swap parts and put it back together in just a few minutes now. Probably could go to work for Roomba's repair dept. :)

Our stopped working after about 7 months of not very intensive use. It just refused to charge. We went online and checked a few boxes ("Yes, the light is on on the charging station"), and the site gave us an RMA with a prepaid return label. I wish I had kept the box because I had to improvise that!

Sent it off and within a week we had a similar-ish model (sent a 607, received a 630, I think) that appeared to be brand new, with a note saying it was guaranteed for a year, or until the expiry of whatever warranty we had with the original, whichever was longer.

The 630 seems to be a slightly older model than the one we had, so I guess when they phase a minor model out they use the unsold stock for spares for other members of the same series. In any case it uses the same spare accessories that we had ordered.

While I would have liked it not to have broken in the first place, the experience was very positive and made me feel even better about the Roomba brand.

^^^^^

They are consistently changing model numbers... I'm not sure I have two of the same models but fortunately "most" (not all) of the part have been interchangeable.

I think they do it to make you think you are getting an improved model, or maybe to charge you more, or maybe both. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom